Jailbird Zayn

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about solidarity.... view prompt

0 comments

General

In the land of Haslavania , the citizens were under the reign of the Hans, the religious group in majority. The streets that were once crowded with an exuberant population had witnessed a drought. A gloomy state of atmosphere had covered the skies of Haslavania. People’s faces said nothing but pretentious praises for the Hans rule. The upside down grin was sufficient to judge that the Hans Rule had brought nothing but despair amongst the citizens of the town which was once walking on air.

On the Hasley Road of the Old Town side, you would spot a young man sitting on the rusty bench always facing down with a book in his hand. Perhaps the only friend he had was the book. He would sit there for hours during his Day-Out dates. He was a prisoner at the Lockup of Old Town side and would be released to wander on Saturday Nights.

Muttering to himself he said, “ Lord, we’re your children and nevertheless the greatest creation of God. Why are my hands shackled with iron that makes my wrist bleed? Why am I put in a dungeon that stinks of a rottening human body?

Why am I fed with food that can merely keep my skin from flaking off? I can bare all this discomfort and the gradual decay of my body , but is it all just because I was born on the wrong land where my community is not welcomed with a red carpet?” I have been put behind the bars for a crime I never committed, I am born into a community by the will of God and humans perceiving themselves as the ultimate messengers of God have no right to treat me like a gutter rat. What choice do I have? We’re meagre in number and weak to fight. We’re all sulking and running low in spirits. This can’t This can’t be the end of the world. This blasphemy, this curse on the intellect of the Hans needs to be seized.

In the corner of the road, beside the tall corroded pole stood a lady who was continuously gaping at Zayn, the jailbird boy. She scurried towards him like a whirlwind and stopped the tear that was to drop down Zayn’s dreamy eyes. She said, “Dear child, no man or wife on this unholy land is throwing bouquets at the glory of the Hans. We’re all down in the dumps for Hanslavania was once a radient brew of jolly men and women.”

She took a pause, sipped her coffee and said, “All I need you to do for me is convince the fellow convicted men to bolster up their psyche and rise to rebel against this brutal oppression, once you’re out of that filthy slammer, it will be in my hands to help achieve what every human deserves.”

Zayn’s eyes were lit for the first time in the blue moon. A new hope, a hope to life had sprung in his heart like wildflowers bloom on a spring day. His blood was rushing with a new charisma and the urge to be free. Yes, he needed freedom and so did the others.

He went back to the miserable lockup. He put out his best effort to be a master orator. He said, “ Brothers and Sisters, when I was a child, freedom to me was to have access to anything I want, to be anything a human with etiquettes should, to express myself and my views and obviously to fly with no strings attached. But with this rule? The definition of freedom has narrowed to such an extent that we’ve forgotten even we matter. We have the right to live.”

People were moved by his words and wanted to cater beliefs in themselves. The very next morning they rushed to the barriers and stormed the prison. They were out without shackles pulling them back they were out for good.

The lady from the street greeted them with enthusiasm and united the Scintillate community with the Elicta committee. Together the people planned to fight for their rights and not to overthrow but to amalgamate and bond with the Hans. 

“We are one, we have joined hands but what we still lack is the sense of passion and the sense of solidarity that must be the driving force for us to achieve what we deserve“, said Zayn with a fainting tone.

A little boy in baggy clothes with cracked skin stood up and said, I have a plan. “Mass support is what we need. We as humans have forgotten what it really means to be human. Ironic isn’t it? Let’s start by holding public protests, sing the hymns of unity, lets put posters of what being human signifies. Let’s take extracts from all wise books ever written that tell that in the end, we belong to the same race, it is mankind. The seeds of which were sown long ago but how the superior and plants of majority aren’t giving enough space for the minority to nourish. We are born on the same land and have to feed on the same food. Communal growth is what we need. We don’t have to go on the roads, shout and disrupt what has already been structure. We have to have pips of sincerity in order to reach the zenith. Arms and ammunitions did no good to anyone. They only made large societies crumble to dust.”

The lady from street looked at the young soul, so naive and new in society to understand how cruel humans can be. But, his words did make sense. There was something about the little kid that made everyone fall for his plan. The youth was speaking is what it was. Even the most powerful old men are not able to convince large population, and this was just a 13 year old who dreamt of a harmonious world.

Nobody that night wanted to see the aspirations of the kid go in vain. Nobody slept. All the men and women that night lay on their beds thinking and plotting the most congenial ways to achieve unity and their long stolen dreams.

The months went on with a series of public and mass exhibitions. Storytelling, music, art and plays had an impact on the crowd.

It was then carefully decided that the Hans Rulers will be met and conditions will be discussed. However, the doors were slammed shut and the walls were too high to climb. How were these people supposed to talk to the rulers?

The lady finally said, “ Citizens, I am none other than Princess Hana, I felt choked in the four walls of the Hans castle. I felt I was born amongst the most inhumane beings, my family that would look down upon such innocent souls. I am sorry for the loss caused but I have always wanted to wash away the sins my family did. I have showcased you all that I can be trusted and I mean only good to you all. So, please trust me; I have a key to an underground chamber that leads straight to the court room.”

Zayn was pink,” How are we supposed to trust you Ma’am, you have lied to us about your identity for long enough for us to feel betrayed. My integrity feels to be rusting.”

Princess Hana said, “ Would you have ever trusted me if in the beginning onky I had told the truth?”

Everyone was quiet like a statue.

” Yes, that’s the reason, I tried to win your hearts so that you understand I am here to help you all get freedom.”

“Lets not waste time and hurry inside” said Hana.

They scurried through the marshy channel and into the tunnel that lead them to the court room. They spot the armed forces and the King sitting doing absolutely nothing as though he was expecting the arrival.

“I knew my daughter would go out of my hands and one day turn on against me for the ill I did, just never thought the day would come so soon. You do not fail to impress me Honey Hana” said the grumpy old kind.

“Cut the small talk father , or are you even human enough to be my father? I am here for the ruthless king who took away years of innocence from these people. I am here to win them back“ she said.

”Over the past 2 years I have seen how much work you have put in to unite these lowlives, I was prepared this day would come. I know I wasn’t just a racist but also a sexist to think you could never do anything. Though, proving me wrong you have done much more than I ever did good for my citizens throughout my reign. I must say, you deserve the throne and I have nothing to lose. Go ahead darling it is all yours”.

The fruit was sweet and sweeter was the success. Haslavania well, now the Merrylandia is a state where domination is abolished and love is established. Freedom is a right and a glowing light.

June 12, 2020 15:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.