The Little Thief

Written in response to: Start or end your story in a bustling street food market.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids Happy Friendship

 The air was saturated with the scents of roasted pig, sweet caramels, toasted nuts, dried fruits and several more exciting foods. The smells would have been enticing if not for the vast amount of sweaty people hurrying along the narrow streets. The food mixed with the sweat made the air heavy and humid and some people went as far as to put a clothe’s pin on their noses.

Of course, it was even worse for the cat crossing the walkway whose nose was fourteen times better than any humans. But the Cat didn’t complain. Mostly because, being a cat, she was literally incapable of complaining but also because she knew it was necessary. At the moment the cat had her head half-way into a can of Campbell soup and was attempting to drag her way out. The cat found cans extremely annoying. It was like they were designed specifically to make it difficult to stick one’s head in. The sides were razor sharp and sometimes the lid semi-covered the opening. Irritating. 

There was a young girl on the busy street watching the cat. Her name was LilyAnn and she was wearing a pink flowery dress that clashed horribly with her red hair. But LilyAnn loved her dress and wore it as often as she could get away with.

“Mommy! Mommy! Look! There’s a kitty! It’s so silly, mommy,” LilyAnn giggled. Her mother let out a “Hmmm” which everyone knows (even six year old redhead girls) basically means “I’m not really listening.” 

“But look! Its head is in a can! Isn’t that so funny?” Her mother didn’t look her way and continued haggling the price of potatoes. LilyAnn sighed and bent down and reached a hand towards the cat. 

The can of soup was finally starting to lodge off the cat's head and when it finally rolled away LilyAnn saw that the cat was striped brown and white. Its eyes were big and yellow. Its fur was sticking up at all the ends and it had a wild look about it. She, being six, thought it was the prettiest cat she’d ever seen.

“I’m going to call you Campbell,” she whispered to the cat. “Like that can of soup.”

They were interrupted by a shriek. LilyAnn turned to find that her mother was rushing towards her. “Lily, love! Don’t touch it! It could have rabies or diseases! Move away!”

“But, Mom!”

“No, buts! Step away now!” LilyAnn scowled and let her hand drop. Inches away from Campbell. Campbell, unperturbed from Mother’s shrieks, nuzzled his nose against LilyAnn’s palm and sauntered away. And if she had been able to understand English the “disgusting critter” LilyAnn’s mother muttered would surely have brought Campbell great pleasure.

LilyAnn’s mother, otherwise known as Mrs. Thomas, took her daughter's hand and led her to a nearby stand selling candied apples. Allowing the cat time to slip unnoticed from her sight and onto the busy road. Shop venders let out yells of anger when Campbell walked across they’re stands. Mashing fruits and baked buns alike. Campbell nimbly raced away from a particularly angry baker who chased after her with a broom. 

Campbell’s next victim was in sight. She was a tall man wearing green in front of a pizza stand. Campbell licked her lips and started forward. The pepperonis called to her. Campbell hopped from the ground onto a trash can. She could search it for food later if things at the pizza stand went badly. From there she jumped onto the umbrella of an ice cream vendor. And lastly she ponced from the umbrella onto the counter of Pete’s Pizzas! and rewarded herself with a self-satisfied purr. 

Campbell reached a paw out for a pizza. Unfortunately for her the cashier noticed and he shoved Campbell off the counter. Campbell hissed.

“Aw. Is the wittle-kitty angry,” he asked. His voice dripping with so much condescension that Campbell felt justified in biting him. Truth be told, Campbell couldn’t understand what the man was saying. She just thought the human was annoying.

“ARG! That devil’s gonna take my leg off,” yelped the vendor. But by that point Campbell was already hurrying away.

           Campbell marched into the nearby alleyway and lifted her nose. Perhaps she would smell a mouse or some other easy prey. Whatever she did, it had to be sooner rather than later. Time was wearing on.

