Best friends that have different personalities.

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Write about an introvert and an extrovert who are best friends.... view prompt

1 comment

American

What will I do when my best friend and I have different thoughts, personality, opinion, likes, dislikes. On one side my best friend's name Jack is an introvert, and on the other side I am an extrovert. Hi, my name is Tom. I am 21 years old and today I am going to tell you a story about an introvert and an extrovert who are best friends. One day It was raining heavily when I saw Jack on the pathway along the street pleading for help. No one helped Jack because all of the people were busy running and getting into their own house for shelter, but I went out of my house, took some blankets and went to Jack. He was really cold. He was wearing a torn shirt and pants. His last word was "Please help me" when he suddenly fainted. I wrapped him in the blanket and took him carefully into the house. The house was warm so when Jack entered the house he gave a smile and closed his eyes. I thought that was a sign of relief. I laid him on the sofa, took an electric dryer to dry all his body and prepared hot coffee for him. I thought he would wake up after a few hours but he slept for a whole day and when he woke up he thanked me for saving him. I told him to live with me for a couple of days until he was totally fine. The next day he wore the same clothes that were dirty and torn. I gave him a pair of my clothes I  just bought from H&M though he said "No, I don't need it". I forced him to take those clothes and wear the new ones. I also showed him around the house, where everything is in case he needed something when I was not there.  I had an Idea and I  excitedly said "let's go and have lunch outside today" We went to McDonalds and bought 2 normal burgers and French fries. It tasted really good. Later I bought him an Ice-Cream and there was one thing that I noticed, the way he was eating  the burger and the Ice-CreamI knew that he had not eaten food for days. He again thanked him and then I said “Friends don't thank each other, they help each other”. Later that day I studied for my math test. He saw what I was doing and wanted to know more about it, so I involved him and told him everything about Math, Science, Social studies and English. He really likes to study. After a few days we did everything together. I told him how to use electric machines and how the bulb works. Every single day he became better and every day he learned something new. He asked so many questions that on his birthday I gave him a brand new Apple laptop. He was really happy. I also taught him how to play Minecraft. The most popular game and slowly we became best friends, but now the situation is not really good. After 1 year we both started to get fed up with each other because he wanted to eat alone, talk alone, wanted to be alone but I was completely opposite. One day I got 100 marks in my math test and I was so excited that I went to Jack and showed him. I was screaming like crazy because this was a really important test for my career. Suddenly a push came and I fell out of the bed laying on the ground. I was really hurt, I said "Help, Jack please help". No one replied. I stood up and saw Jack was really angry. He shouted and said "I am not going to live with you from now onwards, I hate you" I think he just wants to be alone. He left that day and I also didn't care. I am happy without him. I also don’t want any friend that doesn't talk to me. After a few days I again thought of Jack. I started missing him a little bit. Then I graduated and started looking for a good Job. I tried for months and then I finally got a job in California. I really liked that state. Days went, weeks went and now after a whole 3 years I was going to my office for the first time when I again saw the same Jack that I met 3 years back. He was wearing a good brand coat and pants with shades and an expensive watch. I walked towards him and said "Jack". He turned around and he was shocked. Tears ran from both of our eyes. He ran towards me and hugged me (That was unexpected). I hugged him too. I really missed him in the past 3 years and I think he did the same. He told me that he is sorry for leaving like that 3 years back and pushing me. I also apologized to him. From then on we became the same friends we were 3 years ago. He showed me his new house that was big and then I showed him my house that I just bought. It was of course not better then Jake's house but he liked it a lot. Then we decided to go back to where it all started. My old house in Virginia. I didn't sell that house so we could live there for a few days. We booked plane tickets that day and after a few days we finally reached Virginia. It was a tiring flight. I booked a cab and the cab took me to our old house. The memories came back, I remembered the first day we met. I unlocked the Door and saw the same house. We were really happy. That day we went to McDonald's to eat and that time he was eating slowly and with manners, I was really happy. He told me all the things he did after he left our house 3 year back. I smiled and we went back to our house. The moral of the story is that it doesn't matter if you are an introvert or an extrovert. Everyone has different personalities and that is fine. In our world there are different kinds of people and if they want to be alone and don't want to talk to anyone that is totally fine until unless they don't have any problem.

July 26, 2021 13:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Noor Layla
13:31 Aug 06, 2021

I wonder what there is to Jack's backstory. How did he end up homeless on the streets? Was he an introvert because it was just his personality or did something bad happen to him that made him lash out against his benefactor? What happened in the three years that the two of them weren't in touch?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.