0 comments

Fiction Coming of Age

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

Gasoline and motor oil mixed in the air with a sweet smell of caramelized sugar.  The pop of soda hist as Liz Carterlean leaned against the brick wall. She slurped her drink as Pa walked into the shop. Desert air pounded against her golden flesh turning her cheeks and forehead into a blistering rose color. 

Liz remained almost effortlessly still but inside her organs twist and turned up and down,  days like this were never easy. Why couldn't her sister just ever listen, why do they have to go trucking around the entire country looking for her again. The gas station was basically empty, as it should be this far away from town. There was a sadan idled near the dumpster, and Pa’s old green pickup truck was parked at a pump. If the red and green sign wasn’t flashing open she would have thought this place was closed. 

The freeway a few miles away echo down the long dirt road, cars wheezing past and getting on with their lives as she was standing her waiting for Sister yet again. She watched the truck, and the hum of the engine as cool air hissed out, and Charlie sat peacefully watching his cartoons. A tv was important if you were going road-tripping with a toddler. 

A scream long and curdled shrieked out of the small shop.  Liz held her ears as a short blonde girl was dragged out thrashing and cursing. Every type of profanity screeched from her mouth. Her round little body wailing, endurance endless. Liz watched Pa hold his ground against her manic movements. Dragging Sister towards the pickup truck. 

“I’m calling the police.” A man shouted from inside the store. 

Liz sipped her drink and pulled out the car keys. Pa flicked back his brown hair dropping Sister,  his voice smooth as honey, “This is my daughter and she ran away.”  the words hit empty and deaf ears.  

Liz didn't bother to try. Who was going to listen when a pretty blonde girl is screaming kidnap. The man in the green overalls clenched his phone, and Liz popped back in that truck slamming the door closed.  it was going to be a long day. 

 Sister now free ran back into the gas station as if Pa would ever hurt her.  In truth, it didn't really look proper. His temper got the best of him, and he dragged her out by her hair kicking and screaming, everyone knew there were gentler ways. Flicking the radio on Liz popped her feet up on the dash. 

“Drugs will make you do some stupid shit,” she muttered to baby Charlie in the back. 

Overalls refused for Pa to come to the store, He Slipped back and leaned against the truck. “Sorry sweetie,” Pa said panting, 

Liz looked at him covered in dirt and some pink liquid. With a gentle smirk offered him that last sip of soda, eyes flickering around until she found trouble in the rearview mirror. A man with faded tattoos long natty hair, and a jean jacket, reflected in the thin glass. He walked up, chest out boots stomping in the dirt, he had a purpose. 

“Pa.” she jerks her head to the man in the jacket.  Who wears a jacket in this heat, drugs, which means his Sister's boy toy. 

Pa popped the glass off his lips and smacked them together. “Hey.” putting his hand up.  

 Jacket kicked up faster, and swung out a harsh right hook, knuckles smacking assigned Pa’s right temple. He hit the dirt and Liz locked the door cracking the window up, just slightly enough to be able to hear and see what was going on. 

“Don't worry,” she said to Baby, making sure his door was locked and window up. 

The car shook, the two slamming into the side of the truck bed, the gas pump ripping from the tank. Oil spilled all over the dirt Overalls screaming and hollering. Jackets ended up on the floor Pa on top and pounding Jacket's face into the dirt.  “Yeah!” Liz cheered. “Go Pa!”

BANG!

A shot ran out, loud as thunder. Everyone froze to the call of the gun. “I said get the fuck out.” Overalls said, shotgun in hand. His eyes didn't twitch as the barrel pointed down to Pa, First shot was a warning, Liz stared back into those gray wrinkled eyes, that locked onto her father as if he was a coyote.  Her stomach boiled, her hands twitch if only she had a gun right now. 

Baby Charlie started to scream, begging for Pa. 

She clenched her fist and waited. Ignoring the sounds as she watched Overalls, stand there. 

“Go on.” the old man said. 

Her father slowly stood and put one hand out he wasn’t done yet. Baby screamed and Pa stood there doing nothing about it. 

“Baby Charlie,” she called out, voice burning with hate. 

