5 comments

General

Going to the corner store became a daily ritual with friends over the summer. It all started when one of our friends got us all energy drinks and coffee at this store, that at the time just opened. Ever since, we went to this place so many times that if we didn't show up one day, Old Man Peter, the cashier, would ask where we were in his southern drawl and give us our usual demand for scratch tickets and candy.

We would sit at the wooden bench outside drinking iced tea, soda, or iced coffee while scratching our tickets and laughing. We would joke around, play rough, relive memories of the past, and even hold debates on why cheese is expensive. It was great during this time and we didn't have a worry at all. It was as if life was in our hands and we were able to control it.

As soon as these moments started, it ended abruptly. It was like any other day and we decided to meet up at one of my friend's houses to have a movie night. We all were there, all accounted for and spending time together like a closely-knit family. We were watching movies, playing games, listening to music, laughing, and just having a great time. It was almost 10 at night when we ran out of snacks and decided to head out to the corner store. I volunteered to head out alone and go on this food run. They trusted me and as I left into the warm summer night, my friends were yelling out the window saying what they wanted from the store. I laughed and kept walking down the sidewalk.

It was a clear night sky with all the stars twinkling in the navy blue heavens. The warm breeze grazed my skin wrapping me in a blanket of cool air. The sound of crickets echoing into the silent and almost endless night. The sound of my sneakers hitting the sidewalk rang in my ears on the empty street and I could see the bright white light from the corner store shining. I sped up my pace looking forward to having a nice, cold, iced coffee in my mouth and some sweet, cheap, powdered donuts.

I opened the door to the store with the small bell ringing and seeing Peter perk up, clearly waking him up from sleep.

"Hey, Peter!"

"Hey, Iris! I didn't see you and your circus earlier today. Where were you guys?"

"Ha, you do care! We're having a movie night and they sent me here to get their snacks and drinks."

"Ah, I see. You guys are always together, is there a time where you aren't tackling each other to the ground or debating on why cheese is expensive?"

"I mean right now I am not with them."

"Yeah, that's true. Let me guess, grabbing the usual?"

"You know it!"

I then let out a giggle and went down the aisles grabbing what I wanted and what my friends wanted. Shortly after grabbing arms full of drinks and snacks I then went to Peter to pay.

"So what movies you watching? Need a bag?"

"Well less watching and more tackling and debating. Yes, I do need a bag, thank you."

"Not surprising. I remember being your age and having friends like that. They were my family number two and we always were together causing trouble and living life on the wild side. If only I could turn back time and relive those moments again..."

"What happened?"

"We grew up. Time doesn't stop for anyone or anything. You only have a certain time limit to live moments before the timer goes off and resets for a new moment. My buddy Rob died in a car accident. Troy became a father to a beautiful son. David moved halfway across the country. Then there is me, I relive those moments and watch as other kids your age make memories. Listen, kid, you enjoy the beauty of all the things in life. Whether it be bad or good, you look at the beauty and enjoy the moments because it won't happen again and that is what life is about. It is to live fully and enjoy the greatness of it all."

I nodded letting those words hit. I felt as if I was going to cry thinking about splitting up from my friend group and growing up. I didn't want that moment yet and I think Peter could tell because as soon as I thought about it all, he looked at me and said, "Now run on back to your friend's house. Go have fun and enjoy every small bit of life. I gotta close up the store and enjoy the five-course meal".

"Thanks, Pete. You have a good night and I'll see ya tomorrow!"

Heading back to the house, I thought over every moment that happened at the corner store and I never praised a night for its beauty before until those words hit me hard. I realized that life is to be enjoyed and not watched from the distance. I learned that not all moments last forever and the only thing you can do is to enjoy those moments and hold the smallest details as close to you as possible. Everything has a beauty greater than what can be measured and it is our job to view it in all angles and caress every curve, line, wrinkle, fold, the ups, and downs.

At the end of it all, we did grow up and Peter was right about what he said that night. Those words still ring in my ear and every day that I wake up, I am thankful to be around to see the beauty out of the ordinary for another day.


March 04, 2020 04:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

13:57 Mar 19, 2020

Hi Iris, I'm your other critique circle pal. I agree with a lot of Chloe's points. I would love to see a little more variation. A little more of the unique ways in which you see the world. The sentiment is lovely, but some things to sit with generally might be: How do I really speak? and How can I be more specific with my language? For example: "I nodded letting those words hit. I felt as if I was going to cry thinking about splitting up from my friend group and growing up." How do the words hit? Like a baseball bat? Like a water balloon? Wh...

Reply

Iris Castillo
15:12 Mar 24, 2020

Thank you!! I will include and improvise for next time! Stay healthy and take care of yourself! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chloe Lim
03:47 Mar 12, 2020

Hi Iris, I was assigned to you for this week's Critique Circle. I liked the message of enjoying your life now and making the most out of these previous moments, because life can always change in the future. I think your story may be improved on by trying to change up the structure of your sentences every now and then, as I noticed that a lot of your sentences started with "I did this. I did that." Because of this style of writing, it seemed like a diary or journal entry that did not always flow well. I also think adding more description woul...

Reply

Iris Castillo
15:11 Mar 24, 2020

Thanks so much! This is my first story and I'll take it all into consideration for the next ones I write! Stay healthy and take care of yourself! :)

Reply

Chloe Lim
22:20 Mar 27, 2020

Good job for your first story! I myself have only started recently too! Best of luck with your future stories :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.