0 comments

Fiction Romance Teens & Young Adult

Ryan Sommers, the most popular jock in high school. He was tall, probably about six feet, he had icy blue eyes and blond hair that was longer off the back. He was muscular and was respected by everyone, especially the female population. All the girls swoon over him, all taking turns flirting and asking him to drive them home. I'm pretty sure that he thought it was a fun little game. I was never the girl to talk to guys like that, and not because I don't find him extremely attractive matter of fact I've had the hugest crush on him but I knew he would never go for a girl like me. I am the short girl who's got average brown eyes, average brown hair that falls just below my shoulders and I have zero confidence. There has been a few guys who have tried to pursue me but I always end up finding that they just want my body. I do admit I am in pretty good shape, my stomach is pretty tone and from the words of my best friend Molly "you have a nice ass and gorgeous rack" whether or not she's telling the truth I'll never know but she is always there to hype me up. But anyways he's off limits. Only because Molly and him are considered a 'thing'. I don't really know what that means but he is just her almost half boyfriend I guess. It's hard being friends with such a gorgeous girl. She's five foot five inches, has long blonde hair that is always in loose curls, her smile is bright and her eyes are ocean blue with a little bit of green in the middle. Really makes me the ugly friend.

"Jolie hurry we are gonna be late!" Molly yelled from my room "Ryan is picking us up in five minutes." I hurried and ran back into my room. She sat on my bed staring at my outfit. She opened her mouth and said, " Take that crew neck off and change into these". She handed me a pair of ripped jeans and a black black flowy tank top that was way outside of my comfort zone and if my mother saw it I would not be leaving the house. I didn't protest cause I knew that if I were to say anything I would get a long lecture on how this is our last high school party before we graduate and I need to just live it up. I looked in the mirror and surprisingly felt pretty. I was kind of excited now. "He's here, lets go!" Molly could not have sounded more pumped.

Sitting in the back of Ryan old Chevy that sounded like it was about to break down was very awkward. Molly was in the front seat chatting up a storm with him but he really didn't seem that interested to talk to her; he just nodded, smiled and drove. We arrived at this shop that was already overflowing with drunk seniors and blasting music. Once we went inside Molly was immediately passing me a drink and in our usual fashion we drank it fast. Whenever me and Molly drink  we drink a lot and we drink it fast just to feel good. We know it's a bad habit but it's our tradition. I was five drinks in and feeling pretty good when I lost Molly. I did a drunken walk around the shop but figured she went to go make out with Ryan or something. I looked over to the corner and Ryan was  talking to his buddies. I walked over definitely not in a straight line or in a ladylike fashion and pointed at Ryan and asked "Have you seen Molly I lost her andddd '' I was cut off by myself drunkenly falling over. 

" Okay Jo I think you've had enough let's take this water to my truck and have a minute, Molly will find us.". He led me to his truck, put me in the passenger seat and went in the driver's seat. He handed me water and we just talked.

"Don't you ever take it slow" He laughed " It seems like every party you are absolutely trashed in an hour.

" Never" I said out loud and drunk.

“Let me guess you’re just living it up before we graduate”

"I can't find Molly. I think we should go look for her," I said genuinely worried and trying to change the subject of graduating.

"You know your life doesn't have to revolve around her right?" he said in a very questioning tone. He made eye contact with me and I looked away.

" I know I don't need her but she gives me confidence" I realized I over shared and quickly regretted it.

"You should have confidence Jo, you have such a great personality and yeah you may not have the ideal blue eyed blonde hair beauty but you are actually beautiful." my head spun, I was dizzy, did Ryan Sommers just call me pretty? At that moment I was completely  shocked. He leaned across and smiled. He took his hand and grabbed my arm and slowly slid it up to behind my ear. Was he really gonna kiss me? The alcohol in my system forced me to lean forward. He pulled me closer and put his lips on mine. My heart fluttered and completely forgetting all my principles I kissed him back.

"Let's get in the back" I nodded and climbed into the back. He laid back with his head against the back seat driver side window and I climbed on top of him continuing to kiss him. His hands were on my back and he pulled me closer. He reached down and started to try to take my shirt off. It would be my first time. Do I really want to sleep with him? I threw all my thoughts aside and let him. He slid the soft material over my head and started to take his own shirt off. He undid his belt and removed his own clothes and started to take my jeans off. His hands ran up and down my body as he kissed me.

I laid next to him, his chest heaving and his arm around me. I sat there in thought, did I really just sleep with Ryan Sommers? I NEED to tell Molly. Wait Molly. Then it came to me. Her and Ryan are technically a thing. Shoot. I was consumed with guilt. I sat up and started to look for my clothes. It came to a point where my underwear that had magically disappeared was going to get left in the truck, I have to get out of here.