Pa fixes his hair again, ignoring her.  “My daughter,” he said to Overalls this was between them.  Liz rolled her eyes, always about Sister. She wasn't good like Liz and Sister caused too many problems for the family. Liz didn't understand why Pa tried so hard to get her home. Just a dumb girl hooked on drugs, let her go. Grabbing Charlie out of his car seat.  Liz rubbed his ears sitting now in the driver seat, putting her foot on the brake and the car in drive. Ready to go if need be. 

Jackets mourned on the floor, coughing up blood.

 “You go on now!” Overalls said. 

“I got proof she’s my daughter..” Pa said, fingers snapping to Liz in the car. 

Overalls fixed his grip on the gun. 

 She pulled out the family photo album, and birth records from the dash. Bopping Charlie and sighed, the fact that they kept these things on hand is absolutely ridiculous.  

 Chucking the paper out the window to Pa, Liz narrow her eyes to Jackets who held his head, that boy was too close to the car. She rolled the window all the way up. Liz wanted to bury her head in the dirt, trying to ignore the begging and groveling Pa was going to do for Sister. This was a train wreck and she couldn’t do anything but watch. Hands up like a common criminal he marched up there slowly with his little pink book and papers to an old man and overalls who would rather shoot him than hear him out. 

 Pa tapped the pages of the book and shows him the birth certificate. Making sure this insignificant man believed he was exactly who he said they were. Presenting precious family memories trying to prove his claim to his own daughter. A girl who didn't want him as a father. when the two children who desperately need him are locked in a  car next to a dangerous drug addict. 

Jacket stood up and walked up to Pa, 

“Hold it right there,” Overalls said. 

Jackets stopped and called out for Sister. “Bell!”  His voice was raspy and spitting up blood. 

Sister steps near the door, holding herself. In a pretty pink dress, stockings ripped, and her hair tossed and knotted. 

  After everything they went through to get here, Bell only comes out for Jacket. Liz's body shook, free hand clenching the wheel, Supporting Charlie, She should just turn this car back around and go home. Leaving Him and Sister to their own devices. 

Pa reaches out for Bell but she slinks away, and under his arms smack into Jacket's embrace. 

“I’m not going home,” she yells into his chest. 

Liz hops down, holding Charlie to her hip,  The heat of the sun couldn't match the boiling inside of her chest. “Get your ass in the car!” She screamed like a mad woman. The faces of the men in front of her, made her take a step back. Pa shook his head, Overalls pointing the gun up as if he was scared of her, and Bell sweet Bell crying into Jacket's arms. He held her tighter glaring deep into Liz’s eyes, he was going to do everything to keep Sister, good let him have her. 

“Pa you coming!” she hissed. 

      “Go away Elizabeth!” Bell screams. 

“I’m trying.” she puts one foot forward and Jacket pushed Bell behind him. “PA.” she screamed “Let's go.” 

“Get back in the truck, Liz.” he pointed at her. 

“She not going to come, just let her end up like Ma.” Tears crept to Liz’s eyes, and she pushed them back hiking Charlie up.  

“I'm not telling you again.” He yelled, 

Bell screamed and kicked at the words, “Ma” she cried. It was a lonely and long scream. 

“God,” Liz mutters. 

Charlie cry again, the dirt crushed under her feet, and the whaling of them both scarred her ears. Pulling at her hair, she spun on her heels. “Me or her Pa. I’m going home.”

The only thing Liz could hear was Charlie, his body a thousand pounds in her arms, as he screamed up a storm. Almost at the truck, a rock flew and hit the glass cracking the windshield. 

Liz stopped, the fire in her stomach gone, the crack on the car window reflected her own broken face. Tears had bobbled over Liz's blue eyes, smudging mascara and powder. Pa’s truck was the only thing left of her childhood. 

He spent a fortune on rehab centers for Ma, first losing the house, their toys, and clothes, to pawn shops, and grandmother’s jewelry. They lost it all but not the truck, never Pa’s truck. 

She lifted Charlie up, rubbing his back, it was sweaty and sticky the baby clung to her. He’ll never know his mother but he will always know she chose pills over him. Maybe saving Sister was Pa’s pill, maybe he was addicted to helping her, he lost it all for Ma, and now he is doing it all again for Bell. 

    She silently strapped Charlie into the car seat, the screaming and wailing behind her, but not a soul came over when she put the car back in drive. 

“You'll lose everything if can't let go.” She said to Charlie and drove off. 

July 30, 2023 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.