Lily Escapes her Predetermined Fate

Submitted into Contest #197 in response to: Write a story about someone successfully — or unsuccessfully — escaping their fate.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Inspirational Fiction

Once upon a time, in a small village on the outskirts of a bustling city, there lived a young woman named Lily. Lily was a beautiful and intelligent woman, but she was also born into a family that believed in predetermined fate. From the moment she was born, her parents had already mapped out her entire life - from her education to her marriage and eventual children. Lily was expected to follow this path without any question or deviation.

However, Lily was different. She had dreams and aspirations that went beyond what her parents had planned for her. She wanted to become a doctor and help people who were suffering from illness. But when she expressed this desire to her parents, they scoffed at her and told her that she was meant to be a wife and mother, not a doctor. They told her that she was destined to follow their path, and that it was her duty to uphold their family traditions.

Lily was torn. On one hand, she wanted to make her parents proud and uphold their traditions. On the other hand, she couldn't ignore the fire inside her that burned for something more. She knew that if she didn't pursue her dreams, she would always regret it.

One day, Lily made a bold decision. She packed a bag, said goodbye to her family, and left the village without telling anyone where she was going. She was determined to make her dreams a reality, no matter the cost.

Lily arrived in the city and found a small apartment to rent. She got a job at a local hospital as a receptionist, and began to take night classes in biology and chemistry. She studied hard every night, even though she was exhausted from her job. She was determined to become a doctor, no matter how long it took.

After three years of hard work and dedication, Lily finally achieved her dream. She graduated from medical school with honors and was offered a job at a prestigious hospital in the city. She was overjoyed and felt like all of her hard work had paid off.

However, Lily's success came at a cost. Her parents had disowned her when she left the village, and she had no contact with her family. She felt alone in the world, but she knew that she had to follow her own path, no matter the cost.

Years passed, and Lily became a respected doctor at the hospital. She helped countless patients and saved many lives. She had achieved everything she had ever wanted, but there was still a sense of sadness and loneliness inside her.

One day, as Lily was walking home from work, she saw a familiar face in the crowd. It was her younger brother, who had grown up so much since she last saw him. He looked surprised to see her, and before she could say anything, he ran up to her and hugged her tightly.

"Lily, I've missed you so much," he said, tears streaming down his face.

Lily was shocked and overjoyed to see her brother. She had thought that her family had completely cut ties with her, but here he was, standing in front of her.

They sat down on a nearby bench and talked for hours, catching up on everything that had happened in their lives. Her brother told her that he had always admired her for her bravery in leaving the village and pursuing her dreams. He told her that he had felt trapped in their family's traditions, but seeing her success had given him the courage to follow his own dreams. He was now studying engineering and was planning to move to another city to work for a large firm.

Lily was overjoyed to hear her brother's words. She had always thought that she had escaped her fate alone, but now she realized that her bravery had inspired her younger brother to do the same.

From that day on, Lily and her brother rekindled their relationship. They spoke regularly, catching up on their lives and offering each other support and encouragement. Lily was thrilled to have her brother back in her life and felt grateful that her journey had inspired him to follow his own path.

Despite the reconciliation with her brother, Lily still longed for a relationship with her parents. She knew that they had never understood her desire to become a doctor, but she hoped that they would be proud of her achievements. One day, she decided to reach out to them.

She wrote a heartfelt letter, explaining how much she had accomplished since leaving the village. She spoke of her medical career and the patients she had helped. She also expressed her desire to reconnect with her family and to share her accomplishments with them.

Weeks passed without a response, and Lily began to lose hope. She assumed that her parents had once again rejected her. But one day, she received a letter in the mail from her father.

In the letter, her father explained how much he and her mother had struggled since Lily had left. They had felt ashamed and embarrassed that their daughter had abandoned their family traditions. But as they read her letter and learned about her achievements, they began to see things differently. They realized that their daughter was not abandoning their traditions, but rather, was building on them in her own way.

Her father apologized for not understanding her dreams and explained how proud he was of her achievements. He invited her to come back to the village and to share her experiences with the community.

Lily was overjoyed to receive her father's letter. She had hoped for a reconciliation with her family, and now it seemed like it was possible. She accepted her father's invitation and returned to the village with her brother.

As soon as they arrived, Lily was overwhelmed by the warm welcome from her community. Her parents hugged her tightly, tears streaming down their faces. They apologized for not understanding her dreams, and told her how proud they were of her accomplishments. Lily was overjoyed to see that her community had not rejected her, but rather, had celebrated her success.

She spent the next few days in the village, talking to the young girls about pursuing their own dreams and ambitions. She spoke to the boys about the importance of supporting their sisters and helping them achieve their goals. She even spoke to the elders, explaining how her medical knowledge could help the community in times of need.

Lily's journey had not only helped her escape her predetermined fate, but it had also helped her community realize the importance of allowing their children to pursue their own dreams. Her story inspired young people to follow their own paths, and it brought her family back together.

Lily returned to the city with a renewed sense of purpose. She continued to work as a doctor and help her patients, but she also spoke to young people about the importance of pursuing their own dreams. She became a role model for many, and her journey inspired others to follow their own paths.

Years later, Lily looked back on her life with pride and happiness. She had achieved her dreams, but more importantly, she had helped others achieve theirs. She had escaped her predetermined fate and had shown others that anything was possible with hard work and determination.

May 08, 2023 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

20:46 May 14, 2023

This is a sweet story. :) Very nice 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen McDermott
08:25 May 13, 2023

Very wholesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.