0 comments

Sad Fiction Teens & Young Adult

The evening dipped low on the horizon, casting a warm orange glow across the landscape. An old wooden swing, weathered by time and perched at the crest of the Grand Canyon Hill, swayed gently in the breeze, its rhythmic creaks blending with the distant sounds of nature. Jeryne and Sofina sat side by side on the weathered wooden swing, their feet brushing against the soft grass below. Behind them, the quaint village of Hailswood sprawled out, its rooftops adorned with ivy and its streets winding like the threads of an ancient tapestry.


“Do you still remember when we used to come here every other day after school?” Jeryne said as she gazed out of the familiar view, her lips curved into a reminiscent smile.


“How could I forget?” Sofina replied, her eyes scanning the horizon. “It was our sanctuary away from the chaos of teenage life.”


Jeryne chucked, leaning back against the weathered ropes of the swing. “And how about that time when we decided to camp out here overnight? With just a tent and a few packs of snacks. We were so confident we could brave the elements with whatever we had with us.”


“Until it started pouring so heavily at 3am, and we had to run back home soaking wet!” Sofina’s laughter filled the air, blending with the rustling of leaves.


“This place looks exactly the same as I remember, doesn't it?” Sofina continued with a smile.


Their smile lingers, but beneath the surface, a current of nostalgia and regret begins to stir as the memories of their past in Hailswood hanged between them like a delicate thread.


In the village of Hailswood, tradition was more than a relic of the past; it was a living, breathing entity, intricately woven into the fabric of daily life. Here, amidst the tranquil countryside, traditions weren't merely respected; they were treated as sacred bonds that bound the community together. Like a vital force coursing through the veins of the land, these customs shaped the destiny of all who called Hailswood home.


"I'll always cherish the memories of your family’s hospitality whenever I visited. Your mother’s warmth and presence always put me at ease," Jeryne recalled, her gaze meeting Sofina's.


"Oh yes, she held a special place for you. When we first arrived in Hailswood, it was challenging. People were unfamiliar with us, but your family was one of the first to extend kindness and support," Sofina replied, a smile tinged with emotion gracing her lips.


"Your mother made a significant impact on so many lives in Hailswood. I'll never forget the day she was featured in the newspaper as a renowned healer. The entire village swelled with pride, knowing such a respected figure hailed from our midst," Jeryne reminisced, her foot absently stirring the mud beneath the swing.


"Yes, it was a moment of immense pride for us. It's baffling, isn't it? To be esteemed for healing prowess, yet shunned for our innate abilities," Sofina remarked, her voice heavy with resignation. "Do you believe, even now, in this modern era, that such prejudice and hostility persist? Or do you hold hope that those dark days are finally behind us?"


Jeryne's feet stilled in the swirling mud beneath the swing, her head bowed low. Anger surged within her, heat flushing her cheeks crimson. With clenched fists, she gripped the weathered ropes of the swing, her frustration palpable yet restrained. Though words clamored to escape, she swallowed hard, exhaling a gentle sigh as she chose to hold her tongue.


"You know, I've always admired your sense of style. The way you apply your makeup, your fashion choices, they've always been spot-on. But this look... Vengeance... it doesn't suit you," Sofina confessed, a note of concern threading through her words.


Jeryne lifted her head, a sigh escaped her lips, heavy with the weight of years spent shouldering sorrow. She blinked back tears, but they came anyway, pooling in her eyes before tracing a silent path down her cheeks. The ache in her chest was palpable, a relentless reminder of the pain experienced back then.


Jeryne locked eyes with Sofina. And as they gazed into each other's eyes, they both knew that some moments were never meant to be forgotten, no matter how much time passed.


"Hey, it's time to let go." Sofina's voice broke the heavy silence. "I know it's been a painful journey, but it's been a decade since then. Seeing you still holding on worries me." She reached out, her touch gentle on Jeryne's shoulder.


"Do you... not harbour any resentment towards them? Have you truly moved on?" Jeryne's voice trembled, tears welling in her eyes.


"Truth be told, if I said I harboured no hatred at all, it would be a lie," Sofina confessed, her voice heavy with resignation. "I was only sixteen when it happened. How could there not be hate?" She sighed deeply before continuing, "My mother was so kind, never harming a soul. They had no right to destroy her."


Sofina inhaled deeply, lifting her head high in a determined effort to hold back the tears threatening to spill. With a moment to gather her composure, she turned to look at Jeryne, offering a soft smile that concealed the turmoil within.


