1 comment

Fiction Romance Drama


    Rachel was not excited to vote. She had not missed any elections since she was eighteen and she was not going to miss the presidential election this year. It was important to her. Rachel could not understand anyone who said, ‘I don’t do politics.’ She felt that line was such a cop out and how you could not “do” politics in some way. And by “doing” did not mean running for anything to her it just meant following news and politics regularly and being engaged to make a good voting decision. She was taught by her mother and grandmother that it was your civil duty to vote and a responsibility as big as being a parent.

   She got dressed and drove over to the community center where district nine was to vote. The polls opened early, and she was one of the first in line. She did not want to go after work when the lines would be longer. She parked and walked the gauntlet of volunteers at the voting area. They were yelling and trying to shove their candidates’ flyers in everyone’s face as they tried to get in line and inside. Rachel did not need any information she knew who she was voting for even though she was not excited at all. She knew her vote was the lesser of two evils.

    She had been a Conservative with more liberal views on social issues for most of her life. She had switched parties as a young woman after realizing that the most of her values were in line with Conservatives. This was going to be a big election. The candidates running had already been President. The candidate on the Republican side had lost last election but was giving it, another run and the incumbent for the Democrats was running for a second term.

    Rachel was not a fan of the current President’s policies or in her opinion lack thereof. She felt that the country was taking a very different turn and not for the best. The country that she grew up with seemed to have patriotism and the things that mattered to Rachel seemed to be fading into the sunset as ideas that were no longer current with younger generations. Things had become so politically correct in the world that Rachel felt she could no longer even have conversations with people with differing viewpoints as she had once been able to do even just eight years ago, but the last few presidential elections had divided the country and even divided Rachel’s friend group and family members. It was hard to believe that something like politics could have such an impact but it had and the fact that so many people said they were uninterested in politics or following was so contradictory in her mind.

    She held her nose and voted for the Republican candidate that had been so controversial when in office before. He had good policies for the country in Rachel’s mind, but he had no filter and the country either loved him or hated him. Rachel felt his foreign policy was excellent and that his dealings with other countries kept the US safe and still number one in the eyes of the world. The current President seemed like he lived on another planet to her, and she wondered if he was truly “running” the country. She felt like the R candidate cared about family and affordability for families and that was one of the issues that struck a chord with her.

    The tall blonde handed her a “I voted” sticker as she walked out the door. She stood a little longer than usual to watch her ballot go through the machine. There had been such speculation on machines going haywire and voter fraud. But her ballot went through no problem, and she was 1,333 on the count thread. Strange number she thought as she walked back through the gauntlet of volunteers. Now there was a local reporter flagging people down asking about whom they were voting for and what issues were important to them. “Excuse me ma’am do you think the current political environment is going to be better or worse after this election?” The Blonde reporter said to a woman walking near Rachel.

    Rachel knew what she thought the answer to that reporter should be. A big no! Given the two candidates and that they were the same as last election Rachel feared it could potentially be worse this election.

                                                     ***


    Jack had always been a liberal. He learned a lot about politics from his family. Specifically, his grandfather. Grandpa John had been a local judge and had many stories and advice to share with his family about the law and politics. He had seen a lot of corruption and dirty politics being a judge in a small town. Grandpa John always said he was more liberal even though as a judge you did not affiliate with one party over another, he wanted to help the little guy and that was enough for Jack. Jack felt the same when it came to politics, and he believed in his heart that being a liberal meant caring and helping your fellow mankind. It sounded corny but he believed that is what his legacy was based on.

  Jack decided on voting early the morning of the election. He had a busy day ahead and knew that he would not want to fight traffic after work and stand in long lines. So, he went at seven am as soon as the precinct where he voted opened. He had strong convictions about his vote this time around. He had voted for the Democrat last election and planned on doing the same this election. There was no way in hell that he would ever let that crazy bastard on the Republican ballot back into office and he couldn’t understand why anyone of sound mind could vote for that piece of crap he thought to himself.

    Jack had recently lost his wife that year to cancer and it was so weird driving over to vote because he and Cathy his late wife shared so many fond memories around voting and their shared love of liberal politics. He couldn’t imagine ever being with anyone that didn’t share his same views or at least close to his views. He and Cathy had only disagreed on abortion and Cathy had a more conservative view there. Jack always thought it was because she couldn’t have any children and she really wanted them. Although she thought abortion should be legal, she once had explained she could never have one herself.

