1 comment

Fiction Friendship

Nina rolled her eyes as Lakshmi asked her yet again to stop so that she could take photos. The vistas of the mountains and trees were indeed spectacular, but Lakshmi seemed oblivious to the run-down trailers, the roadside trash, the pot-holed road and the shot-up traffic signs. The road wound upwards and Nina held her breath as her old car shuddered and wheezed. It was late afternoon, and the sky had a steely grey look that spoke of impending snow. She did not want to get stranded by the roadside here. Cell phone reception was spotty, traffic was sparse and there was no telling how long it would be before any assistance arrived. She sighed in relief as the road leveled out and they approached the outskirts of town. Even Lakshmi noticed that there were a lot of boarded-up businesses here, interspersed with scruffy houses with litter-strewn yards.

“What do people do around here?” she asked.

“Get out of town, if they have any sense,” said Nina. “There used to be textile mills here, but that’s all gone. They’ve converted the old mill building into condos and fancy shops, which is nice, but provides a fraction of the jobs that the mill did. There are some outdoor sports, hiking and so on, and some of the old houses have been turned into antique shops and bed-and-breakfasts.”

They turned into the historic downtown and Lakshmi exclaimed in delight.

“Wow, look at the gingerbread carving on those old Victorians. This is so quaint.”

The Christmas decorations along the street glowed in the falling dusk and a few snowflakes fell. The bells of the Baptist church began to chime the hour. Nina had to admit that it was picturesque.

“Norman Rockwell come to life,” Lakshmi said.

Nina laughed.

“Don’t get too carried away. You haven’t seen our place yet.”

She turned down a couple of side streets lined with modest wooden houses and pulled up in front of the last one in the row.

“It’s cute,” Lakshmi said. “I don’t know why you’re being so negative.

“These were built for the mill workers,” Nina said, handing Lizzie her bag and grabbing her own. “The owners were in those big houses we just passed.”

The boards of the front porch creaked ominously as they approached the front door.

“Don’t worry,” Nina said, noticing Lakshmi’s anxious expression. “No one’s fallen through … yet. Mom just doesn’t have the funds to keep up an old house like this. It’s too much for her, but she’s refused to move since Dad died. Too many memories here, she says.”

The front door opened, and a stocky grey-haired lady peered out, beaming when she saw them. She enveloped Nina in a bear hug and turned to greet Lakshmi.

“You must be Nina’s friend. Welcome. I’m Pansy. Come on in.”

A delicious smell assailed them as they went down the hallway to the kitchen.

“I thought you girls would be hungry,” Pansy said. “Nina, show Lakshmi to her room. Once you’ve had a chance to freshen up, we’ll eat.”

“Here you are,” Nina said, opening a door and turning on the light. “Not the Holiday Inn, but I hope you’ll be comfortable.”

Lakshmi gazed around the room at the large brass bed with its faded quilt, the cross-stitch pictures on the wood panel walls and the rag rug on the floor.

“It’s perfect. Thank you for inviting me. It’s a lot better than spending Christmas on my own in the dorm.”

She hugged Nina tightly. Startled, Nina hastily disengaged herself.

“Um, it’s all good. You’re welcome. Let’s go and eat. I’m starving.”

They sat down at the kitchen table and Pansy said grace.

“Thank you, Lord, for bringing a new friend our way, amen,” she concluded. “Tuck in, girls.”

The food had just been served when there was a knock at the back door. Pansy opened it. An elderly lady entered.

“Nina, I saw the car and thought that must be you. Brought a friend, have you?”

Her little blue eyes, sharp and bright in her wrinkled face, scanned Nina and took in Lakshmi’s olive skin and thick dark hair. Nina inhaled sharply.

“This is our friend Lakshmi,” Pansy said before Nina could respond. “They’re at the university together. Mabel, I was about to bring your Christmas cookies over. Here you are.”

She handed a covered plate to the old lady.

“Thank you kindly, Pansy. You’re a good Christian woman.”

“Is Chanelle coming home for Christmas?”

Mabel shook her head.

“Too busy, or so she says. Got a good job up there in New York. I reckon she’s got above her raisin’ and don’t want to bring nobody down here. At least you ain’t forgot your roots, Nina. Well, I’ll let y’all get your supper. Thanks for the cookies, Pansy.”

