0 comments

Christian Contemporary Fiction

Surprise! The hairy, bearded, dissident little prophet did return to the noble land of Israel. It all happened, some when. He went by the name of Jay Cee, in the world of the 21st Century. He appeared, quite unannounced, in his modest and humble manner.

Israel had changed so much. It was, 2000 years later, a vital strategic base for the Pentagon and Judaism in the current world. Jay Cee gathered a few like-minded friends and distant relatives around him. He went around the land, sharing and caring, doing great work for his beliefs. The government of Israel thought his preaching was a bit of a nuisance, but were not too fussed. The officials thought he had been sitting in the sun too long.

Jay Cee and his message were still the same, a promise of good times on Earth, where everyone was on their way to a Promised Land. The people sometimes listened, some believed. Some forgot to pray, but they were humans, a swirling mass of thoughts, feelings and emotions. Jay Cee told them that their God did not make junk. He kept on wandering, barracking for peace, amity and freedom for all.

Jay Cee and his friends made it to Jerusalem, on the day of a significant soccer match. Thousands were streaming into the stadium, ready to roar. But unfortunately, the catering staff had called an impromptu strike. All the food concession booths stood empty and bare. Not even a coffee shop lingered there.

Jay Cee was not that fussed. He did offer to open one food stand, having a lot of faith in himself. He had brought along a couple of fresh fish, his mate had a few loaves of plain bread. Anything is possible. Soon, the word was spreading. One little bearded guy and his friends were serving grilled fish and plain flat breads. Rumors went around the soccer fans that there was even decent coffee maker, now making coffee.

The stampede was on. Good manners disappeared. The soccer club crowds were both thirsty and hungry. Jay Cee smiled and turned the other cheek, as his friends tried to get the crowds to stand in line. From this mayhem, order was restored. One of his rels took the orders, advising the customer that the magic words were, "Please," and "Thank you." Not the demands of "Where's my coffee?"

Jay Cee told them all, "Do not panic!" He was a total positive manifest. Soon enough, Jay Cee was making a double extra hot soy latte, served with grilled fresh fish, uncontaminated by mercury and lead, with a twist of lemon, and a sprinkle of lecithin. This came on flat bread, made with grains that had been unfertilized, with no pesticides in the pastures. Hold the sesame seeds. "Too easy," Jay Cee said, not bothering to explain how this came to be. He had a never ending supply of fresh fish, untinned, along with flour to make his flat breads.

His friends were soon in the swing of this feeding of the desperate crowds at the soccer match. Jay Cee was determined to feed them all, before the big game started in Jerusalem that afternoon. After all, football was the main priority. Everyone knows that. The customers kept on keeping on. Jay Cee kept on keeping on too. "Yes?" he enquired, "A vanilla latte for me, almond milk cappuccino for him, hold the chocolate sprinkles, plus two serves of fish and bread. "Please!" said one of the like-minded friends, "Good manners don't cost!" "How much?" demanded the next hungry member of the crowds, still lining up at the best food booth in town. "All for free, like faith," Jay Cee said, relaxing into calm. It was never about the money.

Boy, could Jay Cee cook. That afternoon, he was the best, and only, short order cook in town. His fish dish was the best, the hot bread really filled the gaps. The coffee machine was getting real workout. Jay Cee was staying in the food booth, definitely unflappable. He could handle it.

There was a sudden hush. Were there incoming rockets from the Gaza Strip? No, it was only the Palestinians' soccer match starting over the hill, not far away. Lovers gotta love football afternoons. Gradually, the crowd dwindled. It was time for the big event. As the last client hurried off to see the game, Jay Cee made his like-minded friends a coffee each. Individual choice was everything with these grilled fresh fish sandwiches.

Jay Cee personally liked a frothy coffee, and enjoyed sesame seeds on his flat bread

. He appreciated simple pleasures, as he kicked back in the stands, gazing at the New Jerusalem soccer team.

Jay Cee wondered at all the changes in Jerusalem, now 2000 years later. His friend asked him what was the biggest difference. Jay Cee replied, "Time passes, change happens. True love stays, like faith in our God, permeating, strong, invisible, seen in signs, timeless, endless. All change can be a mystery, always evolving...." Jay Cee turned back to the soccer game. His friends thought that his coffee was great.

Jay Cee stood and cheered. His team was winning, finally. No one had even questioned where all the bread and fish had been sourced. Still, miracles can happen. It had been a fun way of sharing his gifts, like a sign of the divine. Jay Cee was barracking hard as the forward kicked the winning goal. Jerusalem had been the underdog, but emerged triumphant.

Yes, the hairy, bearded, dissident little prophet did come back to Israel one day. He had always promised he would. What a nuisance! People in Jerusalem had started believing in miracles. Do you believe in miracles?" One of Jay Cee's friends asked him, quietly, "Do you think we shall ever one day, follow your star?" "The Israelites are still waiting," another like-minded relly said, finishing his late lunch.

"That will also change one day," Jay Cee commented, smiling, "It's cool to be kind."

"What are the Israelites waiting for now?" Jay Cee's long lost cousin asked.

Jay Cee just shrugged, smiling, benign, and ever caring, "No one really knows for sure...."

August 12, 2022 20:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.