0 comments

Crime Creative Nonfiction Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

I was born twice:  a baby boy in 1869, whom the ward nurses named me Ambrose, and then again in 3015 as a young female teenager whom I was known as Red. Being adopted by an institution called The Trident, it had tall titanium walls, large doors reaching the ceiling, and a cold feeling with echoes of chatter and screams.

I sat in a chair for hours with an EEG cap strapped tightly to my head. I could feel the warmth of the electrodes on my skin. There were screens in front of me; my brain was being tested while I watched flashing pictures, numbers, people, nature, and monkeys. My nose continued to bleed; the blood dripped down over my lip, restrained, only to dry on my clothes unattended. I was deprived of water and food until my brain could solve problems, equations, and mazes. The elevated projection of my mind in front of me was blue as if it were a blueprint for the master plan. Answering questions at a pace no human could match and working out outcomes and logical pathways, I tackled the most challenging scenarios.

I hear two men muttering behind a double glass wall. I hear stumbling and bangs as if wrestling was happening. I hear "Red, remember the answer" over and over again. Remember the answer to the question, he insisted through the microphone. The other man yelled, "She is useless! She is a loose wire with an IQ of 480. I should have completed this project!" This man was my adoptive father, but I do not address him by his name or as my father; I refer to him as Mr. Kauagari, which means Darkness.

After enduring years of tests, sleep deprivation, hunger, injections, and unstable sleeping conditions, "You are ready," Mr. Kuragari said.

"Ready for what?" I replied.

As I stood at the large closed doors, my mind was racing. I could smell the morning mist, analyzing everything from the rodents to the footprints in distant hallways,  the powerful smells of my surroundings, and even the dead horse carcass that lay acres away. My calculations were precise, and my senses heightened as I planned my escape. I stood motionless.

Mr. Kuragari leaned over and assured me that I did not need to escape. He then handed me an invitation card, a suitcase, a black dress, and a mask and instructed me to be on my way.

I stood there and waited. My body was not where it was supposed to be. I was looking back at myself. My thoughts were calculating how long it would take me to slice Kuragari's neck open as he leaned over with the card. Strangle the guard with my black dress, bite the driver's earpiece, and take the car. Though there was no need, I was given everything I needed to walk away. I grinned and kept my head down.

We arrived at the hotel, and my hallucinations became my weakness, seeing myself jump from the top floor and be back in the same place again. I had committed suicide multiple times, knowing quite well that no matter what I did to myself, I would always end up in the same place. Why? How could this be? What was wrong with me? What did they do to me? As I savagely cut my hair with blunt scissors, I couldn't help but think, what is the answer to the question?

The Grand Pavillion-5.30pm-Black Tie-Mask-Anonymous

Arriving at the Grand Pavilion, the masks and suits all looked identical. The elegant ladies had shining skin. The fragrances of their perfumes surrounded me. It felt like playing a game of chess. Patience, order, and anilization. Tachypsychai as I walked along the black carpet leading to vintage elm doors detailed with a dragon on one side and a phoenix on the other. As I approached 13 guards, four undercover black cars, a large pond estimated at eight koi, five female rooftop snipers, and all the servers had gun holsters. I was handed a glass of champagne and a napkin with food. I devoured it quickly as I hadn't eaten in days.

Pardon me, Red. I quickly turned and replaced my mask, knowing  I was leaving crumbs all over my black dress like a hungry wolf. "Yes?" I muttered in surprise.

Madam, please follow me. 

I entered a room with 21 people. I scanned every room door, window, and object, calculating everything. My mind was racing, making me sweat. The roof is adorned with peony flowers, and I fell to my knees. I dabbed my ears with a napkin; it felt like blood was trickling from both of them. I felt feeble, and my eyes stung. What is happening? I dropped to the floor, feeling paralyzed. I was dragged into a room by both of my wrists with my helpless legs to follow, placed on a large mink rug that smelt like death. I quickly did the math of the bodyguards, height, weight, and amory. 

Sir, Red seems to be out. Should I give her pills? No! Leave her. 

Excuse me, Sir. There is someone here to see you. Please show them in said Mr. Kuragari as he watched over me. 

"Ah, Mr. Kuragari, it's nice to see you again. I see your project has been progressing well. Mr. White, you must understand this is no longer a game. Please excuse us, ladies and gentlemen, while Mr. White and I have a private conversation." The guests quickly scattered as they left. I could tell this was not going to be pleasant.

