9 comments

Historical Fiction Romance Drama

***Based on true events***


WESTERN UNION

NOVEMBER 1940

SECWAR BY WAY OF ADMIN LT/C JD WALKER

WASHINGTON, D.C.


OUR NEW IN AIR RADAR TECHNOLOGY WILL ALLOW US TO FIGHT THE GERMANS IN THE DARK PERIOD  


GERMANS ARE DESPERATE FOR THIS INFORMATION SO WE MUST DEFLECT THEIR ATTENTION  PERIOD 


WE HAVE COME UP WITH TWO EXPLANATIONS FOR THE SUCCESSFUL RETALIATION AGAINST GERMAN NIGHT STRIKES   PERIOD  


ONE POTENTIAL IDEA IS THAT AN INCREASED CONSUMPTION OF CARROTS HAS IMPROVED THE NIGHT EYESIGHT OF BRITISH AND AMERICAN PILOTS PERIOD 


THE SECOND IDEA IS THAT A SPECIAL RIVER RUNS THROUGH ENGLANDS NORTHERN ISLES AND HAS IMPROVED THE VITALITY OF BRITISH AND US PILOTS  PERIOD  


PLEASE RESPOND WITH WHICH EXPLANATION YOU WISH THE PROPAGANDA OFFICES TO RUN WITH  PERIOD 


POSTERS ARE BEING PRINTED AS WE SPEAK AND WILL BE SHIPPED OUT WHEN YOU REPLY  PERIOD 


LT/C JC CHRISTIANSEN 

ADMINISTRATION 

MINISTRY OF INFORMATION




———————————————



WESTERN UNION


DECEMBER 1940 

RAF SQUAD LEADER JOHN CUNNINGHAM

STATION: EUROPE/UNDISCLOSED


THANK YOU FOR YOUR CAT EYES IN THE NIGHT SKY PERIOD 


SECRETARY OF WAR LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPORT ON HOW THE CARROT REGIMEN ARE PERFORMING AGAINST GERMAN AIR ASSAULTS  PERIOD


LT/C JD WALKER

SECWAR ADMIN






____________________






Dear Roy, 


Who are you fighting? Germans? Japanese? Mother won’t tell us much, but the radio says we’re taking on both of ‘em. I can’t believe we have been in school together all this time, but never spoke much before you enlisted. I know we were just getting to know each other, but I am glad we’ve decided to write while you’re gone. I will miss the twinkle of mischief in your eyes, though Mother insists that twinkle can only mean trouble. Guess I like trouble. 


I just started taking piano lessons from Charlotte Smith. Do you remember her from secondary school? She’s very loud. Father bought me a beautiful spinet, but says I must pay for it myself. (What a weird thought!) I do hope you are safe. Mother says we’re going to plant another row in the victory garden. Carrots, this time. PLEASE send me a picture of yourself, right now. 


Sincerely,

Nancy 

PS- Do they have any jewelry over there? Send some. Thanks. 





My dearest Nancy,


To your 1st question, can’t say, but the radio should say soon. I hope this war gets over with. The boys and I would have it nipped in six months, if it weren’t for the Big Money man. Hope to see some action before it’s over. Missing you. I am glad we’re writing too. Just our few times together have been some of my happiest. 


Haven’t seen one of those fancy photographers in a month, but I will try and get a picture when I can. Play some beautiful music for me, Nance. No jewelry stores open now, but if there were, I’d buy you the biggest diamonds a gunner could get. Heard carrots help the eyes and, boy, do these eyes sure miss seeing your lovely face. 


All my affection,

Roy 





Dearest Roy,  

Carrot souffle. Carrot cake. Carrot pudding. I’m getting really tired of carrots around here. Mother insists we must grow them. Carrot cake is actually good, though. I saw a poster in town that said carrots would help us see in the blackouts. I hope so.


They say our pilots are still bringing them down. Must be some divine favor from the Lord, ‘cause how else you gonna shoot down Nazis in the dark? 


Last week, the Germans bombed at night, and we lost sweet Georgie, from down the street. His mama still can’t get out of bed. Give ‘em heck, Roy. For Georgie. 


All my affection,

Nancy


PS- I’d say the other word, but mother will read this before it posts.

Hello, mother. Hope you’re well. 






My sweet Nancy,


Poor Georgie. He was a sweet boy. We lost a few of our men this past week. One of them was also named George. He was from one town over, don’t know if you know the Mason family? It’s getting rough around here, Nance. I live for your letters. Tell me more of what’s going on back home. 


