4 comments

Fiction Drama Romance

It's so terribly cold. Snow is falling, and it’s almost dark. I wandered around the streets of Delaware, not knowing how to get home. Hi. I'm Crystal, I'm 16, and I live in New York City. Well, I do, but my parents forgot to bring me home from vacation in Delaware. I mean, I get it. 16 kids. But forget the oldest? Really? I walk up to an apartment building and sit at the entrance on my phone. "Hey." I hear a voice behind me. I turn around. "Woah there! Are you okay? You look a bit pale.." The person says. I rub my eyes for a better look and can't believe who’s in front of me. He's the cutest boy I've ever seen! "Um, y-y-yeah, I'm good..." I say, stuttering. "Hi. I'm Mylo. Uh, girl, isn't it a little too cold to be out here? And in a mini skirt? Typical Delaware weather, am I right? " He says. "Oh, um, well, I live in New York, but my parents forgot me. So I don’t know what the typical weather feels like.” I tell Mylo. "Oof. Well, you must be freezing. Come, let's go to the cafe! I was heading there now anyways, but I suppose I could treat you to some hot chocolate." Mylo tells me, pushing back is straight brown hair. I literally almost faint. He's sooo cute! Blue eyes, brown hair, polite, EKK! Sooo my type. I slip my phone into my pocket and run to catch up with him. He's already a block down, and gosh, he's fast! Once I finally catch up to him, I say "Mylo! How could you leave me 2 blocks down?" "O. Sorry, but I can't have my sister catch me with a girl... Don't ask!” He says. We walk into a cafe that looks really cozy. The sign said ‘Skyline Cafe’. “MYLO! What up?” A girl calls from the other side of the cafe. She’s wearing an oversized hoodie with jeans, and has her hair up in a high ponytail, triple piercings, with emo themed make up on. “Oh hey Brooke!” Mylo says. I roll my eyes as the girl, named Brooke I guess, looks at me in confusion. “What- Wait. DID YOU GET A GIRLFRIEND, MYLO? OMG I’M SO PROUD!” Brooke says. Ugh. I hate her already. She’s practically yelling now! Look, don’t blame me for hating someone at first sight, but I’m a softie/preppy girl, and this girl is a core-rock emo. And I CAN NOT! I CAN NOT DEAL WITH HER! Mylo’s face turns red. “NO! She-she’s not my girlfriend, I just met her like 15 minutes ago… her parents forgot to bring her home.” Mylo tells Brooke, walking towards her. I follow him. “Why don’t you bring her home then already, Mylo?” Brooke says. “Cause I live in New York…” I respond for him. Brooke looks embarrassed. Point for Crystal! Mylo rolls his eyes at Brooke and he signals me to follow him. We walk over to a open table and sit down. When the waiter comes by, I get a cup of hot chocolate and a cinnamon bun, and Mylo orders a coffee and a croissant. We sit there in awkward silence for a while. “Hey,” he says like he just realized something. “You never told me your name!” “Crystal. Crystal McKenna.” I say. I mean, I have the cutest name ever, so why am I so worried? I don’t know. There is something about him that makes me doubt myself. Doubt if I’m good enough for a guy like him. The waiter comes and brings the food. “O! A couple in love! Y’all are so cute together!” The waiter says. Her name tag says ‘EMILY’. “I just met her 15 minutes ago!” Mylo says. Me and Mylo both say at the same time, “We are NOT a couple!” Emily laughs. “Oh my gosh! You two even think the same!” She says. “So in love!” She and another waiter named Sandra speak at the same time. They sigh. Me and Mylo laugh so hard that I feel like I'm gonna explode. “Shoo now, ladies! We have a ton to talk about!” Mylo tells the waitresses and then both curtsy. “Gosh! Mylo, this place is amazing! And this hot chocolate slays!” I tell Mylo once they are gone. “I know right? Now tell me about yourself! How old are you?” Mylo says and I grin. He wants to know more about me! That could be a sign! Or maybe he just wants to know who this random City Gal is who he’s taking care of . Either way, I’m still gonna answer while sounding cute. Not too cute, through! “I’m 16. My birthday is next month, and I am the oldest child in a family of 18.” I tell Mylo, and see him gasp in shock. “18? You have 15 siblings? Gosh, and I’m complaining that I have 2 sisters!” Mylo tells me. He giggles at that last part. I take a bit out of my cinnamon bun and just stare at him for a bit. Did I mention that he looks so cute and when he laughs? “Hey, Crystal, do you have a place to stay tonight? Mylo asks me, breaking the silence. “Actually, no.” I say. I haven’t thought about that yet. “Well, you could stay in the guest room at my house if you’d like.” Mylo tells me. Since I have nowhere else to go, I reply, “Sure.” We finish eating Mylo pays. “Hey, how much does it cost? I’ll pay.” I tell Mylo while he checks the receipt. “Oh, thanks, but I can’t let you do that! You're here without your parents, and I’m pretty sure you need to save up.” “Nah, it’s fine, My oldest younger sister Kass has to pay me 200 bucks anyways. She owes me.” I say, giving him $10. “If you insist!” Mylo says, and places it on the check, waiting for Emily to come take it. We both start looking around, and I notice Brooke staring at us, eavesdropping. “Girl! Can you take your eyes off of-.” I look at Mylo and turn back to Brooke, “us?” “Nah. I’m totes posting this!” Brooke says, holding up her phone. That hit Mylo. Hard. “BROOKE! You need to respect other people’s privacy and opinions!” He says, angry, and then grabs my hand and we storm out of there together. I feel my heart beating. Fast. “I-I’m so sorry about her, Crystal! She’s basically been stalking me since the start of high school. And I’m 16, like you. I’m sorry.” Mylo tells me. He looks so upset at that girl but at the same time sincere and sorry for me. Aww! “It’s fine. Umm, no offense, but I’m a city gal, and it’s cold. Can we, like, go now, please?” I tell Mylo. I don’t seem to be pushy, but like, I’m cold! “Honestly, same!!” We walk back to Mylo’s house in complete silence. Again. Once we get to his house, he gives me a tour and lets me get comfortable in the guest room. I only have my duffel bag, so I don’t have anything to unpack. I’m actually kind of surprised. Where are Mylo’s parents? I only see him and his sister here. I want to ask him, but I’m too afraid to. And, actually, I haven’t even met his sister yet! I think it’s just me and Mylo here, to be honest. That's when I hear someone knock on my door. “Come in!” I say, hoping it’s Mylo. A little girl who looks like she's 13 walks in. “Hiya!” She says. She’s holding a stuffed animal, and looks confused. Just a bit. “I’m Millie, Mylo’s sister. Who are you? Mylo said we have guests.” The girl told me. “Hi, Millie! I’m Crystal, and don’t worry, I’ll only be staying here for a while. Hopefully.” I tell Millie. She has long brown curly hair, just like Mylo. Before I know it, me and Millie are chatting away about boys, gaming, school, etc. Soon Mylo walks into the room and hears us talking. He joins us, and Millie gives me a look. I know what that means. It’s girl talk. I actually end up having fun with Millie and Mylo, and soon we all head to our rooms to go to bed. “Good night!” I called out. This place is small, so they can both obviously hear me. “Gn!” Mylo says and Millie says “Sweet dreams you two!”


