The Boy who Cried Cake

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story where a chocolate cake plays a significant role.... view prompt

2 comments

General

There once was a boy named Jerald. Every day Jerald worked sitting in a bakery watching the chocolate cake. His job was to make sure nobody touched the chocolate cake.

This chocolate cake was very special. It had been made when the town was founded. (100 years ago) The villagers never ate it, for it was too beautiful to eat. Now it was considered a huge part of the town and its people.

One afternoon Jerald decided he would play a little prank on the townsfolk.

"CAKE! CAKE! CAKE! CAKE!!!!!!!!" he cried. "Somebody's eating the cake!"

All the townsfolk raced towards the bakery, but when arrived, there was nobody there but Jerald rolling on the floor giggling.

"Don't you go and cry 'CAKE' when nobody is here but you." the townspeople warned Jerald.

Jerald was astonished his prank worked so flawlessly.

The villagers grumbled as they all headed back to their homes, "I can't believe that silly boy would actually play a prank like that!" they said.

The very next morning, Jerald decided to try his prank once more...

"CAKE THEIF! CAKE! CAKE! CAKE!" he called out. "Someone is trying to steal the cake!"

The townsfolk came running and when they found a perfectly fine (not stolen) cake when they got there, they scolded Jerald.

"STOP doing this! Only Cry out 'CAKE' when the cake is actually in trouble.

A couple hours passed and Jerald heard a sound from the pantry.

"Who goes there?" asked Jerald.

A man in a kabuki mask peeked his head out of the pantry door.

Jerald screamed.

"HELP! A THIEF IS AFTER THE CAKE! CAKE! CAKE! HELP." he cried in a panic.

Nobody came.

The kabuki man approached the cake.

"CAKE! CAKE!" Jerald screamed. "COME QUICK!"

Still, no one came.

Then, the kabuki man grabbed a fistful of cake and shoved it under his mask. Jerald watched with wide eyes as the man munched away at the town's precious chocolate cake. It had never occurred to him before that the cake could be eaten.

He licked his lips...

And joined Mr. Kabuki in his feast.

--------------------------------------------------------------

At sunset when Jerald didn't return home from his shift, the townspeople got worried and went to go check on him.

To their horror, they found Jerald and a creepy old man, but the cake was nowhere to be found.

One of the townsfolk asked, "Where's the cake young man."

Jerald looked up at him and frowned.

"I don't know! Where has it gone?" he exclaimed while flipping his head around in mock terror.

The man who'd asked the question raised an eyebrow at Jerald in disbelief. The child was covered head to toe in sticky chocolate and had crumbs coating the outside of his mouth. It was obvious he was lying.

Just before the man spoke his thoughts the scary grandpa said,

"Hurry! We must be off." and he put on a terrifying kabuki mask.

He and Jerald ran towards the pantry. There was a clattering noise then all was silent.

The townfolk inched towards the pantry and creaked the door open. To their surprise, it was empty, save one small message, written in chocolate frosting.

"You should have come when I called," it said.

September 15, 2019 20:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cam Croz
13:34 Sep 26, 2019

Good job! It's a fun twist on the boy who cried wolf!

Reply

00:56 Aug 20, 2020

Yesss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.