The boys are losing hope, and maybe I am too. We managed to take the next mile, but what a terrible price to pay for a patch of dirt. I don’t know if hell is something you can give, but it sure is something we’re living in now. Humanity was so impatient for eternity, we just went ahead and created hell on earth. 

I find hope in remembering your sweet smile and your beautiful curls. Your heart shines true, above it all. Dreaming of home, Nance. Dreaming of you.


All my love,

Roy








Dearest Roy,


Mother says I should stop writing letters, but I won’t. She says it will only break my heart, but my heart was already broken when I watched that train take you away. I’ll write to you every week, til you come home. She says that any letter, or even a diary, could end up in the hands of the enemy. The posters in town say it, so I guess it’s gotta be true. 


Well, I say that the Germans can kill us, but the written word will go on. Ideas will go on, whether we die from a Blitzkrieg or whether we’re blessed enough, by the good Lord above, to live until old age takes us. I hope we can grow old together, Roy, jewelry or no. (I prefer jewelry, if I must say so.)


I’m keeping up with my piano lessons, and I’m learning all the classics. My teacher is loud, it’s true, but the lessons are a nice distraction from the bleakness of the radio programs at night. No matter what the radio says, I know you’re coming home. 


ALL my LOVE,

Nance 









Nancy, my sweet angel,


Please never stop writing. I swear I’ll eat a million carrots, ‘til I can see clear across the miles between us, just to get to look at your beautiful face again. You haven’t gone and married some conchie on the sly, have ya? I’d be surely annoyed if you did that and didn’t tell me. I want to write you romantic letters like they do in the books, but I don’t know if I’m as slick as some of Jane Austen’s men. 


The news I can give you is limited, as usual, but I can say yes, we’re knocking them out of the sky. Even at night. I load them boys’ planes up with everything they need, and they fly through the air like the Lord’s messengers, bringing His righteous judgment right to their front windshield. It still feels like hell, though, can’t lie. 


I look forward to trying your carrot souffle when I get home, Nan. I’m determined to come home. Telling the boys stories, just to keep their minds busy while we wait. If you got any good stories let me know. 


I love you. That’s all I can give you for now, but it’s all I have and it’s all yours. 

All my love,

Roy 


PS – I found this parachute and have included it, with this letter. I don’t know that it’s the brightest white you’ve ever seen, but this silk can be made into a dress. 









Dearest Roy,


Your last letter and the silk parachute were a better gift than any gift I’d ever received. I pray for you night and day. Pray that this war will end. Pray that you’ll come home. Pray that I’ll see you getting off that train. So handsome and striking in your uniform. Better than any of Austen’s men, because you’re real. Because you’re mine.


I would never marry a conchie. They’ve all the right in the world, I suppose, to object to the war. But I suppose I also have the right to object to marrying any of them. Not that anyone has asked.


And I certainly would never do anything on the sly. Momma says whatever you put in the dark, the Lord brings out into the light, whether you want Him to or not. I’m glad He’s bringing some light in the darkness where you are, even if it’s just the bright eyes of the pilots in the sky. 


You tell those boys the greatest love story there’s ever been. Roy and Nancy. Star crossed lovers from a rural town, who were just starting to notice each other when a war ripped them apart. Tell them about their bravery, both on the warfront and at home. Tell them about how Roy pined for Nancy while he was listening to bombs in a foxhole. Tell them about how Nancy listened to songs on the radio that reminded her of Roy and how one of them will be their first dance at their wedding. 


Tell them the women aren’t wearing stockings anymore, I bet they’ll get a real kick outta that. 


All my love, forever, 

Nancy 








My dearest Roy,


I haven’t heard from you in a couple of weeks. Feels like months to me. What’s a girl to do when she’s waiting on a letter from the love of her life. There. I said it. This war don’t leave time for anybody to mince words. You’re the love of my life, Roy, and I don’t care if my mother reads it before putting it in the post. 


The postman was delayed last week, and I nearly throttled him. He got a few choice words from me, that’s for sure. Mother says it’s not lady-like, but who’s got time for conventions when love is on the line. Please write soon. 


I don’t have much news here at home. Tending the garden. Added another row of carrots, since they’re so popular right now. I have included some new books and some dried jerky the neighbor brought over, it’ll keep no matter the weather, he says. I have also included a new picture of me. You’ll notice I’m wearing a silk dress. That parachute was a God send. And so are you, my darling. Cheer up and don’t worry about me! Please write soon. 


