Hosting Special Guests to Refresh Relax With Nature

Written in response to: Write a story about a conflict that breaks out over something ordinary (like tea, perhaps).... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

This place was built with several buildings lined up by two rows on both sides of the road accepting new visitors the whole year round. One of the 3 bedroom unit is owned by a couple named Benny and Christy. They are both middle aged and have closed friends they choose to spend with them in their vacation hideaway. The first time they used their unit they hosted a whole family who have two children so their place was filled with joy learning it was the first time of the family to have a nice place to relax leaving the noise and busy lives from the city. They were brought to have a dip at the indoor swimming pool and the next day took a walk around the whole area of the vacation resort following the trail only to see that there were more buildings connected to where they stay and the most wonderful sight was the presence of wild turkeys running away after they saw their group approaching them. The following day they were treated to go down to play at the children's park and here they tried to experienced rock climbing and have their lunch at the restaurant. Their guests Peter and Mary were very excited while feeding Marco their seven year old son saying they like the place to have a change staying in the apartment and the boy said to his Mom he really feels having a time=off from school and the daily routine at home. "This is a fantastic break", he exclaimed. They would stay for four days but they have to go home the third day because Marco was allergic to the chlorine mixed to the water at the swimming pool and big, red hives appeared and itchy feeling worried, they left early, their whole week vacation was cut-off. These incident didn't discouraged Benny and Christy to invite another friend to bring with them to their beautiful vacation place.

They wanted others could feel their days with wonderful moments they have'nt experienced yet. Usually they fill the refrigerator with food to serve their guest and if they brought something with them it is an extra kind of meal that would add to the food that they have.

prepared already. The most delicious food they would serve is the usual food fare from their home cointry composed of mixed vegetables uncommon to the vegetables bought in Canadian grocery stores but from Chinese stores wherein they would travel to the city to obtain them. Egg rolls and noodles, fried chicken and the favorite recipe was the pig roast or lechon, chicken adobo and rice noodles. The new family with two boys Cirilo and Sita, were also enjoying the athmosphere feeling the warmth of the holiday Christmas season. There were ski slopes but skiing for them is a hurdle not growing up in Canada so they just watch those who are having fun on ski rides. They decided to go back to their unit to change clothes for swimming. After swimming they dried themselves inside the Spa Room then went upstairs after that to have some exercise.at the entertainment area ,and playroom. They were able to finish their whole week stay with parting words inviting them to go back again sometime. A few months passed Benny received a call from Cirilo who was crying over the phone. Benny gave it to Christy and they learned Sita died of cancer and the last words that she said according to Cirilo was that she was thankful that she was able to go for vacation before she died. Benny and Christy were dumbfounded to learn the impact of what they were doing bringing friends for vacation because they knew how hard it is to make preparations ofsuch a vacation and it was really easy to pack and go with friends. Benny and Christy haven.t heard from Peter and Mary what happened to their son Marco thinking he must have been fine. At this point Benny was volunteering at the Nursing home where Jane was working so they thought to invite her family for vacation. The day they brought them in they gave Benny a a gift card to show their gratitude and told them to leave the key at the front desk after checking out. Benny was thankful to Jane with his volunteering, singing for the seniors besides he was paid. The people at the seniors home are anxious to see him, watched him, listened to the beautiful and sweet songs, to the tunes of the famous and popular singing voices of Frank Sinatra, Lionel Richie, Engelbert Humperdinck and Tom Jones. After his performance they served tea and coffee and really the best time for the seniors feeling relaxed and the breaking of their loneliness being alone inside their units. Memories left to Benny after he was diagnosed with COPD and his voice was lost. He can no longer sing at the Nursing home. All these occasions of hosting friends are really memorable at their vacation place and the nursing home. This time they had a couple who brought all their amenities from food to personal necessities having their health issues. They gave them a special remark saying it was a manna from heaven, knowing how much they spend when they go for vacation ,they stayed for the whole week with Benny and Christy. It was strange for Christy why her friend Marillou did not leave her jar of coffee when she knew Christy don't have anymore while they served them all what they can and what they have. How many times did they invited them to make a return visit but the feeling of that coffee she didn't leave was stamped to her hurt feeling and she don't know why. This other lady, who came many times as the guest of Benny and Christy with a little bit of food but Christy knew she was flattering her but she liked the way she was and who she was so she didn't mind. She was like the one whom she could run to even if she doesn't give back what she expected from her. expectations that she can't describe if it is material or immaterial. Christy offered the whole place to Nancy and learned few of her friends stayed with her too. She didn't offer any money at all to Christy for their whole week stay and when she asked the face mask that she mentioned it took a long time for her to wait. When it arrived it may not be a half box, how would you say about that? What is the cost of hosting and what is the value of friendship?

January 09, 2022 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.