0 comments

Holiday

It was going to be a difficult Christmas, what with mum no longer with us and my recent separation from my husband. My children were angry and wouldn't talk to me and my ex husband was making life hell. What I really needed was a distraction or something to help keep my mind off my problems. I really needed to have a better Christmas than last year. 


Last Christmas was a disaster. I didn’t see my children and my ex husband was alienating them from me. They refused to talk to me or even see me. You see I had left the family home 8 months prior, and the children were very angry. Their dad and I were spending countless hours in court and trying to complete our separation. As part of all this, the children were heartbroken and dad was being extremely narcissistic. Every day was a nightmare for me. Being followed, made fun of, taunted and basically doing everything to make me crumble. I was constantly at the police, making statements and trying to get some help, so I could live my life.


Ex husband was spreading so many rumours, by telling people how horrible I was and making up lies. I had lost my children, family home, money, personal belongings and most of my friends. I had to start again and rely on family and friends to help support me. I had lost my mum 2 years prior, and I really missed her. I needed her support and comfort and most of all, love. I was really struggling to get through the year, as everything was a battle. I was tired from all the emails, being chased for money and the constant battle of trying to make ends meet. But I couldn’t give up. My mum was a real fighter, and I was going to be one too.


I had changed my social media accounts and changed settings and my name, so I couldn’t be found by my ex and his family, but one day I decided to stop running and being scared. I changed my facebook account back to my real name. Why should I hide from the world? I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I needed to live again and talk to people, socialise and have fun.


I was awake at the crack of dawn, as usual, as I couldn’t sleep. Sifting through all my emails and looking through my social media, I saw a message from someone I didn’t know. At first I was hesitant to open it, as my ex husband was always trying to haunt me and get his mates to give me a hard time, but the subject matter grabbed my attention. “Kathy, I am your cousin from Germany”. Well I have lots of family overseas, but this name didn’t ring a bell. Do I take the chance I thought? If it was a hoax and another mean way at upsetting me, well I could just delete it and forget about it.


I was so nervous. I decided to take a chance, and open the message. It was a young man by the name of Sebastian, who claimed to be my mum’s second cousin. He wrote about looking for past relatives and wanting to connect with them, and he was in Sydney, on holidays. Well I thought, is this real? Did I trust this? Was this another hoax from my ex husband? Well I decided it was time to take back my life and start living again. I took the plunge. I messaged Sebastian.


Within a few hours I had discovered he was genuine and he actually was my mum’s cousin. We were sharing stories about my mum’s family and all the exciting places Sebastian had travelled to. was pretty excited. This was a way I could reconnect with my mum’ s family and I really needed some good people around me again. We decided to meet up in the next few days.


To say I was nervous is quite an understatement. Would this be a mistake? Was my ex husband playing a trick on me? Was I going to be safe? I took the plunge and met with Sebastian. Immediately when I saw him, he looked like  my mum. He had the same small protruding eyes, thin lips and a warmth about him. We immediately started talking, and discovered Sebastian had been looking for his family for a few years now. He had also been through a divorce and he offered some valuable advice. Never let someone control you. Take back your life as you are entitled to be happy. Even though so many people had offered this advice, this time it felt different. It was a message from my mum. Sebastain had been sent to me, to provide the support I was looking for from mum. and After  four coffees and lots of crying, I invited Sebastian to our family Christmas lunch. It was going to be a surprise and I didnt let my family know.


Christmas day arrived and I surprised my family with Sebastian. There was lots of hugging and tears and we spent the entire day talking about family and getting to know my mums’ other side of her family. My sister was extremely emotional, as we missed mum so much. But an angel had brought Sebastian to us, so we could feel close to mum again. After a lovely day together we all decided to stay in touch, as Sebastian was flying back home in the morning.


What a breath of fresh air! Just when I was so sad and felt nothing could really get me out of the sad place I was in, along came Sebastian. Making the connection and knowing that we were family, made me feel happy and alive again. I know it is only one person but I had family again. I felt included and he was kind and understanding. I had made a new friend who could help me find my love for life again, inspiring me with all his travel stories and motivate me to enjoy life and start again. Thank you dear angels for bringing Sebastian into our lives, and thank you mum for looking out for me.


December 20, 2019 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.