1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Inspirational

Perpetual Boredom

It was a lovely day in the town of Stroll-Field Lane. The sun was shining brightly, the birds were singing, and the flowers were in full bloom. The streets were lined with towering oak trees, their leaves rustling in the gentle breeze. The town square was bustling with activity, as locals and tourists alike took advantage of the perfect weather to enjoy the sights and sounds of the small town. But for Jim and Bill, it was just another boring day inside.

Jim and Bill were two best friends who had known each other since childhood. They had grown up together in the small town, where they had shared many adventures. They had explored every nook and cranny of the town, from the old train station to the abandoned factory on the outskirts. But today, they were both feeling particularly bored. They had tried everything they could think of to keep themselves occupied, but nothing seemed to be working.

"I'm so bored," Bill said, lying on the couch with a blank expression on his face. "I wish there was something to do."

"I know, me too," Jim replied, flipping through the channels on the TV. "But it seems like there's nothing on."

The two friends decided to try playing some video games to pass the time. They had a variety of games to choose from, but nothing seemed to be catching their interest. After a few minutes of playing, they both put down their controllers and sighed.

"This is pointless," Bill said. "I'm not even having fun anymore."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Jim replied. "I think we need something a little more challenging."

Next, they tried playing some bored games, like "I Spy" and "20 Questions". But even these simple games quickly lost their appeal. They found themselves looking at the clock, counting down the minutes until something more exciting would happen.

Feeling desperate for something to do, Jim suggested they play a game of chess. Bill was hesitant at first, but eventually agreed. They set up the board and started to play, but even this classic game failed to hold their interest. After a few moves, they both gave up and put the chess board away.

"I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty frustrated," Bill said, rubbing his temples.

"I know what you mean," Jim replied. "I feel like we've tried everything and nothing is working."

Feeling defeated, the two friends decided to try something a little more physical. They grabbed their bikes and headed out for a ride, but even this failed to hold their interest. They found themselves going through the motions, not really enjoying the ride at all. They returned back home, feeling more bored than ever before.

They decided to try something that would challenge their minds even more. They decided to play a game of Sudoku, but even this failed to hold their interest. They found themselves getting frustrated and giving up after a few minutes.

Feeling like they had tried everything, they decided to give up and just watch a movie. They put on a classic comedy, but even this failed to hold their interest. They found themselves checking their phones, counting the minutes until the movie would end. As the day slowly crept by, they found themselves becoming more and more restless. They tried reading a book, but even this failed to hold their interest. They found themselves flipping through the pages, not really taking in the words.

Feeling like they had tried everything, they decided to give up and just wait for the day to end. They sat on the couch, staring at the clock, counting down the minutes until it would be over. But just as they were about to give up hope, Jim turned to Bill with a light laugh. "What say, let's go for a walk?"

The two friends put on their shoes and stepped out into the beautiful summer day. As they walked, they talked and laughed, enjoying each other's company. They strolled through the streets of Stroll-Field Lane, taking in the sights and sounds of the small town. They passed by the old train station, now converted into a museum, and the local bookstore, where they had spent many hours browsing the shelves as children. They walked through the town square, taking in the sights of the local vendors and the sounds of the street performers.

As they walked, they realized that they had been so focused on trying to find something exciting to do, that they had forgotten to simply enjoy the moment. They had been so caught up in their own boredom, that they had missed the beauty of the day around them.

As they walked, they came across a small park. They sat down on a bench and watched as children played on the playground. They saw a group of friends playing frisbee and another group having a picnic. They even saw an old couple sitting on a bench, holding hands and smiling at each other. As they sat and watched the world go by, they felt their boredom slowly start to fade away. They realized that sometimes, the most exciting things in life are the simple things, like a walk on a beautiful day.

After a while, they decided to head back home. As they walked, they felt a sense of contentment and satisfaction that they hadn't felt earlier in the day. They had found something to do that they both enjoyed, and it had been right in front of them the whole time.

When they got back home, they both sat down on the couch with a sense of accomplishment. They had seized the day and made the most of it, even though they had initially thought there was nothing to do.

"That was great," Bill said with a smile. "I'm glad we went for that walk."

"Me too," Jim replied. "I think we should make a habit of it."

The two friends sat in silence for a moment, taking in the memories of the day. They knew that they would remember this day for a long time, and that it would always be a reminder to them to not let boredom get the best of them. They had learned that sometimes, the best way to seize the day is to just go for a walk.

January 16, 2023 01:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cymon Catalano
18:44 Jan 21, 2023

Please leave feedback on what is good, and ways I can improve.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.