"But put yourself in the shoes of the people in Hailswood," Sofina reasoned. "They were afraid." She paused, gathering her thoughts before continuing. "Witchcraft has been so misrepresented, often depicted as inherently evil. In a village steeped in conservative traditions, it was difficult for them to accept a healer, even one with extraordinary abilities, labelled as a 'witch'."


"But they had no right to take justice into their own hands," Jeryne countered, her tone edged with anger. "I understand that in some parts of the world, human rights may not be as respected, but we're talking about a woman who saved countless lives in the village. Their actions were unjustifiable."


Silence settled heavily between them following Jeryne's revelation. After a few tense seconds, Jeryne spoke again. "Actually, no one was supposed to know about your mother's special abilities. It was Uncle Harry who broke the news after your mother turned down his proposal to market a vitamin pill. He's the one who should be destroyed, especially after your mother saved him from his illness," Jeryne added, her voice tinged with righteous indignation.


"But in fairness to him," Sofina said, her voice softening, "when everything went awry, he quietly smuggled me out of the village, knowing I was innocent and wanting to ensure my safety. "The rest was my choice. I made the choice, and you know that," Sofina whispered, her fingers gentle as they brushed through Jeryne's hair.


With her head still bowed, Jeryne clasped Sofina's hands from her head, lowering them gently to her chest. She lifted her gaze to meet Sofina's eyes and uttered softly, "You shouldn't have stayed. You shouldn't have left me alone." Tears rolled down Jeryne's cheeks, her voice catching as she continued, "Among all the chaos, my failure to protect you weighs heaviest."


"I couldn't just abandon my parents, trapped in that burning house. I couldn't bear to watch them perish. I had to do everything in my power," Sofina explained earnestly. She held Jeryne's gaze with love and sincerity. "I do love you, Jeryne, but I owe my life to my parents."


Jeryne wiped away her tears scattered around her cheeks and jaw with both of hands, her jaw clenched in frustration. "I can still vividly recall how my family was also trapped in our own home by the other villagers, unwilling to let us intervene. We could feel the intense heat from within, see the ominous orange glow through our windows, and witness hundreds of onlookers standing by, doing nothing. It's as if it all happened yesterday, and I'll never comprehend the cruelty of those people."


"It's all behind us now, and you're thriving. I'm genuinely happy for you, and I hope you can find a way to release yourself from the grip of that terrible ordeal and embrace the future," Sofina said, her smile warm and encouraging as she urged Jeryne to let go, just as she had. "I love you, and I want nothing more than for you to find happiness."


As she gazed at Sofina’s sweet and warm smile, she mirrored it on her own - as a mask to conceal her innermost feelings. With a resolute exhale, she made a silent commitment. “Yes, tonight is the night I am going to close this chapter. For you, for your mother, and for me. I promise.” Jeryn assured Sofina with a soft voice. She leaned back on the swing, the cool night air brushing against her skin. Her fingers gripped the ropes of the swing, her knuckles whitening with determination. It was time.


Jeryne rose from the swing with a deliberate slowness, her tentative steps carrying her to the hill's edge. Her eyes wandered over the barren bushes until they met the intense gaze of a figure cloaked entirely in black, positioned motionless behind the weathered trunk of an ancient tree. The man's unwavering stare seemed to suggest a patient anticipation, as if he had been waiting for this moment for a long time. With a subtle nod, she sent the signal they had agreed upon—a signal of readiness, of readiness to unleash the storm that had been brewing inside her for so long.


As the man melted into the shadows, disappearing from her sight, Jeryne took measured steps backward until she reached the swing. She settled onto it; her gaze fixated once more on Sofina. “I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.” She said as she reached out to touch Sofina’s face, her fingers trembling with emotion. And just as her hand made contact, Sofina began to fade, her form dissolving like smoke in the wind.


Tears streamed down Jeryne's cheeks, their warmth mingling with the cool night air. She stood atop the hill, overlooking the village that had once been her haven, now consumed by flames. Each house lit up in a fiery dance, casting an orange glow that painted the entire landscape.


The heat reached her even from this distance, a familiar sensation reminiscent of the inferno that had devastated her life a decade ago. But this time, there was no fear, no helplessness—only a profound sense of closure.


As she watched Hailswood burn, a weight lifted from her shoulders. The memories of that tragic night mingled with the satisfaction of knowing that this chapter, filled with pain and sorrow, was finally coming to an end. The village would never again be a breeding ground for such cruelty and destruction.


Turning away from the spectacle, she took a deep breath, inhaling the crisp night air. The stars above twinkled like silent witnesses to her catharsis, and she made a final glance over her shoulder at the empty swing.


“Farewell, my friend.”

April 20, 2024 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.