She hobbled out, waving as the door shut behind her. Lakshmi watched curiously as Nina drew a deep breath and Pansy shot her a warning look.

“Don’t start, Nina. It’s Christmas, after all.”

“She is the nosiest, most bigoted old crone,” Nina said, tearing her bread into pieces. “I wondered how long it would take her to show up. She doesn’t miss a thing.”

“She’s on her own now,” Pansy said. “Her son Mark died from a drug overdose a month ago. The obituary said heart problems, but everyone except Mabel knew that he was into pain pills. She was mortified. She’s too proud to accept any help.”

 “I had no idea,” said Nina. “Mark was in my year at school. He never used drugs then.”

“He got hurt in a car accident,” Pansy said. “Broke a few bones. They prescribed him those oxy pills and before you know it, he got hooked. His girlfriend took their baby and went back to her folks. Mabel hasn’t seen her grandbaby for months.”

“That’s terrible, Mom, but it doesn’t alter the fact that she’s always been nosy,” said Nina.

“Remember when you came home with your hair in pink spikes?” said Pansy, laughing. “That made her day. The story was all around town before the day was out.”

‘Or the time Oliver came to visit?”

“Oliver is black,” Nina said to Lakshmi. “I thought Mabel was going to have a stroke. Mind you, she came around quickly after he rescued her cat from the walnut tree in the back yard.”

“She’s not a bad old soul,” said Pansy. “Just lonely.”

“Mom, I hope I grow up to be as nice as you,” Nina said, beginning to stack plates. She dropped a kiss on her mother’s head.

“Away with you now,” said Pansy, swatting at her daughter affectionately. “Where are your folks, Lakshmi?”

“My mom died four years ago,” said Lakshmi. “Dad remarried so quickly that I suspect he’d been having an affair with my stepmom for a while. She’s not much older than me and we don’t get along. They’re going to Cancun for the holidays. They invited me but I don’t think they were sorry when I refused.”

“That’s too bad,” said Pansy. "Nina, why don’t you show Lakshmi around the town tomorrow and we’ll go to the Christmas Carol service in the evening after supper? I have a lot to do, and I don’t need you girls underfoot.”

“Sounds good,” said Nina, stretching and yawning. “Lord, I’m sleepy.”

After breakfast the next morning, Nina and Lakshmi walked towards the historic district. It was a crisp, cold day with a clear blue sky. Progress was slow as almost everyone who saw Nina stopped to chat and eye Lakshmi curiously.

“The good thing about living in a small town is that everyone knows you,” said Nina as they finally turned onto the main street. “The bad thing about living in a small town is that everyone knows you.”

“I wouldn’t know,” said Lakshmi. “Dad worked all over the world for some multi-national corporation, so I was shipped off to boarding school when I was seven and only saw my parents at the holidays.”

“Much as this place gets on my nerves, that doesn’t sound like fun,” said Nina.

“I didn’t know any different,” said Lakshmi, shrugging.

“Let’s go in here,” said Nina, stopping in front of one of the grand old Victorian houses. A carved wooden sign proclaimed it to be a bed and breakfast. “Their breakfast café is open to the public. We probably won’t get a seat because they’ll be packed. Their Christmas brunch is famous. I’d just like to say hello to someone.”

The large foyer was elegantly furnished with antiques and tastefully decorated with swathes of pine boughs and holly. Nina approached a tall man who was absorbed in paperwork at the lectern by the door.

“Ahem, my good man. Would you have a breakfast table for two, perchance?”

He looked up in surprise. His face lit up as he recognized Nina. He swirled her around in a bear-hug.

“Nina! A sight for sore eyes. What took you so long? We have the private parlor reserved for you.” He nodded at Lakshmi.

“Hi, I’m Lawrence.”

He led them into a small room off the main dining room which was full of customers.

“How did you know we were coming?” said Nina.

“Your mother had a word with me,” Lawrence said, smiling. “I never disobey mothers…even other people’s mothers.”

He pulled out chairs for them and sat himself.

“We've been crazy busy, which is wonderful, but it’s killing my feet. I’m going to take my break.”

A teenage waitress shyly approached and poured coffee. Lakshmi gazed at Lawrence, frowning.

