Ordinary manifestations, Extraordinary imprints.

Written in response to: Write a story within a story within a story within a ...... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Fiction

Present Day

All the twenty participants sat in the big conference hall. They had all enrolled for the ten-day “Self-Transformation Program.” They had been divided into groups of four each. One of the groups consisted of Myra, Revathi, Jaggu, and Ramesh. All from totally different parts of the country and from different spheres of life. Each one could not have been more different from the other, yet here they were seated together as though sewn together by a common thread. There was still some time for the session to begin and each one was lost in their own thoughts, reminiscing about that one profound experience in their lives that had made them believe in miracles and manifestations and the powerful impact it could leave in their lives.

Myra’s manifestation (Her true calling)

It was Myra's graduation ceremony. Myra had always been a very pretty, happy-go-lucky girl, never really paying attention to what she wanted to do in life. She had always thought she would get married one day and raise a family, just like her mother.

One by one, the children went up on stage, each one saying what they wanted to become. Suddenly, Myra became conscious. What would she say? Her name was called. She went up on the stage and, when asked what she would pursue, found herself tongue-tied.

She had been looking forward to the party that was being thrown by her family for the town folk. But now she felt a little subdued. She recalled that everyone in the family considered her a pretty girl with no brains and no particular talent. She looked at her pretty dress. Suddenly, nothing felt so pretty anymore.

The party went well. She was the attention of all the young boys, but nothing lifted her spirits.

The next morning, she left home in search of a job. That would bring some meaning to her life. That way, she would also be able to buy a laptop for her elder brother, who was aspiring to become a writer.

She saw a board outside that displayed "Secretarial training provided here." She went inside to find the room empty. She heard the telephone on the desk ring. She picked it up. It was an inquiry for training. She spoke to the person and took down his details. In a matter of ten minutes, Myra had attended to three calls.

Geetha, the owner of the business, was observing Myra from a distance. She entered the room and asked

" What's your name?"

"I am Myra. I am sorry, I saw no one here and attended to the calls, " said Myra.

"I saw that. You have exceptional administrative skills. Would you like to work for me as a receptionist?" asked Geetha

"Of course," replied Myra.

Myra saw a laptop lying in one corner.

"Is that laptop in use?" she asked

"No, it hasn't been used for months," replied Lucy

"I wish to gift one to my brother," said Myra

"Well, we can work out a deal. Since I am just setting up my business, I can't pay you much. But if you work for me, not only can you earn the laptop, but also take the secretarial course for free after your work hours. Does that sound good?" asked Geetha, smiling

Myra could not believe her luck

"Of course, can I start right away?" asked an excited Myra.

"Very well, you can," said Geetha, smiling.

That day, Myra manifested not only her true calling but also the means to gift her dear brother a laptop.

Revathi’s manifestation of courage (Revathi’s rebellion)

Revathi lay on her bed. The walls of the room seemed to be coming closer and closer, suffocating her, as though ready to engulf her completely. The afternoon heat was oppressive. Beads of perspiration trickled down her face, mingling with her tears. Soon it would be time for her evening chores. She felt utterly alone and desperate. She had no one in whom she could confide. She was married to Ramesh the youngest of four brothers. All four brothers were married and they lived in a traditional joint family with conservative customs and staunch believers of superstitions. Her mother-in-law was dominating and preference was always given to the eldest son and his wife. Her husband lacked the courage to stand up to his mother and elder brothers.

Revathi had conceived her first child within two months of her marriage. She had broken the news to her husband, expecting him to be over the moon. But he had been snappy and moody. Suddenly everybody seemed to be shunning her, as though she had committed a crime. Then the next day her mother-in-law had come into her room in the afternoon when she had been resting.

"You need to abort the baby," she said.

Revathi was stunned. "But why?"

"Because the elder brothers need to have a child first," said her mother-in-law and simply walked out.

None of her three sisters-in-law had been able to conceive a child yet. But was that her fault? Shouldn't they be happy that their first grandchild was on its way? 

That night Revathi had pleaded with her husband to stand up for her and their child, but he refused. The entire experience had left Revathi devastated. For months she had grieved the child that she had lost. She had cried herself to sleep for days on end. 

Now, as she lay, dread filled her heart. She had just found out that she was pregnant once again. Now she was too scared to tell anyone about it.

