0 comments

Christmas Friendship Fiction

The Cabin

Since graduating college, the six of us would always rent a cabin during the Christmas holidays in Gatlinburg Tennessee. The atmosphere and the kindness of people in Gatlinburg is amazing. This year it's only going to be five us. Thelma Brown, Kenijah Taylor, Bernice Robinson, Jody Smith, and myself Megan Riley. Last Christmas our dear friend Prissy Glover decided to get drunk, took a crap on one of the beds, and broke many expensive items in the cabin we rented. The owners, The Moore's, banned her from all of their cabins. This has been a twenty year tradition for us ladies. The rest of us, decided that we would keep this tradition going even without Prissy. It was Friday morning the day of the trip. We all met up at Thelma's house for breakfast. It was a long five hour drive from Crosstown, Alabama to Gatlinburg Tennessee. Jody had rented a nine passenger van from Enterprise the day before so that we would have enough room for our luggage. I enjoyed our road trips. We sang goofy songs from our childhood and talked about old times. The main conversation of this trip was about Prissy and her not being able to handle her liquor. On the way to Tennessee, it began to snow. This was one of the main reasons we liked taking our trips around Christmas holidays. Seeing a true white Christmas made the season even more festive. The Moore's told us to stop at the first gate to retrieve our keys when we got to town. There was an old man dressed like Santa Claus at the glass window of the gate.

Good evening, ladies,” said the Man.

Good evening,” said Thelma.

Thelma showed the man our information and receipt for the cabin. He took the information and wrote down something onto a note pad.

Here you go,” said the Man.

Thank you,” said Thelma.

You're welcome,” said the Man.

He handed Thelma the keys to the cabin. The name of our cabin was Big Bear Run. It was the last cabin on the far end. A large black bear roamed the grounds with her cubs. We waited for the bear to get out of sight before we got out of the van. Thelma went to the front door and opened it to take in her luggage. The rest of us followed suit. The cabin smelled strongly of cedar pine. It was time for us all to choose a room. Before we went upstairs to see how the rooms looked, we saw lights from a car behind the van.

Who is this?” said Kenijah.

I don't know,” I said.

A figure got out of the car and went to their truck. We could see someone dragging their luggage to the front door. The figure had on a large Jacket with a hood attach to it. There was a knock on the door. We all looked a tone another wondering who this person was at out cabin door this time of night.

Hello!” shouted the voice.

Who are you?” asked Jody.

It's me,” said the voice.

We all looked in amusement. Who could have told her the cabin that we rented? We didn't dare to answer the door. Prissy had no business coming to the cabin because she had been banned.

What do we do?” said Bernice.

We can't let her in here,” said Kenijah.

Come on guys.” said Prissy. “Let me in it cold out here.”

Thelma opened the door and let Prissy inside. She was covered with snow and took off her jacket. Prissy went over the fireplace placing both of her hands over the flames.

I can believe you guys,” said Prissy. 'I didn't think you were going to let me in.”

You're not supposed to be here,” said Jody.

Are you going tell on me? asked Prissy.

Of course, we weren't going to tell. Prissy was the fun girl of us all. We were concern because there was a large quantity of alcoholic beverages in the refrigerator. Prissy promised that what happened last year wouldn't happen again. That eased all our minds. It was time for us to choose our rooms. Two us had the rooms downstairs. Three had bedrooms upstairs. There was a smaller room inside the basement area with the pool table and video games. Since Prissy was the last one arrives, she chooses the room with the single bunk beds. We hadn't anything since arriving in town. There was a number on the coffee table with restaurant names on it. We choose to order a veggie extra large pizza from Broadway Pizza. It was after ten o'clock, so we had to order carryout. Jody and Prissy left to go pick up the pizza's. There was another knock on the front door. Jody and prissy could not have picked up the pizza this fast. I looked. I pull back the curtain and looked outside the window. It was Ms. Moore. She looked really upset. Thelma opened the door.

Hello Mrs. Moore," said Thelma.

Is there something wrong?” asked Jody.

Ms. Moore said that he old man at the gate that the guy said there was an unwanted guest.

Before any of us could tell her about Prissy being there., Jody and Prissy pulled up behind the van. Mrs. Moore face turned bright red, and she started to yell at Prissy.

Didn't I ban you from my cabins?” said Mrs. Moore.

I'm sorry,” said Prissy.

Leave before I call the cops!” shouted Mrs. Moore.

Prissy laid the pizza down onto the coffee table. She went downstairs to the basement to get her luggage. Mrs. Moore was extremely angry.

I'll be back first thing Saturday morning,” said Mrs. Moore.

She stormed out of the front knocking off an animal picture off the wall. We were concerned about prissy. Thelma called her cell phone to see where she was. Prissy texted back telling us she was going to rent a hotel and stay for the night. No one wanted to eat any of the pizza that night. The next morning there was a loud double knocking at the front door. Mrs. Moore had called the police on us because when thought we invited Prissy. She was a mean snappy old woman and didn't give us a chance to tell her what happened.

Where are my keys?' asked Mrs. Moore.

They're in the bedroom,” said Jody.

Jody went into her bedroom and got the keys to the cabin. Mrs. Moore stuck out her hand and Jody place the keys inside.

Leave my cabin,” said Mrs. Moore.

“What about our money?” asked Bernice.

You'll get your money back,” said Mrs. Moore. “You ladies are also banned from my cabins”.

There were two large built officers standing beside Mrs. Moore. We all hurried and put our clothes back into our luggage's. Mrs. Moore still standing in the middle of the room with her nose turned up at us as we walked outside the house to the van. We began to load our luggage inside. Mrs. Moore and the policemen were standing on the porch of the cabin watching as we pulled out the driveway. I took my cell phone from my purse to call Prissy to tell her what had happened. Prissy never answered her phone for us. There were several vacancies at the Hotel Indigo. We stayed at this hotel until we got ready to go home. Prissy joined us the day before we left the hotel. On our drive heading home it began to snow again. Next year for Christmas holidays we're going to the sunny delights of Tampa, Florida. A new destination and new adventures to explore.

September 09, 2023 03:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.