All my love,

Nancy 







Roy,


It’s been months now, with no word from you. I sometimes stand in the train station, watching for the uniforms to come through with bad news, worried they’ll go to your mother’s house. None have come, thankfully. 


If we are to part from here, I pray it is only because you’ve taken up with some other lover, and not that you have abandoned me to this earth alone, my darling. I’m not sure which would devastate me more, but I know I wouldn’t choose either if it were up to me. I would choose for us to be wed under the light of the sun, and to be out of this intrepid, eternal night that is war. Hell on earth, indeed. 


Please write soon. 


All my love, even now,

Nancy










Roy,


Where have you gone, my dearest? I fear the worst. I went to your house and spoke to your mother and father. I saw your sweet grandmother, and visited with your precious younger siblings. What a precious family you have. I pray we'll all be together soon, but I hope to be wearing white, not black.


I'll wait for you,

Nancy









Nancy, my greatest love,


Please forgive me. I was unable to write for a few months while we were on the move. The postman here was also delayed and the boys and I had a good talk with him. He’ll be hasty with footsteps from now on. 


The enemy has surrendered and we’re being processed to go home! I told you we’d win this war, Nance! Never doubted it for a second. I’ll send word as soon as I know more details. It seems so weird to say that we are coming home, but WE ARE COMING HOME. 


These past few months have been excruciating pits of torment without new letters from you. Only your picture, all your past letters, and the grace of the great Lord above have seen me through. 


When I get home, Nance, will you wear that beautiful silk dress and marry me in the chapel in town? I know we’ve only been writing for a year, but I feel like our souls are meant to be together.


Awaiting your reply, with all my love, and my hopes laid bare,

Roy








Dearest Roy,


I will. 


See you at the train station. 


Your future wife,

Nancy 






_________

WESTERN UNION


MARCH 1944

SECWAR BY WAY OF LT/C JD WALKER

WASHINGTON, D.C.



IT IS MY HIGHEST HONOR TO REPORT THE CARROT REGIMEN EFFECTIVE AGAINST ENEMY ASSAULTS PERIOD  


NINETEEN GERMAN AIRCRAFTS TAKEN DOWN AT NIGHT PERIOD



RAF SQ/L J CAT EYES CUNNINGHAM 


August 26, 2023 03:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Wendy M
20:01 Sep 04, 2023

Great story, I never knew about the carrots!. I love using real historical research in stories, too. Well done.

Reply

Anna W
03:24 Sep 07, 2023

Thank you Wendy! I appreciate you reading my story! Totally agree about history. It’s full of so much interesting truth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:23 Aug 28, 2023

Good war story if such a thing. Glad neither of the lovers got taken out. Worried there a little. Clever with the carrots. Thanks for liking my Too-cute Match up And Magic

Reply

Anna W
17:19 Aug 28, 2023

Thank you Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:46 Aug 26, 2023

Ohhhh so nice!!! I needed this. Brilliantly done and written, perfectly captured the period in the language used. Conchie. Never heard that before. Was the carrots story a real thing???? Great stuff!

Reply

Anna W
18:35 Aug 26, 2023

Thanks Derrick! I did a lot of research for this one, though I intentionally blended some details for the sake of the story. "Conchie" was a real slang term for those who "conscientiously objected" to the war, usually for religious reasons, and therefore didn't serve. Yes, the carrots were a real piece of propaganda put out, in order to misdirect the Nazi's, who were also trying to create their own in-air radar detection systems. It's a fascinating piece of history. The Germans did a lot of night raids by air, and British pilots were sud...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:16 Jan 02, 2024

Enjoyable! I like the subtle shift in the young couple, from fairly flighty and superficial to serious and to the point, as the gravity of the situation became clear to them, and things get quite tense when he stops replying. Waiting like that, not knowing, can definitely be a kind of hell. I like the tie in to carrots too. It adds a nice detail to the story. It's a reminder that a war that big is not just about guns and ground, but that propaganda and misdirection also play huge roles. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eddie Hobbs
23:22 Aug 26, 2023

Anna, I’m sure many let’s we’re very much like this. I read about the 🥕 and the Govt gave credence to beliefs that the pilots had better night vision by a heavy diet of carrots. Good story.

Reply

Anna W
23:58 Aug 26, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.