CAMRYN AND WAVERLY: FROM LOVE TO HATE BACK TO LOVE

Submitted into Contest #222 in response to: Write about a character who has a love/hate relationship with their mentor.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

How can someone be this annoying? I lover Waverly. I honestly lover her but she is driving me crazy. No Camryn you are doing it wrong, that's not how you do it. Let me show you how to do it. One of these days I'm going to do something I'm going to regret.

Waverly has been teaching me about magic since the day I found out I was a witch. I was about twelve when I began my training. It was fun in the beginning. Waverly was a good teacher. She still is a good teacher. We always had fun together. But as I got older Waverly began to change. Her teaching methods became more strict.

I wasn't aloud to use magic in public. I couldn't practice magic alone. I couldn't use my powers unless I got Waverly's permission. It was like a switch was turned on in Waverly. She became a totally different person in the span of six years. Do you know what's worse then Waverly's changed attitude. It's the secrets she's keeping.

From time to time I see Waverly sneaking off talking to people I never met. Then I see her talking with my mother. I asked Waverly about her conversations with my mother. She always blows me off. Waverly would then tell me it's time to get back to training. Like a dutiful student I would listen.

I've come to learn in the magical community Waverly is considered the most powerful and skillful witch. She knows everything about magic and for that I'm grateful she has took the time to teach me about magic and the importance of being a witch.

I wish she would take off the leash and let me practice on my own. I know I can do it on my own. I just need Waverly to have confidence and trust in me.

Right now, I'm doing what I always do after school reading about the Elder Witches. This is so boring. As my mother always says "Camryn, reading about who you are and where you come from will one day be a blessing." I have no clue what she means. This is the first time I'm reading about the Elder Witches.

I continue reading until Waverly enters my study. "I know you hate sitting in one place reading and doing nothing else but I promise you we will do more soon." I nod and continue reading. How is that going to happen?

The history of the Elder Witches dates back to the time of the Salem witch trails. Wow, I can't the Elder Witches go all the way back to the Salem witch trails. It is written that the Elder Witches are good witches practicing white magic but there was among them that dared to practice black magic which was forbidden. It was this person, this witch that put the entire coven at risk of arrest and death.

When the arrest began of suspected witches the high priestess of the coven saw this not as a death sentence but as a blessing to finally rid themselves and the coven of the dangerous witch. With the consent from the rest of the coven the high priestess turned in the dangerous witch.

She was condemned to burn at the stake. Before she was burned, the witch placed a curse on the Elder Witches. She vowed to come after each generation of first born Elder Witches until there would be no more.

This is strange. The history of the Elder Witches ends after the witch is burned. I'm so confused. Why am I reading this? What does this have to do with me? "I'm done reading." I yell.

Waverly enters my study "What did you learn?" She asks me.

"Well, Elder Witches are good witches, practiced white magic. Bad witch practiced black magic. Good witches turned in bad witch. Bad witched got burned. Bad witch placed a curse on good witches, vows to come after first born good witches. The end. Oh yea, this happened during the time of the Salem witch trails. No more history about the Elder Witches."

I get up and leave. I need sometime alone. "Camryn, wait." I stop and turn to face Waverly. "Talk to me. What's going on?"

"I want to learn more about magic and being a witch. All I'm doing is reading. Where do we come from?" I turn around and leave.

I want to know how to better control my powers. I know how to move objects with my mind. I know how to stop objects but there are times when I have control trouble. Spelling casting is another hard thing for me to do. When I attempt to cast spells, I always say the wrong words and bad things happen. Making potions, forget about it. I never have any clue what I'm doing. This is the reason why I need Waverly to teach me.

This is so cool. I'm using my mind powers to pick up my phone. It's right in front of me. Concentrate Camryn. Don't let it fall, focus. "What are you doing?" My phone drops to the ground.

"Camryn, you are not supposed to use your powers unless I tell you so." I angrily get up and face Waverly.

"I'm eighteen Waverly stop treating me like a little kid and stop telling me what to do." I walk pass Waverly, pissed off.

I can't take this anymore. I'm living in a bubble. Waverly sucks the fun out of magic and out of being a witch.

What happened to the fun-loving Waverly I use to know? I'm looking at pictures of me and Waverly during happier times. We use to have so much fun with magic. We used our powers, casted spells and made potions. As time went on Waverly stopped making magic fun. It suddenly becoming a chore.

Waverly changed and so did her attitude. At this point I'd call Waverly a dictator. Don't get me wrong I love Waverly. All I need is for her to trust me and the truth. I need Waverly to realize I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm eighteen. I can use magic safely. I need to tell Waverly my truth.

I go downstairs to find Waverly. I walk through the living room and head to the kitchen. I hear Waverly and my mother talking.

"Kali, we need to tell Camryn the truth. I can't lie to her anymore. I can't tell her not to use her powers. She needs to know about us about where we come from."

"You're right. I'm afraid Waverly. What if she can't handle it?"

"I know she can handle it."

"Okay. Let's tell her."

I enter the kitchen. I look at Waverly and my mother. "Tell me what?" Waverly approaches me.

"There is a reason why the history of the Elder Witches ends after the witch is burned at the stake. The reason is because of the curse she placed on the Elder Witches which came true."

Okay that explains a lot. What does this have to do with me? "There's more Cam." I nod. Waverly continues.

"At the time the witch was burned, the high priestess of the coven was pregnant. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. In the months that followed the baby girl got so sick there wasn't enough magic to cure her. She passed away. As you can imagine the high priestess was so grief stricken that she made a promise to shield all Elder magic and the first born of each generation. But a prophecy foretold the arrival of a witch, a strong and powerful witch that would end the curse. We are descendants of the Elder Witches and you are the prophecy."

I look dumbfounded at Waverly. Of all the things she could have told me, I was not expecting this. I am a prophecy. This is crazy.

"Wow, I did not expect this. What do we do know?" I ask Waverly.

"We do what I should have done in the first place. Training you to be the powerful witch that you are and training you to end the curse." I nod.

I'm excited to start my training yet scared of what the future holds. I give my mother a hug. She tells me to be strong and to listen to Waverly.

In the months since Waverly told me the truth our relationship began to heal. We talk more, listen to each other more but there are times when we both are too stubborn to listen to each other. My magic is getting better. I am able to control my powers more better now. I'm getting better at casting spells and making potions.

Waverly has become the teacher I knew she could be. I love learning new things about being a witch. I'm learning a lot more about the Elder Witches and the curse.

I'm scared about being a prophecy but with Waverly by my side I know I can do anything.

November 02, 2023 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.