2 comments

General



How are you doing, Lucy?



The cold breeze blew on our young, tender faces every evening. We happily ran across the lush green park as if we were limitless as the sky. “Skipping stones” was it? - Our vividly colorful second home, where we molded a good chunk of memories as we grew up together. Our cheerful gossip, our mini art adventures, our very own singing act where you would strum an imaginary guitar with the sound of the rustling leaves and the chirps of the birds as accompaniment. I can still hear the sound, can you?


School became hard. But that never stopped us from enjoying the time aside of it. A game or two of football with our friends. Sometimes, till every inch of our body was covered in sweat or till the sun gets ready to leave. The coffee place near the court where the affable barista would shout - “Two latte macchiato’s getting ready, girls”, the second he sees our tired faces making in through the door. You would go on to talk for hours about your dreams and the places you wanted to visit one day as we sipped hot coffee. And then drew on my face as I dozed off to your stories. Do you remember the stories you told me?


Yay, we are going to the amusement park tomorrow! - you exclaim with an electrified smile showing your purple braces as we jump around in ecstasy. We have been planning on going there since forever. Though I laughed and wondered why you were so excited to go when you would just be contented with the joy and thrill of watching others ride the big roller coasters. You loved the ferris wheel, I thought it was boring. But no surprise, you drag me to it, I sit tapping my feet restlessly wishing it would end soon so that we could go enjoy the fun ones. We slowly reach the crest, and my jaw drops as I marvel at the view below. Wow. No wonder you loved it. Do you remember the splendid aerial view that we caught a glimpse of?


Ouch! You playfully pull my hair tied firmly in a long ponytail each time you showed up at my house. Surprise sleep-overs, binge-watching comedies, midnight shenanigans and laughing till our lungs gave up. Each visit, the void in my book shelf grew bigger and bigger with the books that you would always forget to return. I wonder if you finished them all up. Pizza or fries? We would contemplate on silly decisions for hours. You said my mom was more of an aunt to you than your own and you loved her fish pie the best. Do you remember the heavenly feeling when it melts in your mouth?


Untroubled days were no more. Days were busy but Fridays reserved. We managed to grab a drink even though we looked like soulless corpses floating around. But that would be enough. That would refill us enough till we would meet the next week. One became two, week became month. But we still met. Like magnets being separated due to force of everyday hustle but instantly joint when we let them go. Magnets lose their power with time, was it the same that happened to us?


Lost in the jarring sounds of the city-life, I couldn’t sense the calm before the storm. Like a slow and sudden wave in the sea, you washed away where you landed on unknown shores. While I was swimming across the borders in hopes of finding you, the currents of life were too strong and hindered me. I thought your footprints on the sand would perhaps guide me but it too seemed to have been washed away, maybe I was late. Where did you go?


I’m late but I reach. I hear about you. I can’t see you, maybe one day I will, I don’t know. You were fading behind at snail’s pace barely noticeable, which I doubt either of us realized. My spectacles were constantly fogged with my own troubles, I probably should have wiped them often. Would it have helped I wonder. I couldn’t tell if I was dreaming. I wished I was. I finally see you, we talk for hours till our energies sapped off. This time wished this wasn’t a dream. Then I wake up. Like a drop of water waiting to fall, the truth takes it’s sweet time to sink in. Something went wrong somewhere. It happens and it happened. Is there something that can make it easier to fathom?


I resent you. I thought it was an act you put up like you sometimes did to pull my leg. Then I grasp that we aren’t 15 anymore. We are growing adults. The diverted path you wandered off to, I wonder what lured you in, what magical mist do I blame that muddled with your senses. The words of righteousness you spoke echo in my ears, was I gladly lost in them to hear the new things you had to say?


How do I let these thoughts pass when recurring fridays remind me of you, warm macchiato reminds me of you, our happy pictures remind me of you. Sometimes, it reminds me that you are enduring a hard time alone. But I believe one day I will see you on the bright side even if we’ll have to wait. Just long enough. You’ll return strong enough to move mountains. Right?


Right, time helps. Living our own lives in our utterly dissimilar worlds. I’ll be waiting at the crossroads. Maybe I could see you in the eye someday. Maybe the day you have sincerely paid off the price. Maybe we need more time. Maybe one day.


Still. I wish that you are doing good.  

Still. I wish that you wouldn’t lose yourself.                     

Still. I’m glad for the days we had.


….


“Miss Lucy Davis, what a surprise, you have got a letter today.”


Tears slowly crawl out of her eyes as she longingly receives the letter from the prison guard.

May 06, 2020 15:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

✰ Jessica ✰
21:10 May 13, 2020

Wow, Meghana, this story is so touching, moving, and emotional. I love your descriptiveness. This story really had me hooked and excited for the next sentence. I think this perfectly fits the prompt. Amazing job!!

Reply

Meghana J
04:15 May 14, 2020

Thank you! (:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.