    Jack voted quickly and headed to work. He was a contractor for a new construction company. He had a busy day planned out at a new site in town that was going to be a fifty-five and up community. He was looking forward to tonight. He had made plans with an old friend that he hadn’t seen since Cathy passed away. The last year had consisted of getting Cathy to her appointments, working, cleaning, chores, repeat. There was no time for anything else and as a caregiver he had neglected himself and his friendships. He wore his “I voted” sticker proudly onto the construction site.

                                                         ***

    Rachel had a busy caseload at work, and she was looking forward to a night out. Her friend since elementary school had called to see if she wanted to grab a drink and dinner tonight at her favorite local pub. Rachel loved the feel of the pub it was a cozy place to go and meet with friends, but Rachel never felt weird going alone either as she had made some friends there. There were always some locals hanging out and ready to have conversation with her. Since her divorce she was surprisingly okay to go out on her own.

    She pulled right into a spot out front of the Local Pub, which was unusual, parking was tight downtown. The usual table she liked was occupied so she told the hostess she’d grab two seats at the bar. Denise wasn’t there yet so she’d just wait. The bartender greeted her. “What can I get you to drink?” He asked.

    “Ummm, what do you have on special tonight?” Rachel asked.

    “I’ve got a local Hefeweizen and Guinness on special tonight.”

    “I’ll do a Hefeweizen that sounds good.” Rachel smiled.

    She sat and relaxed a minute while looking over the menu. She looked over to her right and there was an attractive guy sitting in the corner seat. He had dark hair and piercing blue eyes. He had on a casual jacket and Yankees ball cap. He smiled at her. She felt a little self-conscious. She had been divorced a year but sometimes she still felt a pang of guilt noticing someone or someone noticing her. She had been married to Jeff for twenty years so new habits were slow, and she had not really dated yet. She had one date a few months ago and she felt so awkward she ended the date before they even got to dinner.

    She looked at her watch and Denise must be running late. Rachel looked at her text messages but nothing. That wasn’t like Denise to be late or at least text her. She would wait a minute and text her.

   The bartender came back, “What are you thinking about for dinner?”

    “I’m not sure. I’m waiting on my friend. What do you recommend? Anything standing out?”

    Barry the bartender said the chicken corn chowder and the fish tacos were good.

    Another twenty minutes went by, and Rachel decided she should reach out to Denise. She texted to check on her. But nothing. She was driving and didn’t see the text. Rachel waited a few more minutes and called Denise but her phone went to voicemail. Rachel was getting a little worried.

    Rachel glanced over at the guy in the Yankee hat, he had a sticker on his jacket that said he had voted that day. Rachel quickly looked away when he caught her eye and then turned back to her phone to check if Denise had responded.

    Rachel’s phone rang. She thought that it was finally Denise calling. “Hello,” she answered. But it wasn’t Denise on the other end. It was Tommy Denise’s husband.

     “Hi Rachel?” the male voice on the other line sounded excited. “Hey this is Tommy. Listen Rachel I’m sorry to call but Denise has gone to a traffic accident. Cassie has gotten into an accident. Someone hit her from behind.”

    “Oh NO! I’m so sorry. Is Cassie, okay?” Cassie was their youngest daughter and she had recently gotten her license.

    “She’s fine. The car is smashed in, but she called Denise a bit shaken. She just got her license a few weeks ago. So anyway, Denise can’t make it. She said she’d call when she can.

    “Oh my gosh, well thanks for letting me know. I’m glad that Cassie is okay. We will catch up soon. Have a good night.” Rachel hung up her cell phone and stared out looking at the neon lights on the top of the bar. She was sad that Denise wasn’t going to be able to make it. They had such a bond. She had met Denise in Kindergarten almost fifty years ago. It was hard to believe that they had known each other that long and remained friends. She didn’t see her often but when they got together it was as if time had not passed. There was a comfort to their friendship and Rachel could be her true self.

    The cute guy across the bar looked towards her as she stared off. She caught his eye and half smiled. The half-smile was enough to open the door for him to speak. “Bad news?” he asked.

    Rachel was surprised he spoke. She didn’t exactly give a green light for conversation she thought but okay she would politely respond. “Bad in that my friend can’t make it due to a car accident.”

    “Oh no. I hope your friend is, okay? I was stood up by my friend but not for any reason.”

    “She is fine. It was her daughter, but she is okay. Fender bender.” Rachel couldn’t believe she was engaging this guy. He was cute but picking up guys at bars wasn’t her thing.

