4 comments

Drama Black

I was born into a family where I was the only child who had survived. I was definitely the apple of everyone’s eyes in my whole community. Everyone looked after me and my well-being was paramount to everyone’s happiness. Many people liked me a lot because they said I looked like my mom who had passed on a few years ago while trying to bare another child. Sadly, she had passed away alongside my baby brother who had just been birthed to the world. 

Due to my keen resemblance to my mother, my father ensured that I was well looked after and he really wanted me to gain quality education unlike so many other girls in the village who were not even literate. 

As I grew older, I began to become more aware of my beauty and I became a lot more conscious of the young lady I was becoming. My father was really proud of who I was becoming more so I had excelled on a state level in various academic competitions such as spelling bees. This made me the talk of the town and I had started gaining more popularity than I could ever have imagined. 

At that point in time, I  had just caught the eye of the Chief’s son who had just recently arrived from his postgraduate studies at a prestigious university abroad. 

Due to his striking and imposing looks, he had become every girl’s dream boy in the community. He was every girls Prince Charming and him being the Chief’s only son made him a more eligible bachelor. As the days went by and I prepared for my final examinations at my secondary school which was a kilometer away by car rumors began to fly around town about my marriage arrangement between the Chief’s son and I. To be honest, I was swept off my feet because I felt really lucky to be the Chief’s son chosen wife. So I went ahead to ask my father about all what I had heard. Upon asking my father about the rumors which I had heard my father bursted out in anger as it was never his dream for his daughter to get married before completing her university education. This was what I had expected to hear from my father although I had started falling for the most eligible bachelor in our community whose name was Tobi.

As I turned my back to head back to my room, my father called out to me and asked if I was interested in the marriage proposal because I did not want to hurt his feelings I decided to lie to my father by telling him I had no interest in this boy. That was really tough for me to say but I ended up saying it. As the days went by, my final exams drew closer and I prepared for the examinations with all determination to ensure that I gained a full scholarship into one of the nation’s best universities. This was one of my father’s life long dreams and I wanted it to become a reality. 

Although, my mind had begin to wander on how life will be if I get married to the Chief’s son. I managed to complete my final school examinations. While I sat for the last paper I breathed a sigh of relief because I knew I would have a lot of stress of my shoulders. I then began to hope if I had done well enough to secure a full scholarship into the school my father had wished for me to go to. After completing the examinations I knew I would have to wait a few weeks to her the results of my examinations. I also knew the weeks which will follow would determine a lot in my life. 

As I headed back home after my examinations I was stopped by a convoy of cars and I was breath taken by who was present in the car. It was none other that Tobi himself, the man of the moment. He offered to give me a ride back home and I could not say no because I felt so fortunate to have such an opportunity. 

As we arrived at the gates which led to my fathers compound we were welcomed by a great number of people who had wanted to see what the chiefs don looks like and this made me nervous because I knew my father would get to know that I got so close to the guy. So I quickly hurried out of his car and ran into my room locking the doors behind me. When my father had arrived later in the evening he was livid and I knew nothing could spare me from facing his wrath. As he called out for me I ran out to him and as o got there he raised his hand to slap me but before he could someone had stopped him. I was shaking out of fear because I knew nobody would gain such confidence overnight to stop my father from doing what he wants to do. As I raised up my head in fear my eyes met with the eyes of the guy from the convoy, Tobi the sim of the Chief. I knew this was trouble what was he looking for in my compound at this time of the day. I felt like the earth should swallow me up at once. Before I could say a word my father got me raked over the coals and sent me back into my bedroom. I had no choice but to do as I was told but I really wanted to know why he had come. So I managed to stay back by hiding behind some buildings blocks which were placed near where my father was talking with the lad. I eavesdropped and to my amazement, I heard the young lad tell my dad how much interest he had in me and how he wished I become his wife. My father was furious as those words came through Tobi’s lips and I knew my father was not one person who could manage his anger well so I intervened by telling the Chief’s son to go and come back another time. In order to calm my father down, I prepared his favorite meal for him and he headed back to his room to have his night rest. 

As I woke up the next morning, I wondered why my father had not picked out my outfit for the day like he usual does. This seemed so strange to me, so I went to his room. Only for me to find him lying lifeless on his head. I was left without words why would I be left without both parents and without anyone to call mine anymore. 