White leaned over and quietly said to Kuragari, "You cannot do this. I have been here all along, and you have failed like every other time. You are not like us. You're riddled with mistakes. I will ensure you will not have the opportunity to destroy Trident. I will be the one to do it."

Mr. White, your optimism impresses me, but you are not the one to do it. You have to understand that I will stop at nothing to eliminate the problem. Kuragari looked down at me while this conversation was happening. I squinted, seeing his white tie and roughed-up face. I pretended to be asleep. Would they harm me?

"Red... Red, are you okay?" My eyes fluttered, and my pupils retracted continuously. "Monkeys!" I yelled, clasping my face in my hands. I pulled myself up on one arm, resting on my hip. "What happened?"

"You passed out," said White.

"Oh? Where is Mr. Kuragari?"

"Who? Mr. Kuragari?"

"Kuragari!"

I'm sorry, Red. There is no one called Kuragari. Look, you have been through an ordeal through no fault of your own. Here is not the right place for questions. I will take you to your hotel, where you can freshen up and ask questions. We have work to do.

After hearing what he wanted to do to me, I wondered how White could be so accommodating. Scattered monkeys passed me by, and there were wailing screams from them as they passed me, casting shadows. I stood up and pushed my way past White, ran out of the top-floor window, and threw myself off the ledge, Falling slowly, pictures, repeating words, people, the blueprint of my mind and body. Floating. I felt limp. I hit the pavement, blood everywhere, and no one took notice; they just kept walking by. I opened my eyes and found myself in the apartment room, sitting with my legs crossed and hands on my knees.

Red, you can't run. The hallucinations will never go away. Respect them and listen to them. Here, take these. Red, you are wired to fight. Come on, go and freshen up. We have work to do.

I slowly got up and watched his every move, looking for a true escape from this room, and I knew if I jumped, I would end up in the same place. I went to the bathroom and turned on the light. The flickering was painful. I leaned over with my sore ribs and switched the light off. I dropped the small box that White had handed to me. The box was red with a white Trident fork. I slapped my hands over my ears; the buzzing sound. I could hear voices. The answer? What does the question mean? My hands were shaking as I popped a pill from the box. With my hand on the sink, I kneeled on the floor, wanting it all to stop.

Knock knock. "I'll be out shortly," I said. I changed into a black singlet and jeans, tightened my leather belt, washed my face, and stared into the mirror. White said, "Okay, let's go from the other side of the bathroom door." White, I don't trust you! Where are we going and why? White replied, "You have to trust me, Red; I am all you have now."

"Hey, you're an asshole, White! Okay, okay, I'll catch up. He looked at me, and I could feel the heat from his body as if he was going through my mind. I locked into his eyes and knew he was analyzing me. Okay, Red, I'll meet you downstairs". 

I put on my coat and leg holster, took a swig of whiskey, and slammed the door behind me. I was waiting for downstairs. White finally arrived downstairs, sweating, and asked, "How did you get down here so fast?" I replied, "I used the elevator." He rolled his eyes and said, "Come on." Instantly, a black car turned up.

I gazed out the window, absentmindedly calculating our location and how long we'd been driving. The landscape was rough, and I could hear the loud noise of the tires and the rocks getting stuck in the grooves. White started talking about The Trident and how important it was. I wasn't listening; my mind was elsewhere, wondering why I was at the party and why I was here. Where was I going? I heard a noise coming from afar. This was my chance! The car brakes hit hard to the floor as I started to choke the driver from behind. White yelled, "Red! Red! What are you doing? Stop! Stop! You are going to kill him!" he cowardly screamed from the front passenger seat.

The car was sliding all over the road. "You want to kill me I yelled"! Well, news flash! You can't; I will kill you first! I wrapped the leather belt around my hands again and pulled harder. The driver started to gag and let go of the steering wheel to loosen the reigns of my black leather belt. 

White goes to pull the hand brake, and I let go of the chocker to stop him; we wrestled hands and arms over the hand brake, and the driver put his hands back onto the wheel to control the car. I kicked White in the side of the neck, leaving a bloody hole from my boots. The window shattered, glass flying, and blood smeared over the interior. White was out. All I could see was dust, letters that became clearer with every blink. YK. YK, what does it mean? I leaned over and sunk my teeth into the driver's neck, ripping his skin off. White woke up and yelled, "RED, JUMP!" He screamed, "JUMP!" I struggled to open the door as we were surrounded by flashing lights. The monkeys appeared, jumping all over the car and trying to get in. One of them looked at the top of the car. The sunroof! 

