The Writings of a Mad Man

Submitted into Contest #241 in response to: Write about someone who is convinced they’re going to be betrayed. ... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Suspense American

They're going to betray me, I know they will. It's only a matter of time. They're going to betray me like Judas did to Jesus, or like how Brutus betrayed Caesar. I know what they talk about when they think I’m not listening. But I listen. You see, that's how I'm going to beat them. I'm too smart. Always have been too smart. Sometimes I wished I wasn't so smart. If I were dumb, I would be content with the simple pleasures of life. But I'm not dumb, I'm not stupid. 

I started noticing patterns and hidden messages everywhere, from the news, to the paper, and even to the cereal box. Every now and again I would see the same news reports over and over again. They would disguise it with slight variations, but they didn’t fool me. 

Some senator always got caught cheating on his spouse, people in the middle east always attacked the same locations, Wall Street faced another crash, etcetera, etcetera. Sure they changed the names, the locations, the dollar amount, but they were all the same stories.  

They do it because they believe we’re too stupid to notice, and rightfully so. They weren’t counting on someone like me to figure it all out, but I did. Unfortunately, I just had to open my big mouth, and now they know I’m onto them.  

But why repeat the same stories? Easy, because they want to get our minds stimulated with distractions in the hopes we don’t see what they’re really doing. 

Every time I explain this to someone they think I’m crazy, even though it  couldn’t be more straightforward. Either they're too heavily brainwashed, or they simply do not care. I got to make them care. I came across this huge discovery, and it was so big I couldn’t keep it to myself. I'm a fountain overflowing with knowledge. I tried keeping it in for so long, but after years and years of build up I just exploded from all the pressure. 

They told me to get help. I even got the same message from the people I loved the most. I’m certain the phrase, “You should get some help,” is proof that at least ninety-percent of the world’s population is under the control of a hivemind. Why else do people act the same? Why do they walk in a straight line when neither one knows the other? Hivemind I tell you, there’s no other logical explanation! 

It’s not their fault, they don’t know what they’re doing. They put the mind control chips in the sodas and the sugary snacks. That’s how they get you. That’s how they almost got me. I figured it out once everything in sugar started to taste funny. I even noticed how the fast food that I enjoyed as a kid tasted fake and artificial. 

My war is not with my friends or family, my war is with the people in charge, the big people. They know I’m onto them, why else would they send the hive mind after me? When I say control everything, I mean everything! From the police, to the politicians, to the leaders of every country and nation. I was the only one who wasn’t under their control. That’s why they're after me. 

I heard my family whisper about sending me to a special home, but I know what they mean.  The people in charge want to send me to a facility where I can get reprogrammed, but they’re not going to get me. I’m too smart for them. I got my bags packed and enough gas in the car to drive anywhere in the country. 

But where Am I going to go? Three words. Off the grid. 

It's no longer safe to live in my home. I'm a sitting duck here. It doesn't matter where I'm going, as long as it's far from here. I planned to make my moves sporadic, to keep the ones in control guessing. I had it all planned in my mind for a whole year, but I told myself I wasn’t going to act until the time was right. 

Well, now is the time, I haven’t got a moment to waste. I’ve known that my family has been planning something for a long time, but now I know they’re going to do it soon. I got to start moving. 

I’ll be living under bridges, in parking spaces or anywhere that doesn’t have a camera or makes me pay for anything. They can track us through payments of any kind, don’t you know? It’s going to be a hard life, but at least I’ll be free, and that’s more than I can say about everyone else.

I hear my family. Their voices are rising in the other room. If there was ever a time to get out of here it’s now. Well, that settles it. There’s no turning back. I would keep on writing, but I can’t afford to waste anymore time. I’m bringing you along, don’t worry, but I don’t think I’ll write in you again. They can see what I write in your pages. I’ll keep you closed and hidden in the car just in case. Well, goodbye. 

***

What did I tell you? What did I tell you? WHAT DID I TELL YOU?  

I knew I was going to  be betrayed, and take a big guess what happened. Someone alerted the police. I don’t know who, but I do have my theories. 

My plan was working. I thought I had them all fooled, but I guess I was wrong. Someone in my family knew everything, and they told the hivemind.

I don’t know how. I didn’t put my path on a map. I even did my best to keep you closed and hidden so not even you could tell them where I was. 

I need to write all this down before they take you away from me. Maybe you can be used as a warning to the one who finds you, to the one who is as aware of the hivemind as I am. 

I hope you, the person who finds this, is more successful than me.

Heed my warning. 

Don’t trust anyone, no matter what.

March 16, 2024 02:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.