 “You look familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?”

His handsome face creased in a smile.

“Perhaps.”

“He’s our own home-grown celebrity,” said Nina, grinning. “A few sit-coms, a Broadway show or two…”

“Gosh, I feel stupid. Of course,” said Lakshmi, blushing. “You must get starstruck people staring at you all the time. Nina, why didn't you say something?”

Nina clasped Lawrence’s hand and grinned at him affectionately.

“I’ve known him since kindergarten,” she said. “He’s just Lawrence to me. Lawrence, this is my classmate from uni, Lakshmi.”

“Welcome to our town,” said Lawrence. “It does have its good points, despite what Nina’s probably been telling you.”

“She is a little critical,” said Lakshmi. “I like it so far, though.”

Nina fixed Lawrence with a steely glare.

“I do have a bone to pick with you,” she said. “Bad enough you dumped me. Now I hear you got married without telling me?”

Horrified, Lakshmi stood up.

“Hey, if you guys have stuff to talk about…”

She sat down warily as Nina and Lawrence burst out laughing.

“Sorry, inside joke,” said Lawrence. “I’ll introduce you to my husband shortly. He’s slaving in the kitchen now. I’ve been ‘different’ ever since I can remember, though I couldn’t say why for the longest time. Nina rescued me from bullies in first grade and has been my buddy ever since. From punching people in the nose to being my date for prom, she made my life bearable. Then she encouraged me to get into drama in high school when all the other guys were into football and wrestling.”

“So, how did you end up back here?” Lakshmi said.

“I met Todd, my husband. He’s a chef and he’s always wanted to have a bed and breakfast. My mother was getting poorly about the same time, so we decided to look for a property here near her.”

“How has it been, coming back?” said Nina.

“A little bit of celebrity helps,” Lawrence said dryly. “Especially when some of my showbiz friends come by. But overall, it’s gone surprisingly well. Good thing, because there’s no way Mom would have gone anywhere else.”

He stood up, beaming, as Nina’s mother appeared.

“Ms. Pansy, as beautiful as ever.”

“You need your eyes checked,” said Pansy, sitting down.

“Is this party private, or can anyone join?” said a jovial, curly-headed man in a white chef’s coat.

“Everyone, this is Todd, my husband,” said Lawrence.

Todd waved.

“I hate to drag him away, but we’re getting swamped.”

“No problem,” said Nina. “We’re here for a few days. We’ll catch up with you guys later. Todd, let me know if he gives you any trouble. I’ll sort him out.”

“Oh, by the way, I invited my neighbor Mabel,” said Pansy. “If you see a little old lady looking lost, send her this way.”

As if on cue, Mabel poked her head into the room. She was wearing a black coat with a mangy fur collar and a velvet hat which seemed in imminent danger of sliding off her head. Lawrence escorted her to the table and pulled her chair out.

“You’re looking very smart, Ms. Mabel. I would like to give you our condolences for Mark. I remember him well from school.”

“That’s mighty kind,” said Mabel, gazing at him, awestruck.

She looked at the dishes the waitress had begun to place on the table. She leaned over towards Pansy and whispered.

“Thank you for inviting me. I wouldn’t have dared to come in here on my own. Too fancy for the likes of me. He’s a very nice young man, that Lawrence, even if he is … well, married to a man and all. Reckon I can move with the times when I must,” said Mabel.

“That’s a good thing, because Lawrence and Todd have invited us all over to their house for Christmas dinner tomorrow. I took the liberty of saying you might make some of your famous chocolate chip cookies, Mabel,” said Pansy. “Nina, I was hoping you and Lakshmi would help me in the kitchen. I’ve promised to bring a few dishes.”

“Uh, oh, I forgot to warn you were liable to be dragooned,” Nina said to Lakshmi. “Mom’s famous for it. And you could have been lying on a beach in Cancun instead.”

Lakshmi laughed.

“I have no kitchen skills, but I’m willing to learn.”

“Good. You can start with potato peeling and Nina can do stuffing. Now enjoy your brunch, everyone.”

“You know, it’s not so bad being here for Christmas after all, “ said Nina.








December 22, 2023 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
08:05 Dec 23, 2023

Perfect homecoming.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.