0 comments

General

What were the chances? Chris Murphy asked himself silently. A detective’s business broken into? Chris shook his head. There was no escaping it. As soon as he reported the break in and he had to report it, right, several detectives from his squad would be in his shop. They would find out what Chris does in his spare time and what he kept secret for three years. He could hear it now, all the teasing and joking. Well, no need to put it off. He took out his cell phone and dialed his Captain.

“Captain Johnson, there’s been a break in at 761 Mulrony Street.”

“Okay, so why are you calling me? You certainly know how to investigate a break in. Get busy.” Captain Johnson was older and this morning he was grumpy. He sounded as if he hadn’t had his coffee yet.

“Uh, Sir? Uh, I can’t investigate this one. It’s my business.”

“Your business? I didn’t know you had a business Murphy. We’ll talk about that later. I’ll get a couple of men down there. 761 Mulrony, right?”

“Yes Sir. That’s right. I’ll wait for them outside.”

A half an hour later the standard black detective’s car that looked like a tank that an elderly couple would drive, parked in front of the building. Chris was waiting outside for them.

One of the men looked at the sign above the door then looked at Chris. “Cap says this is your business? Is that right?” He sounded doubtful.

“Yes Jim, it’s my business.”

Laughter came from the detective standing behind Jim. “Well what do you know? Our lead detective owns a doll shop.”

“Go ahead Paul, get all your laughing done now so you can get on with the investigation. You know I can’t help because it’s my business.”

“Ooo, let me into Le Petite Maison. I can hardly wait to investigate this one. C’mon Jim, let’s go.”

Once the detectives were in the shop, they noticed not only was it a shop that sold dolls, but dolls were made there. Several of the dolls were broken and in the back room where dolls were made there were broken molds and doll parts. The door on one of the kilns had been pulled off its hinges.

Paul picked up a doll head that had been broken in half, “Ooo la la, I have a splitting headache.” Then he picked up another broken doll, “Help me, help me please.”

“Chris you have a seat out front and let us look around and see what we can find. Paul stop with the smart remarks. We’ve got a job to do, let’s get it done.”

The detectives dusted for fingerprints. But they knew it would be impossible to discern anything from fingerprints because of the number of people who came and went through the shop.

They picked up pieces of dolls and put them in evidence bags. They did the same with the molds. Maybe the perp’s fingerprint would be on some of the pieces.

The three detective drove back to the station to take Chris’ statement. He told them how he went to the shop to wait for his manager and found the lock broken and the store and shop as they saw it.

“How much money was taken, do you know?” Jim asked.

“I’ll have to contact my manager, but there shouldn’t have been more than five hundred dollars in the safe.”

“What about the manager? Do you trust him?”

“Her. Yes, I do. She’s been with the store since it opened.”

“We’ll need her name and address and we’ll have to call her in for a statement.”

“Yeah, I know. I really hate that. Lucy is a good employee and she’s loyal. I know she didn’t have anything to do with this.”

“Sometimes circumstances guide loyal employees. What’s her name and her cell phone number? Oh, I need the number for the shop too.”

“Lucy Jenkins.” Chris slid his phone to Jim. “Here’s her number. And here’s the number for the shop.”

“How many people do you have making dolls right now? God Chris. Selling dolls? Do you make them too?”

Chris rubbed his brow with his hand. “Yes Jim, I make dolls too. Go ahead with your jokes and get it over with.”

“Man, I’m so surprised I don’t know how to joke about it. What got you started?”

“When I was a boy, my mom started taking doll making classes. I would go with her sometimes. I got interested in it. And before you ask, three years ago this shop became available and I saw an opportunity to make some extra money. God knows the town doesn’t pay us enough to live on. So, I bought it. I save money by giving the lessons myself. What can I say? The extra money is a big help.”

Jim shook his head. “I sure wish it was some other business. Okay for now I’m finished with your statement. I’ll talk to Lucy uh Jenkins. I’m sure there will be more questions later. Man, I really don’t envy you. The guys are going to have a blast with this.”

“Yeah, thanks.”

Over the next week Chris endured all kinds of teasing and jokes. He found tiny dolls in his desk drawer, he was called to the scene of a found baby that turned out to be a very lifelike looking doll, sounds of “Mama, Mama” could be heard at odd times in the office. Chris preserved with his work and tried to ignore the ribbing. He knew Paul was behind most of it.

The next week on his afternoon off Chris was working in the shop when Jim and Paul came in. They had a possible lead and wanted to talk with him about it.

“I’ll be right with you guys. Let me ring up this doll.”

Jim and Paul were surprised at the amount Chris got for the doll. When the customer left, they followed Chris to the room where the dolls were made.

Jim asked, “Do all the dolls cost that much? That’s more than I make in a week.”

“Yep, most of them do. I made that one. The hand made dolls go for a lot. They are all one of a kind. It’s not unusual for one to cost twice that much.”

Paul whistled.

In the back there were two students Lucy was helping. This was the first time Paul had seen Lucy. She had shoulder length straight black hair. Her eyes were laughing, dark brown. She was a very beautiful woman.

“Lucy, will you please watch the front while I answer some questions for these guys?” Chris asked.

“Of course, Chris.” Lucy moved very close to Chris and said in a low, husky voice, “We are still on for tonight, right?”

Chris smiled, “I’ll let you know.”

When Lucy left, Paul asked, “How much profit do you think you make a week, on average?”

Chris looked questioningly at him, “Oh I’d say about eight thousand, why?

“Eight thousand extra a week, and a girlfriend who looks like that? Man, I’m sorry for every bad thing I said about your business. Where can I buy a doll shop?”

 

November 09, 2019 09:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.