The Untold Secret

Submitted into Contest #13 in response to: Write a story about an eventful evening of trick-or-treating.... view prompt

1 comment

Kids


The quiet village deterred me to go there to visit this home I have not been there for years. It felt like a theater waiting for the curtain to rise.

Heat steamed off the cobbled streets children walked, laughed and screamed in excitement as i stood there and wondered what to do next.

Trick-a-treating it is, and a night to remember for everyone following the footsteps of the others I walked along as kids do with their heads down staring at the cobbled stones.

The hilltop chapel remained in its shadow while goats trailed the path.

It was siesta time for the village people and the bells broke this silence heard on this fine afternoon scared me away for a moment, as I was in deep thought of visiting the house, I have not been to in many years.

In the lower village I noticed the blue door of the old house that stood on a small hill facing the sun set.

Many distractions delayed my visit to this house, but I tried again and again to go there and to see for myself.

Outside the cobbled streets I ran and played with other kids to make the night of Halloween a fearful night for us.

An imaginary friend called Josh followed me wherever I went, it felt good to have someone to chat to through my adventures. It was a dark and cold evening to go trick-a-treating through the village as the noise increased it empowered me to go along with my friends.

Often my imaginary friend encouraged me to visit other houses in the village.

It felt normal to have an imaginary friend close to me.

At the table I had a plate set, so my imaginary friend can eat next to me.

I knew my imaginary friend won’t be a secret if I shared it with my family.

A bus slowed down on the street I looked ahead, and kids went running toward the bus they got inside that was our ride to go trick-a-treating.

I didn’t feel like getting on the bus it wouldn't make trick-a-treating feel exciting and fearful.

In our old house my sister played in the attic and peeped through the window and watched the other kids go trick-a-treating door to door, while I walked with my imaginary friend to avoid getting on the bus ride.

It was at that time I followed other kids into the dark streets of the village. Josh sat down next to me on the cold bench and I thought of which houses to visit along the way home.

Each moment that Halloween night felt cold and scary a weird thing happened to me that night, Josh disappeared.

I sat alone on the old concrete bench when suddenly, I felt something brush against my arm. It felt ticklish and at once I turned around and saw a black cat with shiny green eyes look at me.

This cat was neurotic!

I felt scared to go trick-a-treating without my imaginary friend the cat gave me the shivers and a bad feeling for that evening.

The village people felt unsettled when the cat appeared.

Trick-a-treating was eventful but the house I visited was quiet.

Nobody was there!

The opened door flung opened and I saw my basket get filled with candy but saw no one do it.

I realized that moment when I felt odd and freaky I knocked on the blue door hard and felt afraid of who is in that house.

A scary moment it was and going through the moment of losing my imaginary friend, Josh could not pass my mind.

I tried to get rid of that empty feeling of sadness and weirdness in me.

The cat sat next to me and the disappearance of Josh pressured me to go home.

 I didn’t have a peace of mind until I had gone back to the old house on the hill.

The blue door squeaked open and out came this big woman with large-sized arms and there was that black cat sniffing the air.

I felt the hair on my hands stood on its ends when I saw this woman at the entrance of the old house.

Inside the cottage the silence trapped me for that minute.

The old woman looked distracted and it was an ugly reminder of a haunted house.

A spooky experience in a house where the old woman lived, it was the ghost the owner of the house.

Something walked and made a strange noise I stood at the door waiting for candy treats and nobody came outside.

A few minutes later, a shadow went by the doorway I felt a breath of something on my neck as I stood there speechless. My feet were numbed, and I couldn’t move from the spot where I stood motionless.

Spirits were still lingering in this old house. 

I don’t know how I got home that night the next morning I had collapsed on the bed.

Ghost activities I heard from this old house from the basement reminded me of my sister in the basement.

My bed felt sunk in and the whole experience drained the color from my face.

The basement door in my home swung open on odd times on its own.

I ran up and down the stairs feeling weak from the trick-a-treating night out but for a while had forgotten about Josh my imaginary friend.

It suddenly struck me that I can be alone and face the horrid feeling of seeing ghosts.

A voice called me many times outside in the dark and it insisted I come over to this dark place. As many times as I ran inside to outside this voice called me to that dark place. I got scared after hearing the voice. Repeatedly, I heard a voice it sounded horrible. The ugly reminder of the old house from our basement didn’t give me a good feel of the village life. For the first time, I saw the sun come through the trees and leave me feeling refreshed.

A dull noise came from the basement leaving me feeling a weight had been lifted of my shoulders. I didn’t feel scared this time I felt free of that spirit lingering across the basement. I didn’t know the truth of the ghostly spirit in our home. My heart felt scared from this experience. A shadow passed me three times and a sudden quietness afterwards.

The empty basement was filled with noises from laughs to screams and then nothing was heard.

It gave me a fearful Halloween evening and will not forget it!

It wasn’t Josh outside it was something else a secret I will never know now!


October 25, 2019 15:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ryan Hunter
22:47 Nov 06, 2019

Interesting story, man. It was kind of like reading an improved jazz song if that makes any sense. I like the free-flow, train of thought thing that you had going on but it did lose me from time to time. You’ve got a number of run on sentences here, it did put me in mind of hearing a child tell a story but made it challenging to read. Seemed to have quite a few repeated ideas and some elements were introduced and forgotten. Still, sounds like a crazy night.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.