That night she prayed for a miracle. Oh, if only her mother had been alive. How she missed her mother's soothing presence, her strength, her love. She cried herself to sleep, her last thoughts of her mother.

Suddenly Revathi awoke. Something had awakened her. She got up and looked around. She saw a blinding white light outside her window and the silhouette of her mother, beckoning her to follow her.

Revathi got up and walked in a trance. 

"Amma, is that really you?" she asked in wonder.

"Yes, my dear, you needed me, and so I came. Follow me" said her mother, taking her by her hand and leading her.

"Where are we going Amma?" asked Revathi.

"You shall soon see" replied her mother.

They walked hand in hand to the middle of a field. There at some distance was a white halo. Inside the halo was a 9-month-old baby, crawling, and crying.

"Who is he Amma?" asked Revathi.

"This is your son dear, had he been alive, he would have been nine months old now," said her mother.

"Revathi's heart felt heavy with emotions. She felt tears flow down freely. Oh! what a mistake she had made. If only she had been firmer.

"I am pregnant again Amma, and now I am scared of losing this one too. What should I do?" wailed Revathi.

"When it comes to your baby, don't allow anyone else to take a decision. You have to be strong for your baby. Don't worry. You will know what to do this time,” said her mother.

Suddenly the light was gone. Revathi woke up with a start. Has she been dreaming? It had seemed so real.

She caressed her stomach, as though caressing her unborn child. Suddenly she felt a strange sense of calmness and strength. She knew exactly what she had to do. She got up, took bath, and got ready.

"Where are you going?" asked her mother-in-law.

"I am going to the temple" replied Revathi calmly but firmly and left the house.

Revathi knew that Vasantha visited the temple every day at this time.

Revathi entered the temple and greeted Vasantha.

"How are you, Revathi? Will you be participating in the village cultural event this time? asked Vasantha

"I am not sure. If my health allows, I will" said Revathi.

"Why what wrong dear?" asked Vasantha, her curiosity piqued.

"I just found out that I am pregnant," said Revathi.

"Oh! that's wonderful news. I must visit your house to congratulate your mother-in-law" said a visibly excited Vasantha

Revathi walked back home, smiling. She knew that by afternoon most of the village would have heard the news.

That evening Ramesh came storming into the room.

"Why did you go around announcing the pregnancy" he snapped.

Revathi looked at him, with a determined gleam in her eyes. 

"Come what may, I will not allow anything or anyone to come between me and my child. I will stand up to your whole family if I need to" she replied calmly. "I don't have to defend my actions. It is what I should have done long ago."

With that she walked out of the room, leaving a gaping Ramesh behind.

That day Revathi had manifested her long-lost courage, thanks to her mother and her child.

Jaggu’s Manifestation of friendship

Jaggu, a migrant construction worker, was busy at work on a peak summer day. His face was heavily beaded with perspiration, which he wiped away with a sodden cloth. He was covered with dust all over. This was normal for him. However today, it weighed on him greatly. His new bride was waiting at home, and this would be their first time together, alone. His palms were sweaty, both with the heat and growing anxiety. He would have to take extra care to clean himself off the dust, to make himself as presentable as possible.

He still had a couple of hours for his shift to get over. He reluctantly got to work, tearing himself away from his thoughts. Jaggu was just 23, but his family members back in the village had pressurized him to get married when he visited them this time. He had tried to persuade them that making a living as a migrant laborer was tough and it was not enough to support a wife. But they had insisted, as was the norm in the villages. Finally, he had to give in. They had returned to Mumbai a day after their wedding, and today, he would return back not to an empty home for the first time. Apprehension started building up once again inside him.

Dhanvanti looked around the one-room house with a tiny space in the corner, meant for a kitchen. She felt alone and anxious. How would her husband turn out to be? What would be her life like in the alarming big new city? She missed her family terribly. She was unsure what to expect, what she was supposed to do when Jaggu returned home in the evening. Would he start to claim his marital rights right away? To take her mind off things, Dhanvanti started cleaning the room. 

Jaggu was done for the day. He started his journey home. On the way, as he passed a street his eyes fell on a small shop, which had various ladies' adornments on display. The red glass bangles caught his attention. Yes, he would buy the bangles, a dozen, for his new bride. He fervently hoped that he had made the right choice. 