I climbed out of the swerving car and dove off the roof. My entire body was dragged along gravel and stones as I rolled, hitting my head and ripping the skin under my clothing. My head bounced along the gravel. My arm, the muscle, was exposed. I crawled to the nearest tree to ensure I was out of sight. I sat there in pain, watching the car roll until it came to a halt. 

Everything went silent. It seemed that the music had just been turned off at a rave party. Pure silence. Dust, debris, headlights flashing, wheels turning. I crouched there in disbelief. Someone was coming; the footsteps I could hear on the hard gravel. I crept back more into the Darkness, holding my wounds. I slowly took off my shirt that was sticking to my open wounds; I ripped it and wrapped it around a deep gash on my forearm. I clenched my teeth as I wrapped it tighter, looking up at the blackened sky—a figure I could see going towards the car. I wondered who this could be and how they knew where we were; the road was secluded behind puddles of water and croaking toads. It was in the middle of nowhere. A torch flashed into the car, and I could see a man in a black suit. He leaned into the car and screamed Here is she! Red! Where is she? I could hear the saliva as he yelled, coming from his mouth with pure anger. My ears focused on him. "You will die here, I will finish what I started"!

Holding my bloody arm, I watched and listened. A black Mercedes license plate YKKG turned up, and the man jumped in. The man yelled I hope you die in there, you son of a bitch. 

I made my way over to the car; the driver had a branch rammed into his chest cavity. White muttered, Red, help me. Reluctantly, after hearing his conversation with Kuragari, I limped to the side door and stood there in a black lace bra, blood dripping down my arm, ripped and torn jeans with dirt and grass in my hair, mud-stained skin, holding my revolver. I looked down at him and said White, I could let you die, or you could enlighten me of your conversation with Mr. Kuragari. 

White hung from his seatbelt, gasping for air. His arm was showing bone. Red, he said, I, I, I ... Yes, White, I know you were talking me out to kill me, weren't you? That's what the conversation was about. It was a game, a competition at the Black Tie party! Wasnt it? You were meeting up with Mr Kuragari, that was him, to see who could kill me first! Weren't you! as I screamed in his blood-covered face, my gun pointing between his eyes. He looked at me. I yelled Werent, you! WHITE!!!

No. No Red, that was not Mr Kuragari, that was Yusuf, Yusuf Karim. Mr. Kuragari is where he hides underground, where it is dark. Kuragari, the Darkness, the unseen. What do you mean, White, as I fell to my knees holding my ribs? What do you mean? Who is Yusuf? White was dying, and I was anxious to get answers. White slowly answered Yusuf wants to kill you. I am here to protect you. I am Mr. White, the man who has been training you all these years. Let me down, Red. Please. 

I held my gun to White's temple, pushed the seatbelt button, and helped him out of the car. He said against the tree. I started to wrap his wounds as I needed to know. Don't make any stupid moves, White, or I will put a fucking bullet in your skull. Got that! Okay, Red, I will explain everything. 

You are the Trident's future; you were born a boy, and a boy was not allowed to run the Trident; it must be a girl—a strong girl with the mind of a thousand monkeys. The monkeys, White, I said, haunt me in their shadows. No RED! The monkeys find an optimal outcome rather than an impulsive one; they are here to help you. Are you fucking insane, White! They have been here to help you; you were trained to be with them as one.

The technology Yusef was going to use to control people. Yusef had been taking all of the information from the Tritent as my partner to help you train to be the ultimate assassin; he wanted to see how far he could push your mind. He sabotaged the entire project to use you as a weapon. He tricked you into believing he was your father. You are the red Queen. Red, you are the only one who can stop him. His plan is failing, and with you still alive, he won't be able to take the remaining information within you. I was not the one to put you through all of the trauma; he was. White coughs up blood. I pulled his head up to look at me. White, So you are my father? Yes, Red. Is Yusef the one behind the microphone? Yes, he replied Yusef. 

Leave me here, Red, it's okay. Just answer the question. 

As white lay there choking on his blood, I still wanted answers. I went over and over in my head the conversation between them, my thoughts, the math, and the people. I stopped in silence; my body, heart, and blood stopped. I sat there staring while my brain was in overdrive, putting everything into place. I could see the entire playout between White and Yusef, I could see beyond the walls of Trident, and I was taken back to the exact time and place. 

I looked at White, watching him die. The answer is, 

I am to kill Yusef.

White smiled, his bloody teeth showing, reached for my hand, and said

"Yes".

May 18, 2024 00:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.