13 comments

Christmas Mystery Bedtime

Too-Cute Mix-Up

Chrissy tucked Carlson under a multi-colored quilt before he said his prayers.

“What story do you want me to read to you? 'Frosty, the Snowman' or 'Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer'.

“'Frosty', please.” Sleepy-eyed Carlson responded.

The visiting five-year-old was sound asleep before 'Frosty' melted away to return another year. And it was no wonder. Chrissy reflected on what their day had been like.

***

Hard to believe it was only last evening when the two of them had met at the Harbor House Restaurant. Chrissy, having had an exhausting day handling a classroom full of hyped-up-on-Christmas-cheer fifth-graders reluctantly accompanied her Nana to downtown festivities then to dinner. Carlson had come in with his aging grandfather who recognized Nana from years ago and struck up a conversation about the good old days.

Chrissy knew a bored five-year-old when she saw one so offered to take him for a walk. His grandfather suffered a medical emergency while the two were admiring the Northern Lights. Nana went to the hospital with her old friend but he never recovered. Chrissy was pressed into service as babysitter until the little guy's family could be located.

Chrissy and Carlson spent the morning cleaning up her gingerbread-coated classroom and built a couple of miniature gingerbread houses themselves.

Before the two left the school they stopped into the school library to borrow some books then headed to Nana's Victorian home that Chrissy shared to warm up by the fire with some PB&J sandwiches and hot cocoa.

Carlson reminded Chrissy he really didn't like sleeping in the all-things-Barbie guest room, even if it should only be one more night. Creative thinking brought about a welcome change in his temporary environment.

Chrissy stuffed the marshmallow-y pink bedspread and pillow shams into a plastic storage bag. The kind you vacuum the air out and it magically shrinks down into pancake size. Carlson got such a kick out of that trick she had to do it two more times for him, then he repeated it, too. All nick-knack, patty-wack Barbie decorations or toys went into a tote.

“Maybe we can take these to the Goodwill store to donate and find some more appropriate things you will like.” The resourceful teacher suggested.

Chrissy found the multi-colored quilt to cover the twin bed and she sewed fabric loops on one end of two dark blue towels, threaded them over a rod and hung them at the window. It didn't erase all the pink but definitely toned it down enough one little boy could be more comfortable sleeping in the space.

“Hope we can find some outer space things to make it even better.” Carlson mused as they ventured out.

At the shop they hit the jack pot with a set of moon and stars sheets, a couple of out-of-this-world posters that would cover more of the pink walls and a rocket ship lamp.

Chrissy browsed through the little boy clothing and found another pair of jeans just his size. And a bonus of snow pants! Maybe he could burn off some of his little boy energy playing in the back yard if he was dressed for it. Then she spied the exact thing that would help. A round flying saucer sled. The backyard had a slight slope for that to work.

She had her hand on it when it was suddenly yanked away from her.

“Hey, what's the big idea? I was putting that in my cart.”

“No way! That's going home with me!” A rude burly-type man claimed.

“Russell? Russell Koolridge? I clearly had it in my grasp. We need it, don't we, Carlson?”

“Chrissy Merriman! I never knew you had a kid!”

“I am watching him for a friend and we need some entertainment this afternoon. I know of the perfect slope to use this on and we even found snow pants. That belongs to us.” She was infuriated with this insufferable entitled nemesis she knew from the school where they taught.

What made it even worse was he was already a published YA author and constantly teased her about getting her unfinished romance novel out there. The very thing she was planning on working on this two week break before she got babysitting duties unexpectedly thrust her way.

“Well, what do you know? How do you do, 'Carlson' is it? My name is Russ Koolridge but you can call me 'Mr. Kool' like all the kids at school do. I am a teacher like Miss Chrissy, here, but with the older kids. I teach all the cool classes like math and science stuff. I need this piece of art for a space display this coming semester.”

By this time Carlson had the biggest puppy dog eyes to go with his quivering bottom lip but he remembered his manners. “Nice to meet you, Mista Cool. I really, really wanted to sled down a hill with that today. I might not be here tomorrow. Do you really know about space and stuff? We are fixing Miss Chrissy's Barbie room into a space room so I can sleep in it.”

“Do I know about space? I am the expert on all things orbiting. Ask me anything. Why I even write stories about it. Some of it fantastical. But mostly for kids older than you are now. But someday... Say. I know! Why don't I buy this old saucer and let you borrow it for today or however long you plan on staying with Miss Chrissy. I don't need it yet.”

“Well, I was planning on purchasing it.”

“Save your hard earned cash. Allow me. Where is this hill you are going to tackle?”

“In my backyard.”

“Oh, that's no more than a little slope. Let me show you where a real hill is. This boy is ready to fly on this thing. Right, Carlson?”

“You bet!”

“Well, let's go!” He swung Carlson up on his shoulders before Chrissy could object and headed to the check out. All of her purchases totaled about twelve dollars but he paid in full.

“Now wait. You don't need to...”

“Please, it is my pleasure at Christmas. I don't have kids, either.”

The lady at the checkout complimented them on what a cute family they were and wished them a Merry Christmas.

“Oh, but we're...”

“Delighted you think so, Ma'am. Have a nice one yourself.” And he led them swiftly out the door.

