Benjamin, Rocking and Rolling.

Written in response to: Set your story on New Year's Day.... view prompt

0 comments

Christian

Benjamin had always been a good straight honest person in his belief. He did not always like change, had to accept it the same as everyone else. The internet great a way of keeping in touch seeing things you would never even of thought of years ago.

Disadvantage being that people shopped more online, he prefered tradition. Choosing items as an adult in store. He remembered as a child pointing out what he would like for Christmas in the toyship window. The displays why was the past always better?

He remembered New year grandmothe Nancy opening all the doors, in the house to let the old year out. Welcoming in the new year. Did people celebrate so much? If you were lucky you got wished a happy new year? Alot thought of new year as drinking in the pubs. In Scotland maybe they celebrated more. He enjoyed a glass of wine watching it on tv. Last year it was with Melinda, they were both divorced, something stopped him from making things permanent.

Oh, she was devious Melinda, each time he had said he would not be a push over every new year while he was with Melinda, he had been too soft. After Katie died hit by a drunken driver weeks before the wedding. After that he had moved ending up with an holly jolly neighbour new years eve.

Who often came down to his flat to chat. "Can I borrow the car? Just nip to the shops. An hour later a dent in his new Skoda , "Oh I am so, so, sorry can you say you where driving?" I will make it up to you what about lunch my treat. Melinda would then show her pert figure and flick her blond locks the way he liked.

Over a decade it would always be something? Never to Benjamins advantage. Other men who saw through her. He had been weak and stupid. Holidays where if only she had showed gratitude and bought him a camera or a small gift? It was always me , me, me, After a time it had got boring time consuming like an addiction. Every New year, you say you will kick, older wiser perhaps, he must move on. Oh, she had begged over the years to move in. Used her culinary skills amongst other things. It really had to stop.

Hiding in her shadow, he was like a plant that needed water. She thought he was staying with boring Gary for the weekend to go fishing. Well, he had a new pad lined up the estate agent had the keys to his old flat. Melinda would not know , until the new neighbours key clicked in the lock. Got it a private sale.

Cruel, if he saw her his knees woud go weak, he would break another New year resulation. Anger rose in is throat he must not mess this up? Think golf at leasure? No disturbance or texts from Melinda about a dress she's seen. No more Mr nice guy paying her bills, becouse nail extenctions are more important. A shiver ran down Benjamin's spine. Who's fool was he, still thinking about her.

Everyone had warned him, moraged to the hilt, until his mothers inheritance had hit his bank account. Now goodbye Melinda. He hoped that she did nor pester the estate agent. Surely he would not risk losing the sale on both properties. Crossing his fingers he got into his Scoda estate whistling , now he could plan a postive future. New area a hundered miles away. Who knows who he could meet up with? Gym, golf , sauna, talking with intelligent company. He could not wait to take charge of his life.

Fool, no more would he be? How on earth had he got involved with Melinda in the first place? Talk about taking someone for granted. Formica built in units all he needed in the new fifty plus apartment was a tv and three piece suite. His new year could not be better?

Opening his suitcase, Melinda's face looked up at him from a photo frame. Blimey, she had slipped a photo into his luggage? He just hoped thats all it was a photo. That she had slipped into his case a week ago. This was the stuff that night mares were made of. Would he send the photo back? Or keep it as a dart board.

If Melinda contacted boring Gary, about the fishing trip, he would tell her where to go in not so many words. Benjemin should have taken things in hand years ago. What was the expression man up. Well at last

he had seen the light?

A happy New Year, no more love on the rocks or skating on very thin ice. His life now belonged to him. Opening his bedroom window he could feel fresh air drifting in views of the golf course. Heated saunas, here he comes? Yep, he would invite the neighbours round for a drink and get to know you session. They would discuss how they spent new year? Babies born new year, customs, life in general without having to look over ones shoulder for the dreaded knock of the door.

Benjamin was sure that once Melinda got over the shock of him moving on, with his life? It would not be long before she would be looking out for a replacement. Maybe she would link up with Roxanne her useless daughter. Who would look after the goldfish. If they went away. With a box of marshmellows in her lap. That was another thing he would not miss the daughter and the fish swishing around their tank. Always washing up to do when one returned. Plus the fish tank water to be changed "yuk."

Lets hope Benjamin would not have nightmares. About those two knocking his door at the stroke of midnight. Think nice neighbours, no excess baggage. Money in the bank, life really would be worth living. Like walking on air, so roll on 2024. He certainly would?

December 29, 2023 23:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.