** 1 week passes, Crystal’s been having a great time with Millie and Mylo**


“Get up guys!” I hear Mylo call, and I hop out of bed. I grab my phone and head to the kitchen, where Millie is sitting at the kitchen table, smirking at Mylo. He’s giving her the don’t-you-DARE! look. “Hey Crystal.” She drags my name out while still smirking at Mylo. He turns red. “Umm, I’m confused, did I miss something?” I ask, while sitting down to some delicious looking pancakes and eggs. “Well, actually, you did. Mylo-” “MILLIE! SHUT UP!” Mylo screams out of nowhere, interrupting. Millie laughs so hard that she falls to the ground. “Serves you right!” Mylo says, trying to act serious, but then he looks at me, we both look back at Millie, and end up cracking up. Right then, I get a call. It’s from Mom. “CRYSTAL!” Mom shouts into the phone, as soon as I pick up. “We have been looking for you forever! Are you alright?” She says. “Mom, could have took you longer! But yeah, I’m fine, I met this, really nice-” I turn to look at Millie. She mouths, ‘add and cute!’ I shake my head. “Crystal?” Mom says. “Sorry. I said I met this really nice boy who let me stay with him and his little sister. Actually, I had to ask you something. Can I stay here for another 2 weeks or something?” I ask Mom. “Well, um, honey, you're 16 now, so I guess you could, but are you sure? Do you trust this guy?” Mom asks me. “Of course I do! Thanks Mom!” I say into the phone. “Crystal, I-” I don;t hear what she says because I hang up right away. Millie had told me the night before that she had done something to surprise me, and I just had to be at the park at 11:30 AM. It’s 11:15. I actually don’t get it, because it’s raining, but she said to get my cutest outfit on, and to NOT bring an umbrella. “Um, sorry guys, but I have someplace to be at 11:30.” I say, and Mylo looks confused. “Wait, Crystal, that's weird, because.-” I don’t get to hear what he says either, because Millie is pushing me upstairs already. She looks back and says “SHH!” to Mylo. “Crystal, go do what I told you. Good luck!” She says and she heads back downstairs. I change into my cutest outfit and sneak outside without Mylo seeing me. I go to the park and sit down. It’s 11:28. Surprisingly, I see Mylo walk up to me and he sits down on the bench next to me. He holds his umbrella over me, and we're so close I feel like I’m gonna faint. Man, what is it with me and the fainting? “Hi. I, I, I have something to tell you, Crystal.” Mylo tells me. “What is it?” I say. I feel my heart start to speed up. “Well, the truth is..” He sighs. “I need to get this off my chest. “I, I like you Crystal. I’ve liked you since we met. That one day, that one time when it was terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. And you, when I saw you, I felt like fainting. Fainting from love.” Mylo tells me. I’m speechless! Wait, no, I’ve found my words again. “I, I like you too, Mylo. Now, are you going to stop rambling and kiss me already?” I tell Mylo. He laughs and pulls me in for a kiss. But he doesn’t kiss me just yet. “Mylo, maybe it was meant for me to get left behind. To meet you.” I tell Mylo. “Maybe not.” Mylo says, looking into my eyes. “It was meant to be.” He says, and kisses me.

March 17, 2023 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Adrian D
22:34 Jun 06, 2023

hey like you stroy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Adrian D
23:43 Mar 19, 2023

great book for ur first time writing in this contest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamayha Jahan
16:54 Apr 23, 2024

MAKE A STORY OF GOJO AND GETO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamayha Jahan
16:53 Apr 23, 2024

THIS STORY SUCKSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.