The hill he led them to was perfect for sledding. The sun shown perfectly displaying all the diamonds in the snow. And 'Mr. Kool' was perfectly cool nestling Carlson in his crossed legs keeping him safe flying downhill. Chrissy had to admit she had fun watching the two tumble and sprawl. Russell would perch Carlson on his shoulders as they climbed back up the hill each run. Of course, the afternoon wasn't complete until they made snow angels and were completely frozen.

She felt kind of obligated to ask him to join them as they warmed their rosy cheeks by the fire back at her place. She fixed them some tea while he asked to see Carlson's room and hung the posters for him.

“It's looking a lot like NASA in here, Young Man. Someday you may be an astronaut. Let's go thank Miss Chrissy then I have to take off. I had a blast today.”

”Me, too, Mista Cool. Thank you.”

After Russell excused himself Chrissy and Carlson cooked mac and cheese with little wieners and sat down for supper at the kitchen island just as Nana arrived home. She took the responsibility of explaining that Carlson's grandpa would not be coming back from the hospital.

“Your Grandpa was not well and the doctors were not able to help him get better. He passed away earlier today. Do you understand?”

“You mean he got to go live with Jesus? He has wanted to do that for a long time. He told me all about it. How wonderful it will be. I should always be a good little boy so someday I can go live with Jesus, too. I only have to know Jesus took away all my sins. We even sing a song about it with a manager. Like Daddy.

'Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care. And take us to heaven to live with Thee there.'”

“How often did you visit with your Grandpa, Carlson?” Chrissy asked.

“Mommy took me there a lot when he lived in his big house with Grandma. This was onlyest time I was 'possed to stay all by myself with him for most wonderful time of the year.

“Mommy is going to miss him even if he is with Jesus. I should probably be with Mommy. She will need me. You have been fun Chrissy but you have Nana again now. When can I go to Mommy?” Carlson knitted his eyebrows together.

“We are making sure she will be here soon.” Nana assured.

“We had a full day. I think it is time to get into PJs, brush teeth and try out that new room. I'll read you a story when you are ready.”

Carlson had a long list of prayers that night. “Please, Jesus, watch over Grandpa who came to live with you and Grandma. And Mommy missing him. Help Daddy become best manager ever so Mommy can smile again, just like Mista Cool made Chrissy smile and not be sad today. And, please, find Mommy and Daddy. They'll be worried 'cause they are lost.”

***

After she was sure he fell asleep, Chrissy met up with Nana in front of the fire.

“Any success locating his parents?”

December 29, 2023 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Olivia Lake
04:37 Jan 03, 2024

I am enjoying the addition of Mista Cool! The sledding scene was very sweet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:52 Jan 01, 2024

Sweet series Mary. Giving me all the feels. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. D. Lair
21:58 Dec 29, 2023

Oh no! The ending got me. At least the boy has a positive outlook on things. May he be reunited with his parents soon, but thankfully he’s in good company. I wonder if Mista Cool and Chrissy get together? 🤔

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:12 Dec 29, 2023

See the next installment already should be up on my profile.

Reply

J. D. Lair
23:17 Dec 29, 2023

I noticed and will give it a read. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
00:39 Mar 11, 2024

The story pulls at your heartstrings with the sudden loss of Carlson's grandfather. Chrissy and Carlson's connection throughout the day is so touching, and the way Russell is woven into the narrative adds depth to the whole experience. You can't help but wonder what will happen with Carlson's family and if they'll be able to find his parents. It's just a really moving and well-told tale.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:16 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you so much for this thoughtful comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jarrel Jefferson
15:46 Jan 24, 2024

I want Christ and Koolridge to get married. It’s a little sad that the grandpa died, but Carlson, positive attitude towards it makes the ending not depressing. I wouldn’t expect you to write anything depressing, actually. What made you want to write a multi-part story?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:23 Jan 24, 2024

My attempt at a Hallmark Christmas story and it didn't all fit in one. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:50 Jan 05, 2024

A follow up to a most unusual situation. It's not at all what Chrissy planned for, but it's looking like it's not bad for her either. I don't want to say “it's what she needed” since needing a grandfather to die is morbid, but I think you know what I mean :) One thing that does surprise me is how calm Carlson is about it all, especially given he's surrounded by complete strangers. Given his response to his grandfather dying, it seems like he already has some familiarity with death. If I'm honest, I'm not sold on his stoicness. He's fine co...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:09 Jan 06, 2024

I clearly see your points. I have been trying to keep these short and easy reads but maybe kept things too simplistic. Working on one more so maybe can add more character into the mix. Thanks for your always detailed and excellent observations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lois Hibbert
23:15 Jan 04, 2024

Great hook ending leaving us to wonder what happened to the parents, would you consider continuing the story? Only critique I could make would be on the dialogue - maybe consider using contractions "I'm" instead of "I am" etc., to make it sound a little more natural. Love Carlson's dialogue "the onlyest time I was 'possed to" - perfect for a little guy. Oh, just read in another comment that this is an installment! Wonderful, I'll check it out!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:05 Jan 05, 2024

I wrote three in the series. May have a fourth one coming to wrap it up. Depends on prompts. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.