Einstein’s Cognition

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

3 comments

General

He cracked it. He had really cracked the mathematical code for human and maybe even animal thoughts. The only thing Martin could think in that moment was that everything, from here on out, would change forever. But before he got ahead of himself he decided he had better retest the formula several times before submitting it to his peers.

Stepping back from the chalkboard he took in the whole formula that spanned four fifths of the board in front of him. Looking at it in its entirety he could not believe something so simple could represent and be useful for something so complex. He guessed that is why it had taken so many years to find the answer to human cognition.

Everyone pursuing the problem was looking for something extremely complex, like formulas within formulas. But that was the human mind for you, always making a mountain out of a mole hill. They had not even considered the idea that it could be written very simplistically. But Martin figured his simple theory was more about paying attention and being observant to the signals in one’s own body than trying to create the signals on paper.

Martin stepped closer to the formula and began, for the millionth time, to dissect it into the several layers he had written. Taking it piece by piece, module by module he retested each section, over and over again. Finding no flaws he moved on to the next section.

Starting with the module that represented time in relation to the mind which included part of the famous formula by Einstein, E = mc². He then proceeded to the module determining the distance between neurons, which he double and triple checked. For this was the main part of the formula that required the most attention because without it the oscilloscope could not get the correct frequency reading to translate the data of each signal fired from each neuron. He had to be absolutely perfect in his calculations for this to work. The last module was to be attached to a computer network that would allow for AI machine learning. It would take the frequency of the neuron and match it to the current human thought or image and be able to continue to build on it until the whole mind of at least one person was mapped out in a cognitive way. But that was for the future.

After the first person, would be a second person and so on, until the AI computer could virtually simulate the thoughts, speech and mannerisms of a whole human being. Martin figured it would be another ten or so years to really perfect the first model, but at this moment, this was the beginning.

Eventually there would have to be chemical and molecular models, as well, to edit into the formula. They would have to be represented to account for all of the chemical and molecular interactions that occur in the real human body. They would help in streamlining some of the neuronal distances too. 

His mind was going wild with all the work that still had to be done. All the other possibilities that haven’t even been dreamt up yet. He needed to sit down. Becoming drunk on the endless possibilities of ‘his’ formula was making him queazy. “His” formula! 

He liked the sound of that. It hadn’t really hit him til now what that would really mean to him and his family. Martin would be famous. His place in the history books is as much as sealed. Wealth and fame were never something he looked for. 

He had only wanted to be a mathematician in the cognitive sciences. He had not ever dreamt of “actually” creating a novel formula that would be, pardon the pun, “mind blowing”. Was he ready for all that came with this formula, made up of a total of 52 lines of code? Could it be real?

He was going to test it himself. Mostly so that he could say he was the ‘first’ to test it on his own mind. 

He walked across the room, back to the chalkboard, and began to input the parameters into the formula that represented the average male brain. Years of endless data he had gathered while writing his formula became useful now.  

Finding a comfortable position in the chair next to the devices, he reached over and flipped the main switch. All of the machines came to life as one living entity. The one switch brought a glow to the EEG device, switched on the oscilloscope, booted up the desktop computer, and connected it all to the endless networks that would make this all work. On the monitor, the program was selected that would eventually present the results. But for now the screen remained a blank white sheet. He had designed the program years ago for data interpretation, in a real-time environment. It was a very basic design, but his calculations assured him it would still work, to prove his theories.

Twisting the dials on the oscilloscope to set the data, he grabbed the electrode cap tethered to the EEG machine and placed it on his head. It was made up of more than 50 electrodes placed strategically inside the cap to capture the slightest of frequencies and impulses generated by the brain.

Once on, the machines grew silent and the screens were blank. But Martin knew this was to be expected. The machines had to be initialized and calibrated first, which would take a few minutes, before they were ready to make their calculations.

Using the time to get more comfortable, Martin tried to meditate. He needed to release all his thoughts except one. During this time, Martin took the liberty to focus his attention on one thing, one word, one image. It would be easier for the machine and himself to replicate it later. It would also be easier to separate it out from the other brain noise in his head. 

He thought of the word and image for, ‘Me’, and what made him unique compared to everyone else. But the more he thought of himself, the less he knew and therefore it would not be the best word to use. So he picked another word. 

Chosen was the number “One”. This would be much more simple and easier for the computer to render. So “1” it was.

The beep sounded on the computer indicating that the calibrations were completed. It was time to face the theory head on.

Holding the trigger, designed to keep him from being distracted, in his hand he plunged the button and held it as he thought of the number “one”. It almost seemed like eternity but was only about 5 seconds before he released it.

Unable to stay seated with the excitement coursing through his viens, Martin jumped up to view the results on the computer monitor. He just about exploded when he saw the results on the screen. For right before his eyes was a perfect number one, with many other incidences of it in many different sizes and shapes along its periphery. Written out and in roman numerals, he was amazed at the clarity. The letters and numbers represented should have been somewhat fuzzy, in texture, but they were as clear as if he had typed it himself on the computer monitor. He figured the word and image sizes were a representation of the intensity in which his brain had released the thought into the electrodes. 

He had actually done it! It was real. 


The files were saved to several drives and USB devices. He didn’t want to lose the data that had just been generated. Providing proof to the scientific community he needed copies of his theory and formula to publish into journals, so he made copies of copies, just to be safe. By the time he had finished making all of his initial copies he was tired. Deciding to postpone further testing, he took everything he had saved and placed them in the safe, in his study. 

The excitement had been too much. He was ready for a long nap. This would be the last time he would have to himself because tomorrow he would be famous beyond his belief. 

June 01, 2020 04:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jessica X
20:29 Jun 08, 2020

Very nice story! I loved the imagery! I could picture the scene happening in my head. You sound really smart with all the machine learning! :)

Reply

Kamiko Tashiro
22:27 Jun 08, 2020

Thank you Jessica. I was hoping to capture a little imagery since I made it so science based. As for the ‘machine learning’ part I just did a little research about the idea, that was totally made up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace Dunnam
05:02 Jun 21, 2020

Very unique! There was a lot of detail put into the story, it made it hard to understand at times but by the end I was a bit more aware of what was going on. Its a very cool concept, i feel like it could eventually be a longer story about how he handles the ups and downs of fame. Nice work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.