Chose Myself

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

2 comments

General

"And now, welcome on stage, one of the rising star of the music industry Miss AiSh...", These were the words I was always longing to hear. Today I'm one of the most popular singers in my country. It didn't happen suddenly, there was a day when I chose it. I chose myself over the bullying and harassment of the society. I belonged to a very old fashioned community, I was always surrounded by the taunts and curses due to my dark skin tone. In this century, this might sound weird or funny, but it's the whole sad truth. About 6 years ago, I was standing on a road that could lead me to the right one for me,or the worse one for this cruel world. I've always been treated as my dark color is a curse for me and I should be sorry to have it. I was always told that you have no future now that you have this skin tone. That was so disturbing for me, I went to school till 6th standard, I was 16 y/o, I was sort of good in singing, but never got a platform. Since birth all I could hear was the cursing because of my looks. But I never bothered with it. That was a time when my mother started behaving like a stranger for a while, she just wanted to get rid of me and my face. That was the most heartbreaking moment of my life, that even my mother is not with me anymore, I used to think that why I am such a bad person for these people, I haven't done anything wrong to them, I also wanted to live my life like others. How just having a dark skin tone can set my life goals and limitations. I just can't take that scenario out of my head, that I was ordered to stay at home forever by now because they wanted me to do households so that in case if someone gets ready to marry me then I'd be able to be their servant. I was completely freaked out. I never felt like I can't do something, my teacher once told me, that there's a huge world out of this society to welcome you, it cares about the golden talent not the golden color, and I had a belief over this. Things were getting worse for me as I grew up, they were searching for my bridegroom, I didn't know what to do. All the negativity started ruling over me. I was about to forget my positive side that I had since birth. That was the day, when my life got a turning point, and my color wasn't my weakness at that time, it became my strength. I was standing in front of my mirror, crying like hell and my heart was screaming at its worst, somewhere I was about to hate myself, but my heart was begging me to love it. I wasn't able to figure out what can I do with my life now, I had dreams in my eyes, they all were getting faded by time. Somehow I started thinking about ending my life and committing suicide. But then I thought that God has given me this life, and have made me capable of doing almost everything then why to end this for someone else's opinion, I have right to live my life, to enjoy my life, this ain't my fault or anyone's fault, this is just me, having a different look than others that's it. There's nothing unusual. I'm still beautiful for myself, and then the two headed road hit me up, where I got my second choice of not to freak out and to do something daring for sake of my life. I wiped up my tears, held my emotions as confident as I could and decided to take shelter in the huge world out there which was waiting to welcome my talent of singing. I left my house and ran towards my dreams, then I realized that my skin tone was never a thing to think upon. And as I worked hard for my dreams, the world embraced me and let me show up confidently every single time. Yeah it wasn't that easy for me to just escape out of my house and to become a singer, I took help of many people, that was a bit scary too but yeah, not everyone is bad, all you need to know is the difference between the right and wrong. I met with many people with not so good intentions but before getting contacted I had all the courage to face all kinds of situations, I cried a lot during that time, I wanted to give up too, but I never did. When you really care about your life and work damn hard to make it better, then the world let to do it better, its not that hard when you have yourself with you. I don't understand why our looks even matter, are they gonna give this world something or our talent will make a progression. Its not a child's fault if he or she is having some kind of unusual looks, its all biological, we have got the brain to treat that and to deal with that. We are nobody to judge someone. We are differentiating between girls and boys, skin tones, religions, casts, financial status...what else has left now. Why the hell we are overreacting on all these stuffs. This is happening all over the world. I still recall that life changing day of my life everyday, so that I could become more daring and positive. All I've learnt from my life is, that "When you choose yourself to become a better person, that day you become the most important part of the world, because a better person is the one who makes the world better". So choose yourself, bring out the best from you and the world will be no less than heaven.

June 05, 2020 06:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Varsha R
08:14 Jun 11, 2020

Nice story. I can feel the emotions of the character.

Reply

Akriti Singh
04:01 Jun 18, 2020

Thank You so much, I've been waiting a lot to get some response for this, this means a lot...m still working to make it better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.