LOVE THAT CONQUERS

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

2 comments

Science Fiction Romance Mystery

Bronze Daniels, a handsome young man in the prime of life. The only surviving soldier out of five a hundred of soldiers who invaded an alien hill land forest occupied by zombies, a crowdof humans who once died and came back into existence.

Unfortunately, it was assumed and declared that all the soldiers died after six months of research.

On the contrary, Bronze Daniels survived and got stuck in the forest, for the only possible exit was to pass through the territory of the zombies.

Bronze Daniels lived one year and two months in hide outs from the zombies in the rock caves.

Having lived fourteen months in the forest alone, Bronze Daniels turned into a monster in appearance, he had torn clothes and long hair and beards.

On the other hand, a very beautiful and arrogant young attractive lady, Melisa Philip, a daughter of the wealthy influential man, Mr Alexander Philip was on her father's private plane flying to Cariton, a city just after the alien hill land forest, on her vacation with her friends.

As they were about to reaching the hill land, the weather condition became unbearable, the pilot failed to control it, upon reaching the hil land, the plane crashed inside the hill land forest.

Melissa, fortunately, fell away from where the plane had crashed, while her friends and the pilot got stuck on the plane.

Not realizing in what land they were in, Melissa tried to rise up, but she was unable to move, her thigh had a deep bleeding wound.

She lay down, so that she can crawl towards the plane, to check on the others.

Bronze heard the sound of the plane crash, and hurried towards the scene, hoping to find anything useful.

As he walked closer to the plane, he saw Melissa laying down on the ground, trying to crowl with her stomach towards the plane in deep pain.

Bronze, knowing that the zombies were coming in search of humans from the crashed plane, he quietly walked towards Melisa without making any sound.

He unnoticed quickly lay on top of Melissa's back and covered her mouth his right hand, to prevent her from screaming or moving, and whispered in her right ear, "Hey, do not make any sound or movements, they are here."

As Melissa tried to move, she heard howling and groanings.

Seeing moving humans, technically dead, without a heart beat or other vital signs of living being , but in a decaying state , with discolored skin and eyes, moving towards the plane,

It filled Melisa with great terror.

Like hunters on the hunt, the zombies killed the pilot and Melisa's friend and got the bodies, and went away.

Melisa wept bitterly at the loss of her friends and the pilot.

Thirty minutes after the zombies went away, the place became quiet like still waters flowing down the stream.

Bronze realized that Melisa had a bleeding wound on her thigh, and part of her dress was covered with blood, he got off her back, made her body face upwards, undressed her,leaving her with her under wear, threw the dress away

Before Melisa could realise what Bronze was trying to do,

Bronze took off his shirt, Melisa gave him a hard slap, insinuating that Bronze wanted to take advantage of her.

Looking at her with a smile on his face, Bronze drew closer to her, took her leg and placed it on his thigh, and dressed the wound gently with his shirt.

Melissa regretting her actions, she apologized to Bronze, but Bronze just smiled.

Bronze stood up and carried her in his hands to his hiding out.

While walking, Melisa didn't stop starring at Bronze.

Despite being in the midst of great danger, Melisa felt safety and protected in the arms of Bronze.

One evening after four days had passed staying in the cave, Melisa grew fond of Bronze, while Bronze who happened to fell in love with her the first day he saw her, restraint himself from getting closer to her, he feared peradventure Melisa would feel he was trying to take advantage of the situation.

During the evening, as they talked, Melisa drew closer to him, and being unable to resist her, Bronze gave in.

Early in the morning

Melisa and Bronze were two loving birds in each other's hands.

Now, more than ever before, Bronze desired to leave the hill land forest with Melisa and begin a family with her.

Bronze, having lived many months in the hill land forest, he discovered the weaknesses of the zombies, that is fire.

He told Melisa the strategies on how they could escape, but it was only going to be successful only if they managed to set the territory of the zombies on fire with an explosive boom, and have access to the waterfalls which leads to Cariton the next city, the city Melisa was heading to before the plane crash.

Melissa suggested to go back to where the plane had crashed to look for anything that can be useful.

On their way to the place where the plane had crashed, they met the zombies, they both fought with the zombies, Melisa managed to escape from the zombies and ran to the the place the crashed plane was.

She found a lighter inside the plane, not knowing what to do with it, she remembered what Bronze told her.

Upon seeing how tense the fight was with Bronze and the zombies, Melisa set the plane ablaze, and there was great fire in the forest which distracted the zombies, Melisa ran to Bronze.

Bronze held Melisa's hand, and ran with her towards the territory of the zombies, the more the forest caught fire, the more confused the zombies became.

Fire became unbearable for the zombies that they started dying, while Bronze and Melisa managed to pass through the waterfalls and finally escape.

As they jumped off the falls, the whole territory of the zombies was on fire, no zombie survived the fire.

Bronze and Melisa were carried by water and got rescued by the fishermen of Cariton, later on they went back to their city and families, and two months later got married.









September 25, 2020 14:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Karen McDermott
11:34 Oct 01, 2020

Here from the critique circle. I found the very short paragraphs made it read more like a newspaper article, which would have been a fun way to tackle the prompt actually. Also you spelled Melissa as 'Melisa' a few times. Best check for typos next time, but a strong start on your Reedsy journey overall, well done.

Reply

Sarah Chimombo
06:19 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you very much, I will work on it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.