0 comments

American Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

To Push The Button Or Not!

         As a child, Larry had many toys, but the ones he liked the best were ones where he could push buttons. Larry eventually became a radio engineer. After many years as an engineer, Larry pushed many buttons. There were buttons to start his car, towers, turntables, a microphone, and even the toilet! Buttons also kept his shirts closed and his pants up.

         People have buttons, too; however, they are not physical; they trigger our feelings. When you push someone's control, you are upsetting them. Larry always knew how she would react when he argued with her about a rule Susie had learned to follow years ago. She told him she would not let him get on her nerves anymore. Susie's dad would ask her how much gas she had in the car when the weather got cold. The rule was to keep it filled to the top. He was a GM service manager, so he was very strict about this. Larry would always look at the gas gauge and say, 'we can still keep going before we need to fill.' This remark always led to an argument between them.

         Susie looked back on her days in Catholic school. The nuns would berate her fellow students. Seeing a fellow student denied permission to use the restroom and the embarrassment that followed was brutal. Her fellow students were always getting tongue-lashed.

         Marilyn and Susie became friends in our junior year. They were standing on the sidewalk comparing their class rings, Marilyn did not like Susie's, and Susie did not like Marilyn's. Our brainwaves must have been on the same wavelength, and They had a friendship until Marilyn passed away.

         When Marilyn was upset, she would exclaim doggone it. She always used the phrase to avoid swearing, a bad habit.

         Susie's funniest memory of Marilyn was in gym class. We played dodgeball, and it would hurt if she nailed you! I was always the first one to sit down, as I let her hit me intentionally. I then had the fun of sitting and watching the others get hit!

         On Susie's first class reunion, they walked in with her best friend, Marilyn. When Marilyn entered, everyone yelled, "duck, here comes Marilyn." They were trying to rattle her cage with memories of her aggressive dodgeball style. Susie played it smart and let her hit her first, so she could sit and watch the others get hit.

         When someone had the nerve to piss her off, Susie would grab them by the shirt collar and put them up against a locker. Very few people made the mistake of provoking her. When her younger sister would pester her, Realizing that she was trying to push her buttons, Susie would not let her upset her.

         On a warm Saturday, Susie and Marilyn were at Susie's apartment having a few beers. It was Friday the thirteenth, but neither believed in the bad luck day. While Marilyn was sitting in Susie's new chair, she tipped over, breaking the chair. After a hearty laugh, they came up with the saying, 'Friday the 13th is nothing but a bunch of shit.

         To top off the evening, they trekked up to the Legion club. When they arrived, they cut across the grass. Upon entering, the bartender admonished them for walking the grass, as he had just planted it. After they had finished their drinks, they walked out to the grass, and Marilyn stomped on it. Susie laughed uncontrollably and called Marilyn, you old sod stomper you.

         Susie knew that some people were button-pushers so that they could upset people. However, some people do so accidentally. However, there is a to tell someone to be quiet, and the expressions are considered rude. The phrases used are: button your mouth, button your lip, or say button it.

         The button to be pushed is the so-called "Red Button,' every President has an officer that follows him around with the "nuclear football," which is a briefcase that can start a nuclear war plan called" dropkick," this plan does not involve a button. Still, the President has personal nuclear codes that he always carries on him.

         The US warplane Enola Gay dropped two bombs. The first one was in Hiroshima, and the second was in Nagasaki. More than 140,000 people died, and atomic despumated om the air caused the blast to have a more considerable geographical impact. The "Fat Man" was a plutonium bomb dropped on Nagasaki, and the "Little Boy" fell on Hiroshima.

         Back then, first responders couldn't help, and the same would apply today. In Hiroshima, 42 out of 45 hospitals were rendered non-functional, and 90% of physicians and nurses were killed or injured.

         The first nuclear attack started without President Truman knowing about it. The military told him that they could have another bomb ready shortly. Truman immediately took control of the situation. He declared that more bombs needed presidential approval. He also curtailed the military's access to the bombs. Dwight D. Eisenhower started expanding the military's access to nuclear weapons. However, President Kennedy reduced the military's access to these weapons after the Cuban Missile Crisis. Eventually, a protocol for launching nuclear weapons assumed the President had sole authority to establish them.

         With all of the problems in the world today, the chances are good that the current President will have to push the 'Red Button.' The fear of Russia using threats against the Ukraine of going nuclear, the 'Red Button' might be pressed, leading to an 'Armageddon.' The USA is a significant nuclear power with the largest military in the world.

         Five members of the UN Security Council officially have nuclear weapons; UK, Russia, US, China, and France. However, four nuclear countries are not recognized as Nuclear Weapons States; they are India, Pakistan, North Korea, and Israel. Iran, Japan, and Germany also have done nuclear testing, although not for weapons use.

         The most important takeaway from all this is that of all the buttons to push, the "Red Button" is the one that will cause the most damage.

References

Directive established-翻译为俄语-例句英语| Reverso Context. https://context.reverso.net/%E7%BF%BB%E8%AF%91/%E8%8B%B1%E8%AF%AD-%E4%BF%84%E8%AF%AD/Directive+established

February 10, 2023 22:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.