“Uh oh. Have you been naughty,” asked LilyAnn. Who had not, in fact, been distracted by the candied apples and had followed Campbell as the cat embarked on her mission. “That’s okay. Sometimes I like to be bad too.”

Campbell lay down indulgently as LilyAnn stroked her matted fur. Campbell didn’t mind the girl. And the stroking was nice. Anyways, it was calming after the failed pizza misadventure.

But there was work to be done. So after a few minutes Campbell sprang up and walked back to the crowned food market. It hardly seemed possible but in the last twenty minutes it had grown hotter still. Sweat poured down the necks of tall men and women were hurriedly buying perfumes to disguise the smell surrounding them.

        LilyAnn trotted after the cat. She held a handful of her skirt in one hand and ran her fingers over shop windows and fruit stands alike. 

        “Where are we going, Campbell?”

         Campbell released a long “Meooooow” that LilyAnn interpreted as “Just getting some groceries”.

        “Oh. Mommy does that too. Come on, I’ll take you. I don’t think they let kitties buy food on their own.” And without further ado LilyAnn scooped up a yowling Campbell and marched towards a shop with an open door.

        Once inside, LilyAnn deposited Campbell in a basket and walked along the isles murmuring their contents to Campbell.

       “Look, canned peaches! Those taste yummy with sugar and cream. Oh! And they have fresh bread! Is that what kitty wants? They even have some yucky tuna. Do cats like tuna?” Campbell purred in response. “Oh, okay. I’ll put in some tuna.”

        Girl and cat soon reached the register. The shop was small and crowded. People gave Campbell very dirty looks. When they finally reached the front of the line a woman with a name tag that read “Debbie” (though, neither the cat or the girl could read) smiled at LilyAnn kindly.

        “Alrighty, darling! Your turn. What do you-AHHHH!! CAT! THERE'S A STRAY IN YOUR BASKET,” Debbie shrieked. It must be said that most people would not react so extremely when a stray was in their sight but Debbie had a bit of a vendetta against strays. They always crept into her shop in the night and stole her tuna.

         “Oh yes! This is Campbell. I’m helping her get some groceries,” LilyAnn said, amiably.

         “Get it out! Get out! Get out now!” Debbie shooed them out the door and called after them. “If I ever see that demon cat in here again I’ll cook it!”

         As would be expected of most six-year-olds at this point, LilyAnn started crying. She didn’t understand why the lady was so angry but it made her sad. And mad. And grumpy. All at once. Campbell was mostly upset that LilyAnn hadn’t stolen the tuna on the way out. 

        “Why did she have to be so mean, Campbell? Why don’t they like kitties?” Campbell gave the cat version of a shrug and walked down the alleyway. “Well, I do still have something for you,” LilyAnn said. She held out a handful of candied apples (just because they hadn’t distracted her didn’t mean she hadn’t still taken some). Campbell sniffed it first and then took it from her. Campbell purred softly.

         “Your welcome,” LilyAnn responded.

Campbell came to a decision. She was hungry and she had waited so long. Anyways the girl had proven herself trustworthy. So Campbell trotted off to a new part of the market. LilyAnn trailing behind her. They dodged between shop owners and umbrellas until they were in a deserted alleyway.

“Oh, is there where you come to eat your food,” asked LilyAnn. Campbell ignored her and went to a bundle of blankets in the corner. She mewed softly and set down the candy apples. 

Three tiny kittens emerged from the blankets and ate the candies. LilyAnn squealed and softly stroked their fur.  She understood now. Why Campbell tried to steal so much food.

“You're a good mommy,” LilyAnn whispered to Campbell. She couldn't wait to tell her mommy. She would prove that Campbell wasn't just a stray. She was a good kitty, really.

The little kittens nipped and meowed at LilyAnn playfully. Maybe LilyAnn would even find a way to keep them.

Campbell purred. Not everyone would understand why she had to take this food. But she didn’t care. She had babies to feed and kittens to raise. Anyways, she was more than just a little thief.

The End.

December 16, 2023 00:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.