13 comments

Fiction

Gerald gripped the side rail in the entranceway of the museum, turning his knuckles white and palms red. His tie was too tight, his shoes too big, and his socks rather sweaty. They were probably gaining more strength in stench the longer he shuffled his awkward feet near the guest desk. 

It was opening hour on a Tuesday, so the crowd was rather light so far. He watched as an older couple entered, followed by a group of smartly dressed women who were holding arms with each other and chatting as if it’s been years since they’ve gone out. 

“You’ve got this,” he told himself as he watched them make their way to purchase tickets. He closed his eyes. It was almost VanGogh time. 

Gerald had dreamed of working in the art museum since he visited with his fifth grade class on a field trip years ago. The other children rolled their eyes and huffed in disappointment when they found out where their End of the Year Big Trip was headed. Paulie and James had been sure they were going to the amusement park like the fifth grade had done the year before. They had visions of roller coasters and bumper cars, cotton candy and ice cream. But apparently, the school board decided it was not “educational”, and tabled it for a trip to the art museum instead.  Gerald hid his excitement when it was announced, and feigned disappointment for the sake of his social status. Then, he remembered he had no social status, and smiled. 

Gerald straightened the name badge clipped to his pocket, and straightened himself as the small crowd grew larger. He thought they resembled a bunch of grapes in a still life, their heads an array of sizes in the fruity pale green cluster. The cluster was inching closer, his tie was feeling tighter, and he willed himself to release his sweaty red palms from the slippery silver rail. 

Stepping forward, he smiled and folded his hands in front of him. He felt he looked very official, wearing his suit and even carrying a clipboard and Bic pen. He tapped the pen nervously against the top of it, and pretended to count the number of patrons awaiting their guided tour of the art museum. 

Once it appeared he had everyone’s attention, he cleared his throat and began to speak nervously above the dull hum of their conversations. 

“Hello, good morning, welcome!” he said with a squeak in his voice. 

The crowd smiled back at him, and became quiet, awaiting direction from their distinguished tour guide. 

“We will begin our tour now, if everyone can please follow me through the doors on your left. Stay close together, and please, no food or drink inside the museum for the safety of the precious works of art you are about to experience,” Gerald said, the spirit of the task ahead taking hold and steering his thoughts and words. 

Gerald led the group into the first viewing area, which contained a collection of works by Monet and Manet. He explained the use of color, brush stroke, and allowed the group to chat amongst each other their views on the varied canvases. He listened in and offered his opinions as well, surprised at the ease in which he was able to converse with complete strangers. This was all going better than he thought it would. They seemed to be enjoying themselves, and valued his insight on the works.    

“While Water Lilies is most likely his most famous work, others such as Poplars have been very well received too,” he told them. 

“Let’s move around the room and compare and contrast his use of color, and the overall mood it conveys,” he ventured further. The crowd complied, intrigued with interacting. 

Next, he led them to his favorite area of the museum: VanGogh. He debated saving it for last, but it just didn’t make sense to circle back to it. His eye caught Starry Night, and Sunflowers. He felt a tingle rush through him. He gazed at the paintings, and could barely contain his excitement. He turned to his loyal crowd, and began to tell the life story of VanGogh. A man suffering mental illness, gaining fame for his work only after his death. They listened in complete silence, in awe of his knowledge. They looked at the paintings Gerald described, as he guided them through each one. Finally, after learning about each painting, it was time to move on. 

Gerald finished the tour, each collection becoming easier and easier to explain. When he left his group in the main entrance, they clapped and shook his hand, thanking him for the experience. They had never known there was so much involved in the paintings and artists, and were walking away with a new appreciation. 

Gerald smiled. He had no idea how this would turn out. He’d never guided a tour group before, and felt he did an outstanding job. He set his clipboard and Bic pen down on the desk, and sighed a happy breath. He removed the name badge clipped to his pocket, setting that down on the desk as well. Pretty soon, Frank would be showing up for his afternoon shift and would wonder where his name badge and clipboard had gotten to. Gerald laughed to himself at how easy it was to show up and take a name badge and clipboard from the Employee Sign In table. He’d always wanted to lead a tour at the museum, and today he did it. 