    The couple next to Rachel got up and left and now there were several spaces between her and Yankee hat-man. She was hoping to order her food and go home. “I see you voted today,” he said moving towards her.

    Oh, great she thought. Now he’s coming over. “I did. I see your sticker as well. It was a tough vote for me. This current political climate has been so tough over the last few years,” she said. She was hoping maybe he’d nod and order a beer and leave her alone, but the conversation continued.

    “I feel the same way,” he said smiling. “I hope I’m not bothering you. I noticed you when you came in and you looked so approachable,” he said.

   “Oh, thanks.” Rachel wasn’t quite sure how to take what he said, and she really just wanted to leave but it would be awkward, and she was hungry.

    “Sorry, sometimes I am too direct. You just looked friendly and to be honest I just lost my wife recently so talking to women isn’t something that I have a lot of practice with lately.”

    “I’m sorry about your wife. That is terrible.”

    “It is ok. Really. She had cancer and the last couple of years it was almost like I was preparing for her to go. She put up a good fight but, in the end, it spread to her main organs, and she couldn’t tolerate treatments and it got to the point where treatment wasn’t an option any longer.”

   “Well, that stinks. I have lost my husband but to another woman,” Rachel laughed. “A little different and my attitude may not be so good.”

    “Oh, gee. Now I’m sorry, “he said with a sympathetic smile.

    “Do you hang out here often? I haven’t seen you in here before. Now that sounds like a pick-up line,” Rachel laughed.

    “I live right down the street from here. I can walk here. I just moved into a smaller house after Lu died. But I only found this place because of my move.”

    “Oh. I’m starving, not to change the subject but I’m going to order some food. I might get ‘hangry,’” she winked.

    “Me too. I tend to not like to eat by myself. Would you care if I ordered food too? Usually, I order and then take it home. Less embarrassing eating at home alone.”

    Rachel found herself at ease. She did not want to like this stranger, but she did. He had a calm sweet personality. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but he reminded her of someone she knew and felt comfortable around. He had a good vibe. “I’m Rachel by the way.”

    “Jack. I’m really John but my parents always called me Jack. My dad was John, so they didn’t want to call me Johnny or Junior, I guess. Mostly growing up I was just referred to as hey you. I have four other siblings, so my parents often forgot my name,” he grinned.

    She liked the small crinkles in the corner of his bright eyes. He had a fun sparkle in them full of life she thought.

    “I always wanted to come from a big family. It was just me and my older sister. We don’t get along all that well.”

    “Families can be complicated. I love my sibling’s, but God knows we are different.”

    They continued to talk and share information while eating at the bar. Rachel a patty-melt and Jack munching on fish and chips. They both ordered another round of beers and the conversation seemed easy and natural. Jack somehow circled back to voting. “I like what you said about the election,” he said eating a French fry.

  “What do you mean?” Rachel said.

    “This election was hard, and our political climate is divided these days.”

     “Yep. Are we really going down this road? My experience is that people currently can’t talk politics unless they are in the same party. I don’t want to ask you who you voted for or why. It never ends well.”

   “I’d like to think I can. I had a minor in political and economic theory in college. I have always thought of myself as an armchair politician,” he laughed. “I understand politics.”

    “Really? We were having such a friendly conversation,” Rachel said sarcastically. 

    “Try me. I love politics. I know it’s a taboo subject. Especially since the candidates running are maybe not the most ideal…”

    “Ok. I’ll put this out there. The current President is completely incompetent, and I can’t believe anyone would vote for him again. How is that for a starter?” Rachel smirked.

    “Wow. Okay. You are passionate,” Jack said grinning. “Incompetent, really?”

   “Oh, come on Jack. The guy can barely put together two sentences not to mention his foreign policy is weak and has put us at risk on the world’s stage. Our exit from Afghanistan was a joke. I’m sorry I don’t know where you stand but you did ask me…”

    “That I did. I am a Liberal and have been my whole life. I think you have some valid concerns on foreign policy, but I disagree that the president is senile.”

    Jack and Rachel went back and forth on their opinions and ideology on current politics. A few times the bartender had to walk away as Rachel was looking very irritated. They continued to spar until the bartender yelled, “Last call!”

    Jack looked at his watch and it was midnight. “I can’t believe it’s midnight! I’ve enjoyed our banter, how about we continue this conversation tomorrow. Dinner at six?” He winked.




February 03, 2023 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

21:20 Feb 10, 2023

Jack and Rachel are so cute together! Love how you outlined their personalities, Rachel a little cautious and Jack forward. Good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.