We are in deep dark

Submitted into Contest #184 in response to: Set your story during a complete city or nation-wide blackout.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad Drama Speculative

As I am in Ukraine, it is usual to live in a dark. Not only because of night, but also due to understandable issues. It is war, babe, and if you’re not with a gun in a trench, but doing your job at home or in the office, you need to be ready that few times per day city will be in total dark.

You now, it is funny, when you ask people “what are they doing, when the light goes down?”. Someone desperately looking for a new place, because they are fully depending on the computer, someone just chilling, and someone looking for a reason to say, that “this is it – over”. Meanwhile, my mother is sure, that I, when the light is turning off in my flat, I am having sex. And as many times I see her, as many time she is telling me for sure, that I had a sex, when I had no light. I was wondering: “With whom?”. She doesn’t know, but her inner voice of wisdom is telling her this. So, I tried to imagine what it would be like, if this was true.

So, try to image with me.  You can hear the siren, which means that rockets are flying to your city. And to save energy in case, if they are going to hit some infarctional objects, government is turning off the light. And in this moment, while I am at home by myself, writing my stories and seeing, that lights off, I immediately hear knocking on the door. It is they! Woman, who wants to have a sex with me. I immediately giving up all my jobs and taking my pans off, and with this unexpected woman starting make love.

You should now, that light is often out for 3-4 hours and they turn it off 2-3 times per day. And it happens every day. And my mom is sure, that for all that time, my «leather organ» is inside someone. That what my mom thinks about me. She thinks about me much better, then I am.

But this thing got opposite side. Because I try to find some places, where I can work, when the light out. And it showed me one negative thing, which manifested itself in people.

We all know that in 21 century we all depends on computers and internet. You can barely imagine people, who just talking with each other and not watching in laptop, iPhone or another gadget. And when you don’t get this poison, you feel miserable. This applies to all people. They can fight for this and even lose best friends. Because of they need.

So, every time, when I’m looking for light, socket or a place to put my body to work, when there is no light in my place, I always face the same situation – all places are full and people using every possible socket to charge any gadgets they got. And if they need to sit there and fork for 3-4 hours, they will be doing that and if you would ask them to use socket for at least half an hour, you will hear the same from everyone: “We came here firs and we needed it the most”. Greed and nothing more. And you can go from one place to another and every time you will hear the same over and over again: “We need it more”.

 And you know what this situation shown me: you can see what not just people are, but all nation, when problems are happening. And I am not sure that those people think, that instead of working in public place, they could have sex in private.

And one more thing, that is very interesting in this situation. I remember my young ages, when every time we had no light, we were looking for a chance to go out, to walk, to play, to find some adventures. And we had a lot of troubles, which we all call – life. Someday Columb went to find India. He had nothing to succeed - no places to keep his sheep for a night, nowhere to hide from storm, no one, who could tell him if it is wrong or it is right. Just pure adventure. He was never stuck in one place for a long time to wait until light on, he was welcome to new people, who could share his life, his concerns, his trip with him. Do you know what helped him to make this tough decision? I will tell you. It that time there was luck of light and his wife was telling him every day to find a light, because she and her child could not live like that anymore. That is why Columb left all behind, including wife, child and sex, when light is off, and went to find India. This is the best thing he could come up with.

And when Columb found America, no one asked him what was the reason, that he went in the trip. Everyone knows that he discovered America. But the cause was – luck of light at home. Now you know it!

And if we look at modern time, we can say that World is very interesting place to discover. But we have lost the way, how to open our eyes and start discovering something new. If now for humanity, then for ourselves.

“Light will find the way through the dark and the only beam, which could hit your heart, will be the beam of your destiny. Noone can fight with dark without light in the heart. And if you have trouble and you have no place to go, look for light, but not the light of your gadgets, but the light of your soul”.

And at the end, I will tell you what will happen here, in Ukraine, when everything will be alright, at least with the light. Every human being, who were involved in situation which I described, won’t say anything and they won’t realize why some people hate them. Because from the prospective – they were right! When things go well – everyone must forget what have been done, when everything was bad. That’s how human mind works!  

February 08, 2023 07:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.