0 comments

Drama

"Happy Birthday Roger!" Maybell said gleefully, as she spread out the white blanket, over the soft green grass; a perfect makeshift tablecloth.  She knelt down at one corner of the fabric and began to unpack her picnic basket. Today she had used the “special one” she had found at the Bucks Five and Dime store. As a new wife, she could always find whatever she needed there for an affordable price of course.

"I hope you still like egg salad" she said with a bright smile.

"I know grilled cheese is your favorite, but no one makes it as good as you do" she said coyly. "I can't compete with your talent” She huffed and sighed. “Perfectly golden brown and buttery on the outside, with warm ooey gooey cheese on the inside, and just the right melty temperature too. Perfect! She kissed her fingers and declared it was “magnifico! the best the whole world over; and I should know, I've tried them all.” “Well, maybe I am prejudiced" she sighed and waved her hand over the blanket of fine fair “these other far less-superior sandwiches, will have to do for today, because you shouldn't have to cook on your birthday should you? Now don't tell me you disagree” she said as she wagged her finger in his direction. “You know its true!" She prattled on in a bright tone, not waiting for a response. "Even in home economics class you stood out above the rest; well, I thought so anyway”.


She covered one half of the blanket with all the goodies she had made.  Sandwiches, fresh fruit salad, oatmeal raisin cookies and lemon chiffon cake with cream cheese frosting.

“Brandy’s grilled cheese was more like chilled grease" she said and started laughing uproariously. “She never could get it right, poor girl; they were soo soggy” she gasped as the laughter continued to peal from her bright red, deeply rouged lips. 


Her shoulders still shaking, she flopped onto the ground and rolled over onto her back, dreamily staring up into the heavens. She watched as wisps of white clouds floated across an expanse of azure sky. “Such a lovely day for a picnic…wouldn’t you agree Roger?” She put her hands behind her head and lay there, gazing up at him. Her bright blue eyes mirrored the sky above; a far away look came over her features. "Do you remember how we teased Brandy mercilessly? telling her she would never catch a husband with those cooking skills? and that she was lucky she was so pretty?"

Maybell chuckled. "I wonder what Brandy is doing today? I know she is not having as much fun as I am" She arched one dark eyebrow in his direction. "Come my love" she said and patted the thick, soft, blanket at her side, then lifting her arms seductively, with a pout on her red lips…. “Won’t you come and join me?” In anticipation she could almost feel his touch on her arms…

"There you are Maybell" a strange woman said, grasping Mabel’s arms in a firm grip. “I see you have fallen out of your wheel chair again” she tutted. The woman’s hands were dreadfully cold. Maybell looked up from the frigid ground, a little frightened, only now noticing the temperature. “Are you alright dear?” The woman said with concern. Her round features wrinkled with worry.

 “Oh, I don’t know … I think I have hurt my hip.” Maybell said, confused. “How did I get here?”

"We came in the bus, remember? Here now, let me help you up" the woman said kindly, lifting her into the black cushioned seat, and spreading a small dark blanket over her lap.


Maybell looked around confused, as the young woman helped her back into the mobility device. She had a tag on what appeared to be nurse’s scrubs, that said “Carla”, with a yellow happy face next to the letters. The only thing brighter than her name tag was the yellow ducks on her pink uniform.


“Do I know you?” Maybell said questioningly.

“Was that your husband?" Carla asked cheerfully, ignoring her question and pointing at the grave stone beside her. Maybell put her wrinkled hands in her lap.

"Oh yes, he was" she said proudly. "Roger; he was the love of my life you know" she said in a far away tone. “We met in home economics Class, in high school; He made the best grilled cheese sandwiches. In all the years we were together, I never tasted a better grilled cheese. I really don't know how he did it, I mean it was just grilled cheese”.


“It’s Roger’s birthday today” she carried on. Then in a wheedling tone; “Do you think we could have lemon cake for dessert today? with cream cheese frosting? It was Roger’s favorite. He always said so” Carla smiled “let’s ask the cook when we get home shall we?” she said as they slowly walked back to the handy-dart, mini bus.


Carla called out in a loud voice, as they reached the bus, “Happy birthday Roger!”


Maybell was startled. “Who is Roger dear?” She asked plaintively.


Later that evening Maybell sat in the bay window in her room. A knock sounded at the door. Without waiting for a reply, two little girls came running in.

“Grandma, grandma” they shouted excitedly as they flung themselves at her in her wheelchair, she pulled back a little, uncertain.

“Hello mom, it's me, Mara” a blond woman said from the doorway. “We thought we would come over and celebrate dad’s birthday with you today”. She walked over and kissed Maybell on her soft cheek. Maybell thought She smelled pretty; like roses. “I like your perfume” she said. “What is it called?”

“It’s called a 'A Rose by Any Other Name' remember? it’s one of your

favorites. I bought you some for Christmas”. 

“oh..” Maybell trailed off bewildered.

Mara sat down on the corner of the bed, while the girls played on the floor. Her face looked pained, Maybell wondered why.

“I brought your old photo album with me. Shall we look at it?”

“Oh Yes!” Maybell said happily.

Together they looked through the pictures of people Maybell didn’t recognize. She asked who they were as they perused the photos. The beautiful young woman, smiled sadly.

“That was your mom. My Grandma Beth. And those are your sons, my brothers, Mark and Jacob” Mara turned the page.

“This was taken at yours and dads wedding” Mara smiled; "that is one of my favorites" she said, her eyes welling with tears. Dad always said I looked just like you did on your wedding day".

She turned the page. “These are your grandchildren. See, there is Jane, and Lisa, who are here today. Do you remember? Maybell shook her head. Her white hair bobbed.

“Well, anyway, I spoke to the cook in advance, and they are going to have grilled cheese sandwiches for supper tonight in honor of dad’s birthday, and lemon cake with cream cheese frosting. I remember they used to have it here every year when he was still with us; just for him. But they never made it the same as he did, did they mom?

“I like grilled cheese” Maybell said.




September 09, 2022 20:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.