1 comment

Christmas Creative Nonfiction Crime

"Promise we won't tell momma;about her golden pearl. ...

that we sold."

The golden pearl shines and disappears in darkness.Everything turned up side ,down;Mrs Lucas room was all scattered with clothes down on the floor.

"Where is it? I remember I placed that golden pearl right

here on my dressing table, "said Mrs Lucas.

Footsteps were heard running down the stairs;Mrs Lucas shouting out to her housemaid in great anger.The echoe that shook the buildng;dogs barking -

Mary!

Mary ran towards the living room ;Mrs Lucas stood in the middle of the living room,stamping her foot. Fear gripped Marys' heart as she slowly moved close to Mrs Lucas.

"Yes! Ma you called me, "said Mary

Mrs Lucas had that serious face;her eyes lit like fire.For sure there was fire on the mountain as Mary was asked to call the other workers. All lined up as Mrs Lucas paraded like a commander inspecting an army.Femi and Fannel came down from their rooms-

"Mummy! What's all the shoutings, "asked Femi

"My expensive golden pearl is missing;who took it?" asked Mrs Lucas

"The golden pearl? The workers murmured among themselves; nodding their heads.Mrs Lucas stood infront of Mary; raising Marys' chin as she stared at her.

Mary!you always. .....

No! Ma I didn't take it,"said Mary

Did I say that you took it?",asked Mrs Lucas

No! Ma,"said Mary

Next time don't interrupt me when am talking,"shouted Mrs Lucas.

"Sorry ma-

Femi couldn't stop pushing her little sister Fannel; their mother blinked her eyes towards their direction.Fannel raised her tiny hand on the air;wanting to let out a word from her mouth.Femi hitting her from behind.

"What're you girls hiding?;asked Mrs Lucas.

"Nothing momma, we didn't take your golden pearl,"said

Femi.

Mrs Lucas stretched out her hand calling out to Fannel; letting her sit on her lap,handing her some sweets. Fannels' face was all covered with excitement; that she wanted to say the truth when her eyes met her sister Femis' eyes blinking at her.

"Sweetie! Do you know where my golden pearl is?,"asked

Mrs Lucas.

"No! Momma,"answered Fannel.

It was on December 24,2019,the yard all covered up with snow like a white carpet.Setting out together with her children to the Melvin street.A shop down the road that sparkled from a distance; Mrs Lucas held her daughters' hand but Femi and Fannel kept on pulling behind their mother.

Girls what's the matter with you?

A golden pearl shined on the shelf;attracting Mrs Lucas as she reached out to the golden pearl.The letter L was on it,holding it on her right hand-

"I marked this letter on my golden pearl -that's strange,"said Mrs Lucas.

The lady on the counter moved close to Mrs Lucas; tapping her shoulders.

"Excuse me, can I be of any assistance,"the lady asked

"Yes-Yes of course am attracted to this golden pearl and reminds me of memories. Where did you buy it from?,asked Mrs Lucas.

The lady couldn't stop pointing her fingers towards Femi and Fannel. "Those were the actual sellers who sold it to me....

what!

Mrs Lucas was so furious;staring at her daughters that brought fear running through their veins.Femi and Fannel took off on their heels ;running from the shop.

"Femi, we could have told momma the truth;now she is going

to be mad at us,"said Fannel.

"Will you keep quiet, am thinking, "Said Femi

Mrs Lucas eyes were light up with fire; her anger going up like smoke in the chimney. Grabbing their ears;dragging them into the car.

"You two have alot of explaining to do,"said Mrs Lucas.

Ouch! Momma it hurts -

Femi and Fannel were grounded for all month; locked up in their rooms.Tears filled their eyes;running down their cheeks,holding themselves at the corner of the room.

The door slammed open; their mother walked in with a long stick in her right hand.Their mother raised the stick in the air; letting it down to Femi and Fannel.The earthquake that shook the house, the screams.

"Momma! we're sorry-

There eyes were red like fire;they couldn't stop crying bitterly. The sun had gone down;darkness filled the air as the stars sang lullaby songs.Fannel had closed her eyes; sleeping like sleeping beauty on an empty stomach.

Femi walked into her mothers' room;standing beside her bed-

"Momma! There is something I need to tell you, "said Femi.

"Can it wait till tomorrow, sweetie,am tired,"said Mrs Lucas.

Momma- it was my fault;I stole the golden pearl coz I wanted

to buy a pair of skate shoes, "Femi said.

"Oh! Honey, you could have told me you needed a pair of skate shoes;I could have bought it for you, "said Mrs Lucas.

Tears rolled down Femis' cheeks; pulling herself away from her mother.The pain in her heart;the pain in her tears, the bitterness that kept on burning her;squeezing her eyes in pain.

No! Momma you don't understand; you have never been there

for us -each time you're busy,"said Femi.

Mrs Lucas held Femis' hands;wiping tears off from her eyes with a white handkerchief -

"From today I promise to always be there for you my girls -I love you,"said Mrs Lucas.

"We love you too momma- Femi gave her mother a big hug.

"Momma!

That's Fannels' voice as they ran into her room;Fannel was rolling from one side to another of the bed,calling out her mother in fear.

"Momma!

"Fannel!,"Mrs Lucas called out.

Fannel woke up from her sleep; fear covered her face as tears dripped from her eyes hugging her mother,sweat dripping all over her face.

"Sweetie it was just a dream -am here now,"said Mrs Lucas.

The birds were tweeting; the sun that smiled to welcome a new day-

It's Christmas -

Femi and Fannel competed of who to reach the living room the first;the Christmas tree, that shined so brightly with lights,surrounded with presents. Unwrapping their presents; the pair of skate shoes dropped from the box.

Wow! Thank you momma hugging their mother so tightly.

"I didn't buy those skate shoes,then who did,"asked Mrs Lucas.

The sound was heard from the roof;running outside to their excitement santa claus waved at them-

Oh-oh merry Christmas

December 03, 2020 15:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Therese Hudson
14:19 Dec 09, 2020

Great story

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.