The evening was approaching, and Dhanvanti knew that Jaggu would be back home any moment. How would she greet him? She decided to make a cup of tea and some pakoras. A couple of hours later there was a knock on the door. Dhanvanti took one look at herself in the small mirror which hung on the wall, then opened the door. 

Jaggu entered and sat on the chair. Either was unsure how to start a conversation. Jaggu looked at her and knew that she was as nervous as he was. Dhanvanti placed a cup of tea and a plate of pakoras in front of Jaggu.

"This is the first time I have returned home to home-cooked tea and snacks," said Jaggu genuinely touched by her gesture.

"I have also got something for you," said Jaggu, showing her the red bangles.

Dhanvanti began to relax. She took the pair of bangles and wore them, six on each hand. She too was genuinely pleased by his gesture.

"They are beautiful," said Dhanvanti, smiling and showing her hands to show him.

She sat beside Jaggu, taking his hand in hers, and clasping her fingers around his.

They sat in silence for some time and then started talking, small idle talk.

Something precious had already manifested between them that day, the seed of trust and friendship. 

Ramesh’s manifestation of a feeling of true richness

Ramesh woke up to see the fierce rays of sunshine streaming into his lavish bedroom. He groaned. It was noon already. He had had too much to drink last night at the party. Even though the party had been vibrant surrounded by people he knew he had felt loneliness and an emptiness filling his heart, overflowing like spilled wine. Now he felt a terrible headache starting to invade his head. At that very moment, there was a knock on his bedroom door, and his secretary came in.

"Sir, you have a ribbon-cutting inauguration ceremony to attend at Maxwell Hospital for the opening of their brand new state-of-the-art oncology wing at 4 pm in the evening.

Ramesh winced inwardly. How he dreaded these inauguration ceremonies. But he had to go. This was what he was expected to do by being the son and heir to a filthy rich business tycoon. His father had given a generous donation to the hospital. He had all the luxury that money could possibly buy. He had been born with a silver spoon and had never had to worry about a single thing in his life. He should have been grateful and happy. But, surprisingly, of late he felt as though he was missing something. There was a blank in his life and he did not know how to fill it.

Ramesh got up and started to get ready for the day. He arrived at Maxwell Hospital well before time. The staff was there at the entrance to welcome him with bouquets. He cut the ribbon which formally declared the brand-new ward open. He made his routine speech, then started to mingle around with the top management and some senior doctors. That done, he started to make his way out of the hospital when he overheard a young woman standing in the corner, she seemed to be crying.

He told his staff to go ahead, saying he would join them in a couple of minutes. Some instinct within him pulled him towards the young woman.

"Hey, are you okay?" asked Ramesh.

The woman turned around, drying her eyes. 

"Yes, I am fine. Do I know you?" she asked.

"We have not met before, but I had a feeling that you were not quite okay and hence I checked. By the way, I am Ramesh" replied Ramesh.

"I am Tvisha," said the young woman.

"Would you like to talk about it over a cup of coffee?" asked David on an impulse.

"Yes, that would be nice," said Tvisha. She liked the look of this man, he looked genuinely concerned. And somehow, she felt she could talk to him.

"My twelve-year-old daughter Tanishka has blood cancer. I really don't know how I am going to arrange for her medical treatment" said Tivisha, sadly, her eyes brimming with tears.

Ramesh felt something stir in his heart. All his life he had been masked from the goings-on of the real outside world. Here in front of him was this young woman struggling to make ends meet. At such a young age she had been faced with such a huge challenge.

How many more people must be there, just like her who had to struggle for even simple ordinary things?

His mind was made up, he would fund the entire amount required for the treatment of Tvisha's daughter. 

Also, he would start a crowdfunding initiative that would help raise funds for the treatment of children suffering from cancer.

At once a feeling of purpose and inspiration rose in his heart. 

It was the chance encounter with Tvisha that had given him the purpose.

That day he manifested for the first time in his life, a true feeling of richness. 

Present Day

The session was about to begin. The day passed quickly and was soon over. In the evening there was a get-together for all participants to get to know each other better.

For some reason again the four of them were seated together and they started talking.

By the time the evening came to an end, each one had narrated his or her profound experience of an ordinary manifestation that had left a huge positive imprint in their life.

As they sat, narrating, and listening, they realized that they had once again manifested a unique bond between themselves, tied together by the universe.

They knew in their hearts that this bond would last forever. 

February 18, 2023 06:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.