0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Coming of Age

Kathryn woke up for the third time. It was 8:00 this time. New Years Day 2024. Something was vitally wrong. She had no hangover, no headache, no mouth full of cotton and no unsettled stomach. New Years Day had been a recovery day for as long as she remembered. Resolutions. That's where it all started. One year ago Kathryn had woken up on Becky"s floor wrapped in a dog blanket. Sick as a could be and wishing she were dead. That's when she made the resolutions that changed her life. She would be disciplined, care about her appearance, and work for a promotion. And she never wanted to feel this disgusting again.

Kathryn had far surpassed her goals. She was so proud of herself, but she hadn't been invited to this years New Years Eve party. She didn't have a boyfriend, in face she only had one friend, Becky.And they rarely saw each other. And the outside Kathryn was now perfect, but she was depressed, lonely, and less happy than a year ago.

Kathryn's first goal was to lose weight and she had lost sixty pounds. She looked terrific had the sacrifices been worth it? She had refused all invitations to go out for drinks, dinner, and karaoke, because the temptation to eat or drink were too great. Slowly but surely the invitations slowed to a trickle then stopped all together. As she was counting calories home alone, her friends continued to go out and respecting her wishes stopped inviting her.

She brought her lunch to work each day now, and ate at her desk. Going to a restaurant was just too much. The aromas had to be avoided.

No out for drinks with the girls because alcohol was definitely not on her acceptable choice list. So rather than go out with her friends and just drink water, she chose to go home and eat safe snacks and a healthy dinner in front of the television.

Her parents were so thrilled with her new sense of discipline and determination that they had given her a large sum of money to buy new clothes. She went to a fashion consultant and had purchased a beautiful new wardrobe. Gone were the jeans and sweatshirt and instead she wore beautiful coordinated outfits that fit like a glove.

She had her hair styled, eyebrows done, learned how to apply makeup. When she looked in the mirror a perfect face looked back at her. She was very attractive but somehow aloof.

Her boss had noticed the differences and gave her not one but two promotions this year.She hoped they were merit jobs not just a reward for looking better. She began calling herself Kate instead of Kathryn. She moved out of her rat trap apartment into a beautiful condo. She even updated her car. But she was not happy.

She saw her old friends occasionally at weddings, showers, and birthday parties. But she didn't seem to connect the way she had in the past. She received many compliments instead of the teasing like before. She felt more self respect but a chasm she couldn't explain.

How had she misjudged? Why did she no longer laugh at their stories? Kate began to think she was depressed. Nothing was fun anymore.

Kate went to her parent's house for New Years Day dinner. She broke down into sobs at the table.

"Oh, my, what's wrong?" mumbled her father.

"Everything! sobbed Kate. I've reached all my goals and I'm so proud, but I'm not happy. I never get invited anywhere anymore. I have no friends. I spend all my time at work or home alone."

"There, there, said Kate's mother as she rubbed her back. I think I know what's happened. I think you've outgrown your friends. I don't know if you noticed but you were constantly teased by your friends. It used to break my heart. They used to tease you about your weight, your clothes, your messy apartment and lots of other things. You'd laugh like it was a joke, but sometimes they were very mean-spirited. Now you are thin, have nice clothes, a nice condo so there is nothing to tease you about anymore. I honestly think they are jealous of you. You are now the boss of your friends at work. Your relationship with them is necessarily different. You don't go out and get drunk with them every weekend, like you did. When you are sober, drunks aren't always appealing. At least that's what I think. Your father and I have watched you turn into an adult and we're very proud. You need to find new friends that match up with Kate not Kathryn."

" How am I supposed to do that?" Kate asked, still sobbing.

Kate's Dad added, "You figured out how to fix everything else in your life; you'll figure it out."

Lying in bed that night, Kate began to review her successes. She had accomplished so much, maybe her friends were jealous. That thought brought a smile to her face. She'd always wanted to join a book club but her friends had laughed. Book Club is resolution number one. There were some classes she was interested in and now was the perfect time to pursue them; starting with ballroom dancing. Volunteering was another way to meet people she would look into that also. Maybe she would consult a psychologist to get help understanding her inside self. 2024 was going to be a very challenging year. But now Kate was looking forward to challenges.

Who would know that her parents would have the answers? Kate giggled herself to sleep.

Tuesday morning Kate entered the parking garage. As she was about to climb into her car a very handsome man approached her.

"May I borrow your phone? I'm moving in and I accidentally locked my phone in my car."

"Yes, of course. My name is Kathr, I mean Kate. Welcome to the building. Maybe you would like to come to dinner one night while you're getting settled?

"That is so thoughtful of you. I have tons of questions about the area. Are you, by chance available tonight?"

"I think I could arrange that. Seven o"clock at #201?"

"My name is Bob, and I look forward to this evening. I'm right next door to you, by the way."

"See you tonight!"

Kate found herself humming on her way to work.

December 31, 2023 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.