0 comments

Fiction Holiday Contemporary

AT HOME

It was Monday. I remember the day and the time precisely because that day led to a series of events I would never forget. 

I woke up at about 7.a.m that day, but while my eyes were wide open surfing the net, and my mind was thinking about the novel I couldn’t wait to complete, my body was refusing to begin the day.

Laying on the bed by the side of my husband who was still in dreamland, I was excited about the break I was going to have in the week. School was over. That meant work was on hold for a while as well.

It was just a week break, but I was not going to let the brevity of the holiday spoil the holiday itself.

There were several things I had in mind to do. Things between a man and his wife to start with, that I have been putting on hold because my husband and I have been too tired these last few weeks to get to work. To be honest, I was the one with the most excuses. 

My responsibilities at my place of work are so demanding. Some days I am on the verge of quitting. But who walks out of a good-paying job just like that? Definitely not me!

I appreciate the pay but I can’t help but complain a little. So there I was convincing my body to get up, but deep down I asked myself why? 

As I stated earlier, there was no work this week. I was going to rest!!! And then satisfy my lovely husband. My groceries had been taken care of. I didn’t plan to go anywhere. Except of course my husband, out of the satisfaction I would give him, decided to take me shopping. 

He doesn’t usually like to ruin the surprise, so I was certain he would get the stuff for me instead. He’s that good.  

… Back to my story

Around 10.a.m that day, I saw a missed call from my boss. By then I had already gotten up from the bed, had an early shower and was trying to figure out what to have for breakfast as I sipped my sugary Lipton tea. 

There was an electric supply that morning, so the television was on. Ron was not up yet and I knew why. He had slept in the a.m. and on days like that, he loved to sleep for hours unending. Sometimes it made me wonder if he lived another life in the dream world. 

On seeing my boss’ missed call, I returned the call immediately. I guess you are already thinking what a fool I was right? Before you chop my head off, I have a question; ‘can’t your boss just call to say hello?’

I work for a lady that is 62years old. She is very nice and respectable. She also has a commendable work ethic, although I don’t agree with all her methods. We have a good working synergy and she pays well too. In terms of merit and timeliness, she rewards her staff very well. So why shouldn’t I pick the call of such a sensible woman? For me, picking her call on a holiday, like other holidays, was not meant to be a problem. 

In the end though, it became a problem and therein lies the other half of my story…

 My work in the office was done. I was certain of it. My other responsibilities had been covered too. Once again I must state this; I was certain of it. Who would want to deliberately ruin their holiday? Certainly not me. Yet, that call did it for me completely. 

*******

IN SCHOOL

My pupils stare at me with eager eyes. They have just resumed and there’s excitement amongst them. I can’t blame them if they cannot detect my frustration. It would take more than the usual pleasantries to understand that all is not well with me as I smile back at them.

The one-week holiday is over. I am back to work fully, and I did little to nothing that I planned for the break. I was so angry, I could use my fist to break the plastic desk in front of the class right now. That is how mad I am.

That Monday, the one that was to begin my one-week holiday, I returned my boss’ call only to hear her tell me that there was never any holiday meant for me. 

She said that I still had to show up at work for about 4hours every day. It didn’t make sense to me.

Who waits till the beginning of a good thing to spoil the good experience? I still imagine that if it were in the middle of the break, I may not have been as upset as I was now. 

What if she had mentioned it before me and my colleagues began rejoicing about the holiday? Wouldn't it have been better?

I would have never anticipated a restful, lazy week planned to regain my strength, make up for lost time with my husband, and think of how to handle my next level of work in the office if I knew it was never going to be.

Well, the entire experience made me hate my job all over again.

My boss gave me the impression that I shouldn’t have had the thought of a holiday in the first place like the other employees because of the nature of my job.

The truth is; I didn’t sign up for that. I applied for one thing, and I was given another thing. Now I was made to feel like I should be grateful for the addition that leaves me so drained sometimes I can’t even think. 

My husband tried to help me diffuse the anger. He still went shopping on my behalf, getting me some beautiful pieces of jewellery and novels, but I was mad inside, jewelries and novels do little to calm that kind of anger.

I was so mad that I cried as I got to the empty office the entire week, waiting for parents to come to pay their wards school fees. 

My boss’ son saw me on one of those days, and I didn’t know when I broke into tears. He tried to talk with my boss but it led to more disaster. 

The next day my boss without mentioning the conversation she had with her son, asked me not-so-kindly, ‘if I felt she was giving me too much work'? Can you imagine that?

The answer got stuck in my throat. She walked out of the office, not waiting for me to respond.

My boss never saw anything wrong with her unannounced interruption of my holiday, and I didn’t see the point in telling her about my frustration with my job responsibilities. 

I am an administrative assistant who is also a full-time teacher. I signed up for the administrative assistant part, not the teaching. 

An administrative assistant may not be entitled to a normal school holiday, but for one who is still a full-time teacher like the other teachers who went on the one-week holiday, I think she deserved one. Yet, I insist I work for a nice boss. Such is life!

July 28, 2021 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.