“Looking for these?” Ryan said while handing me the black lace.A let out a sigh of relief. Once I was dressed I grabbed my water and opened the door when I felt a strong hand grab my arm.

" Where are you going" he mumbled

"I-I just need to go, this was wrong" I made it maybe 20 steps before he stopped me.

"I hope you know that this meant something to me, you're not just a hookup Jo," it was impossible not to melt, but I couldn't even look him in the eye.

" Don't tell Molly," I said " we will talk tomorrow."

The drive home was awful, Molly was flirting with Ryan while I sat in the back seat where mere hours before him and I were doing less than decent things. The whole time he kept looking back at me, making eye contact. I couldn't bring myself to do anything except look away. After what felt like hours of driving I was home slightly buzzed and Molly trailed behind me absolutely hammered.

The next morning Molly stormed into my room crying. She was asleep in the spare room which is basically hers at this point. She always is over at my house and my family has kind of adopted her. She was going on and on about how Ryan ended things with her over the phone and she is heart broken. My stomach was in my throat, I felt so guilty that I was the probable cause to this mayhem. I consoled her the best I could before she left to wallow in self-pity at home.

I heard a knock at the front door. What if it's Molly? I ran downstairs, opened the door and to my surprise Ryan stood in front of me.

"Can we talk?" I nodded and followed him to his truck.

"What am I supposed to do Ryan!" I panicked

" Calm down Jo, all I want to tell you is I will be more happy with you than with Molly."

"Yeah that's the thing Molly is my bestfriend. I can't lose her. We can't tell her." I felt tears forming in my eyes and my vision went blurry before I felt tears fall down my cheeks.

"We have to tell her, I want to be with you and we can't be together if she doesn't know the truth," He looked at me and started to wipe away my tears with his thumbs as he help my face " Don't cry it will be okay". Once again my morals left and I kissed him. Then just let him hold me for a while. I don't know why I did but it felt like that's what I needed.

“You’re the only one who calls me Jo, why?” I looked up at him truly wondering.

“Everytime someone would talk about you and refer to you as Jolie I’d think of the little pigtailed girl who my mom used to babysit. I guess Jo is what I call you now because I could never imagine myself falling for the pigtailed girl who bossed me around. But I know I'm falling for the girl who sits beind me in home room, it sounds stupid but I guess that's it.” He’s right it did sound stupid but it was sweet in the weirdest way.

“Lets just tell her, she’ll understand” he murmured.

“I just don’t think I could do that to her.”

“She’s going to find out eventually, a few of my buddies saw us go into the truck last night and they are bound to say something.” . I was about to reply when his phone started to ring. 

“It's Molly.”

“Answer it.” I said firmly, pulling away from him. He put the phone on speaker. 

“Ryan I know you had a girl in your truck last night. I can’t believe you would do that to me!” she sounded so mad. Almost as mad as she sounded when her grade eleven physics teacher gave her a detention for being one minute late. She never gets mad, she’s a calm straight A student who could do no wrong.

“I know and I’m sorry” before he could finish she hung up. I sat silently thinking about what I should do. If I told her what happened would she hate me enough to unfriend me or would she be her supportive self and be happy for me. I mean technically they weren't even dating. He just drove her home twice and then took us to the party. But in retrospect she sounded hurt and I don't want to hurt her more.

“Can you take me home?” I asked

“Yeah” He replied. I went upstairs to my room to find Molly sitting on my bed. She was crying but she looked kind of happy subtract the puffy eyes 

“ Ryan’s friends told me it was you in the truck last night,” I was panicked. “I'm not mad, I just want to hear the whole story, Jolie.” 

I sighed “ Ok so I was looking for you and I was very drunk, Ryan took me to the truck to sober up with some water and he started talking about how I'm pretty and a good person and I just never had anyone say that to me so when he kissed me I kissed him back then things just progressed,”  my eyes were filling with tears and when I looked hers were too. “He told me he has feelings for me and wants this to go somewhere. But it won’t if you don’t want it to.” I was fully crying now. 

“No, no Jolie go for it I support you. I mean it kind of hurts that he would do that to me but I am so happy for you and you did have feelings for him before me.” She got up and hugged me and we both were laughing while we cried.

 The next day at school everyone stared at me as I walked in holding Ryan’s hand and talking to Molly who was on my other side. There were rumors and I was called a few words but I had Molly there to stand up for me. I realized that if she had never found out I would’ve been sick with guilt and depressed because I lost a chance with the guy who I would’ve never thought would feel for me in such a way. So now when I send my kids with their cool aunt Molly for the weekend to have a get away with my high school sweetheart I have no regrets.  

December 02, 2020 17:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.