As he walked out the door, he thought about serving coffee at Starbucks. He’d always wanted to try that as well. He made a plan to get up bright and early, head to the Starbucks on the corner, and commandeer a green apron. He always had a “new hire” story ready, just in case. But usually nobody asked too many questions. He didn’t even have to take a name badge the day he “worked” at Lowe’s. Once customers began asking him questions about the best light fixtures, one thing just led to another. Same at the grocery store. Pretty soon, his resume would be full of job experiences, letting his heart be his guide and seeing where the wind would take him.  

November 03, 2023 20:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Tom Skye
16:03 Nov 09, 2023

Funny stuff. It's a little mischievous, but in a strange way, you actually really respect the MC for doing it. Wholesome tale about determination. Very likeable MC. This was great. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danie Holland
11:06 Nov 08, 2023

Nina, my goodness. At first I was like, this is so wholesome. Good for him, facing his fears and then the ending came and I was like, oh no... wait. Now I am the one who is afraid. Great work this week! I see we both ended up in the realm of painting! On a side note, thanks for rubbing salt in the wound. The Van Gogh interactive experience just passed through the city where I live but I was unable to go. Unlike our Gerald, some of us just collect things for our bucket list instead of checking them off. Sigh

Reply

Nina H
11:11 Nov 08, 2023

Thank you for reading Gerald’s tale! Let’s just hope he sticks with things like tour guides and Starbucks! 😜 Oh I’ve seen that advertised!! Looks so amazing!!!! And keep it in your bucket til it passes by again?? Or close enough to get to? There’s still time to try again, and maybe one starry night you’ll get there 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
14:40 Nov 06, 2023

Fun idea! What if he gets addicted? Where does it end? Cop? Doctor? Pilot?

Reply

Nina H
15:47 Nov 06, 2023

Oh no, those could be disastrous!!!! Lol!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
19:16 Nov 05, 2023

Oh! Quite a twist :) This definitely felt like a "first shift on the new job" story, and it kind of was - but also, of course, kind of wasn't. The twist is actually rather exciting, because while the story is quite wholesome, the behaviour Gerald exhibits has a lot of room for taking things too far too. For example, perhaps one day he wants to realize his dream of performing open-heart surgery :) And the prospect of him getting caught - that's part of the rush too. Though, I suspect a lot of places aren't too keen, since it's free labour a...

Reply

Nina H
15:50 Nov 06, 2023

I think he’d definitely need to work up to open heart surgery if that’s on his employment bucket list! At least watch a few YouTube tutorials first! 😂 Thanks for reading and your thoughts, Michał!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:59 Nov 05, 2023

Ah-ha! The ending is so sneaky and clever. It leaves so much for the imagination and makes me so so curious about Gerald's backstory. How long has he been doing this? How did it start? I'd love an origin story because if he ever got found out, he'd be a legend! What a unique premise, Nina.

Reply

Nina H
15:18 Nov 05, 2023

Oooo a prequel!! That could be fun!!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:33 Nov 05, 2023

Coming back from your comment on my story... Yes the inspiration bubble has been 👎 for me as well! I didn't care for the mentor prompts and am still deciding how I feel about these new ones lol. But I found a sequel/prequel is always a good option for when there are no new ideas. So maybe we'll see Gerald again soon!

Reply

Nina H
15:38 Nov 05, 2023

True! Character resurrection when the word well runs dry!!! I’m going to let the new academia prompts sit this week and see what happens. Maybe I’ll be struck with inspiration while I sit at my desk at school this week?!? Though, middle school is hardly “ivy academia”! 😂

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:21 Nov 05, 2023

I'm doing the same thing. Just letting them mull over and hope something ignites. Hey a middle school story could be something fun to play around with! You have a unique perspective that a lot of us might not have.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:33 Nov 04, 2023

Clever. Thanks for liking my 'Hometown Boy '

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.