0 comments

Drama

  Jerry Sat alone eating his lunch, just an average day for the perpetual new kid. It was the first day of a new school year and Jerry’s fifth new school in the last nine years, his parents lived the vagabond lifestyle traveling to one place and working odd jobs until they would tire of the routine and move on to another city. This would be his last time as the new kid however as his parents had decided to let him live with his aunt in order to complete high school.  Jerry hoped that this time he would be able to make friends and find acceptance but had no idea or experience on how to do it.  As he sat there picking at his pizza he noticed a movement across the table. Looking up he saw two boys and a girl asking if it were ok to sit at the table with him. Jerry looked them up and down and agreed. “My name is Denise”  the girl began as she sat,” and this is Gary, David, and Sean we noticed you sitting alone and realized you were new so we decided we would  come over and greet you” Jerry, who had never encountered this behavior in any school he went to was slightly taken aback but managed to reply with his name and a weak “nice to meet you.”  

 The next morning as Jerry arrived at school he found Denise and Sean waiting for him at the front door. “Good morning,” Sean said cheerfully, “ we thought we would appoint ourselves your personal tour guides and get you used to the school and routine”. “Thank you” Jerry responded “I know I need some help”  “wonderful Gary and David will be joining us at lunchtime with other members of our group” explained Denise. The three walked into the school and headed to their 1st-period classes as the morning bell began to ring. Jerry had not noticed on the first day that Denise was in his 1st-period chemistry class but today was the day to choose lab partners for the year and he decided to ask her if they could team-up.  With that settled, Denise began to introduce him to the class. They amazed him with the warmth of their greetings and all the friendly handshakes and Jerry truly felt he had finally found a place where he belonged. 

 The first part of the day passed quickly and in every class, Jerry had Either Sean or Denise to help him break the ice and get to know his classmates. At Lunchtime the three of them walked to the cafeteria where they were met by Gary, David, and 5 other people who were quickly introduced. Conversation flowed freely as they ate and near the end of the meal the group all looked at David and nodded. David stood up and said “ Jerry we all like you and want to invite you into the group, on Saturday we are meeting at Denise’s house and going go-karting. You are more than welcome to join us if you want”.  Jerry excitedly agreed but was a little worried as he had never just hung out with other kids.  Walking to their next class Jerry told Denise about his life and how glad he was to have found this group. He explained how he had never had any real friends or time to get to know any. Denise confessed that Gary helped out in the admissions office and the group had known his past the entire time and decided to give him a great welcome to the school before lunch on that first day. “ we want everyone to feel friendship and know they have a place here with us” 

  The year went on and Jerry and his new friends grew closer as they hung out and went out to different activities: from rock climbing to watching movies they did it all.  About a month into that first year Denise, David, Sean, and Gary began discussing Jerry maybe running for president of the Freshman class in order for the rest of the student body to get to know him. Even though Jerry was not sure it was a good idea because he really was not well known and did not have any speaking skills he agreed to allow them to place his name on the ballot just for fun.  The next month was covered with speeches and talking to the student body.  Gary had become his campaign manager with Sean,  Denise, and David introducing him to different clubs and interests around the school. When election day finally arrived Jerry finished in second place, “not bad for the new kid” Denise had teased. 

   Shortly after the election, Jerry’s grades in math and chemistry started dropping and it seemed like he was in danger of falling behind. His friends would again have his back and they would add studying to their activities until Jerry was all caught up.  Jerry was amazed at this wonderful group of people that were always there for him and ready to help before this year he could only depend on himself, everyone else let him down even his parents who had jerked him around for so long. 

The group would grow closer as the year wore on, and by the end of the year, Jerry had felt so welcome and had overcome most of his hangups on making friends that he had gotten the nerve to ask Denise out on a date. She agreed and the 2  would not be separated for the next 57 years.  With the junior year, the group again chose to run Jerry for class president, this time he won the perennial new kid had finally found acceptance in a place he never thought he would.

     James sat alone eating his lunch on the first day of school, it was nothing new to him he had been the new kid 4 times in nine years. As he sat there picking at his pizza he sensed movement on the other side of the table. Looking up he saw a girl and three boys standing there asking permission to sit. As they sat down one of the boys began to speak “ Hi, I’m Jerry  welcome to our school” 

August 27, 2020 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.