A Look Into Human Behavior

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story about someone experiencing their first winter.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

Global warming had take a large toll on the world. I was born much after the beginning of the “Great Heat”, as they called it, and never experienced something called “Fall” or “Winter”. However, 20 years before I was born, the UN started an initiative to reverse what we had done. Now, as a 30-year-old woman, I was about to see it snow.

The older people who had been children when it last snowed told stories of magical, mystical white fluffs that came to the ground. Others said that the fluffs came in different shapes, like stars with many appendages. Some said that they were hard, like stones. Still, others told of soft fairies that melted on your body. If you caught these fairies, they would grant you a wish. The whole world was on their feet, waiting.

I had just broken up an engagement with the man I thought I loved. Everything seemed desolate, not to mention, I had just experienced fall and the cold felt, oh, so depressing. The only thing that kept me going was that, in a few days, it was predicted that it would snow. I decided that after it snowed, I might take my life.

On the day that it would snow, I quit my job. My plans to take my life were complete. However, instead of snow, a sound came from the sky. It will not snow today, thank you. Almost immediately, all hell broke loose. Panic arose from the crowd around me. Windows were broken and among the panic, I didn’t know what to do. I picked up a piece of glass and slit my throat.


The new recruit read over the final transcript in the test subject’s head. He was disturbed, but he had taken the job for a reason. He quickly wrote down, Subject #184 in Simulation #392 reacted in a way of utter despair and took her life. His superior looked down on what he had written and smiled.

“Just what I expected”

January 11, 2020 03:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.