In accordance to our customs and traditions it was a must that the dead be buried on the same day that they had passed. So burial arrangements were made immediately by the elders of our community. While grieving, I was approached by the Chief’s son and this time he came with a clear motive he wanted my hand in marriage. This came as a huge shock to me, and I did not even know what to say. I then began to wonder why I had been placed in such a tight position. Why was life treating me in such in an unfair manner. The realities of life had began to dawn on me and I really need my fathers support but he was not there anymore. So I knew I had to grow up and be able to make my decisions. This became really difficult for me as I had always been very indecisive and I did not have the faintest idea of what to do with my life. The only thing I was looking forward to was the day my results were meant to be released. I literally had my calendar beside me on every occasion and was becoming impatient.

Finally the day had arrived and my hopes were really high. This was the day that was meant to determine my fate and I was in great need of that scholarship. As I arrived at the results Centre many people had arrived and so many people had already received theirs. Some people were disappointed while some others were overjoyed. I became very nervous and wondered where these results would lead me to. If I would become a bride or a university undergraduate, I really could not tell. I just hoped of the best. As I went forward to receive mine, my hands began to tremble and I could feel my father was there with me. I really did not want to disappoint him so I asked that someone else read my grades out to me. As the person spoke I could feel my life crumble into many pieces. I had not met the cutoff mark to receive a full scholarship. This was one of the most disappointing news I had received in my lifetime and at that point I knew where my life was headed. As I headed out of the results Centre I was welcomed by a parade of band men who were with a whole set of musical instruments including drums and trumpets. I was a bit thrown aback by the pump and paparazzi that I had witnessed.  I assumed it must have been for another examination candidate who had excelled in his or her examinations but to my amazement I found the Chief’s son right in the midst of the crowd. I wondered what he could have been doing at the results Centre but I did not want to walk up to him to talk to him. As I wangled my way out of the crowd, I could feel someone pulling my hands and as I looked back it turned out to be the Chief’s son. As I set my eyes on him I found one knee of his to be on the floor while in his hand laid a sparkly diamond ring. I was puzzled, I was wondering if he was asking me to be his wife. I could not believe my eyes. A few seconds later, the question popped out of his mouth. I was in shock. I actually wondered if it could be true. Before I could say a word he slipped the ring into my finger and I felt the urge to say yes. It seemed so strange to be getting engaged. More so, I still had my whole life ahead of me. Could this be true? As several thoughts went through my mind many people were around us wishing us well. It seemed like a dream. 

This dream continued for a very long time till I landed myself in the house of the Chief as his daughter-in-law and the mother of five children all within the period of 9 years. 

As I sat down on the sofa which was at the penthouse’s patio tears began to drop from my eyes. I wondered where my dreams of being in a well-learned woman had gone to. I had ended up like every other woman in our community who lacked education. I had just become a wife and a mother who knew nothing apart from her husband and children. I began to feel so bad, it seemed like a veil had been lifted off my eyes. It dawned on me that my poor father would have been turning in his grave as I had let him down in all ramifications. In pain and agony, I walked up to my husband and told him I wanted my life back. I wanted to get a full education. He was shocked, I had never summoned up that much courage to faced him head on. I then began to yell because I wanted my point to be extremely clear. I made it known to him that I would be visiting the university in our state to seek for admission. After yelling, he made it very clear to me that it would not be possible for me to gain a university education as I would be breaking the rules of the family. I became even more indignant and stormed out of the house. 

This time I was determined on gaining a degree because I wanted to create a footpath which other girls could ply to become successful one day. I did not want my two daughters to be hindered in any form from becoming who they want to be. As I arrived at the admissions office of the university a few hours later. I was pleased to meet with my teacher from my high school. He was elated to see me, we exchanged pleasantries and I began to tell him my current situation. As we were about concluding our conversations he informed me that I was selected as one of the scholarship recipients nine years ago. I found it so hard to believe what I had heard. He explained to me the necessary steps I would have to take to receive the scholarship as the duration of the scholarship was set to expire in a few months. I then began to work towards gaining admission to the university and I frequently visited the NGO who gave out the scholarships. 

A few weeks later, I was granted an unconditional offer to begin my undergraduate studies and it did seem like a dream come true. I knew my father would have been more than proud of me if he was here. I then realized it is better late than never to make your dreams come through. 

December 23, 2021 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Brenda Daniels
08:19 Dec 31, 2021

I loved how you included feminism and education into this story. It was so well ended with the punch line 'better late than never'. Well done.

Reply

Vera Oluwafemi
20:45 Mar 11, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
02:21 Jan 01, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Vera Oluwafemi
20:44 Mar 11, 2022

Thank you. I'm trying my best to be more consistent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.