0 comments

Mystery

The summer of '87 was one to remember. Don and I had started off the first day by writing out everything we planned to accomplish that summer. Most notably, I would knock Jeremy back down to second place in the Space Invaders high score board. They called him Jem. Not sure why he was a celebrity in the arcade anyways, he came to school with a ridiculous blond fro' and wore the same shirt that read 'baller' every day. He sat alone at the cafeteria and was always the first one out during dodgeball, but for some reason, the tides changed in the arcade.

When Jem walked into the arcade, all eyes were on him. Kids would hold out their fists, hoping to get the feeling of Jem’s skin on theirs. Even Eric, the scrawny employee who never looked up or smiled, would acknowledge Jem with the slightest head nod. High School was right around the corner, and Don and I envied his elite status. We wanted to be the center of the arcade. He’d set an incredibly high bar for Space Invaders, but this summer, Don and I were going to make sure Jem became a piece of history.


2 weeks before school was out, while skating home from school on my board, the new girl Diana on my mind, I saw something glimmer in the crack of the sidewalk. I stopped, bent over, and pulled out the object. An annual arcade pass. My heart stopped. The annual arcade pass was a VIP member-only pass for year-round unlimited play. I could already vision our victory in the arcade as the snob Jem veered off in the corner, our names: ‘DONkey Kong’ and ‘Sergeant Nathan’ flickering on the screen. Word spread fast in my school, and hell, maybe the girls would actually give us a chance for once. This card meant unlimited play for summer, and I wouldn’t have to pull out another crusty quarter from my pocket or stealthily pull them out of my dad’s wallet anymore, either. A plan formulating in my mind, I hopped back on my board, raced to my house, and snatched the telephone off the wall, nearly snapping the cord. 

“Don,” I said firmly, stopping to catch my breath. 

“Nate? You won’t believe me but me and that new girl, her name was Diana I reckon’, made eye contact in 3rd period. Tomorrow I’m gonna walk overー”

Don! I found a VIP pass on the ground today after school,” I declared, waiting for his response.

“You-you foundーlet’s meet at the arcade today at 8. We’ll talk more,” he responded, a tone of disbelief and maybe even jealousy peeking through his voice. 

“Later,” I muttered, appalled by his dull reaction. 

Don and I had always been a package. Ever since the arcade next block had opened, Don and I went nearly every day. I wasn’t one to let off without a competition, but neither was Don. It was one day while I was playing Space Invaders and my mom told me to come outside immediately. I knew I was in trouble because she did the whole, “Nathan Arthur Whitson” shpiel. Turns out I was in trouble for not doing the dishes, but while I left my game mid-play, Don continued it for me. The next day, I was surprised to see our name on the second place leaderboard, written under Jem’s. Since then, we realized every score from the past was superseded when we worked together. Cliché, I know. But it worked just enough. But over the years, we’ve had the constant desire to take Jem’s place. 


Today Don and I were about to go to the arcade. I grabbed my walkman, keys, and reached for the arcade pass hidden under my bed. It wasn’t there. It’s probably farther down, I reassured myself. I frantically searched for a couple more minutes, as Don impatiently waited outside. Now the panic had really set in. I threw around my furniture, terrified as I looked around in every nook, cranny, corner, book, drawer, and pocket. 

Oh darn, I realized. It’s really gone.

I stormed out of my house with a convulsed and disappointed look on my face. Don’s normal demeanor of a radiant smile instantly dropped to a frown as he saw me. He waited for me to spill the news. 

“I lost it...” I said, shaking to the core. 

“Lost what?” Don questioned, though we both knew what I’d lost. I didn’t answer, ashamed to admit it. We’d decided I would keep the card because I was the more responsible one, and now I’d lost it. 

Don sighed. I had no idea what was coming next. 

“Well, find it then!” he suddenly exclaimed, turning a reddish hue that I had rarely seen. 

I was taken aback. Don always kept his cool. 

“Whoah,” I started, unsure of what to do when words failed, “I-I don’t understand what the fuss is.”

“Fuss? Nate, you promised not to lose the card. This was finally our year to beat Jem! And I’ve always kept this to myself, but why do you give Jem such a hard time? Sure, we want to beat him, but have you seen the way you push over Jem in the hallway? I swear, one of these days, you’re gonna kill him!” 

I stopped, replaying what he’d just said. Was it true? Could I really consume that much hate for one person, enough to kill them in all their glory for being better than me? Truth was, I knew I’d stepped too far in the wrong direction. But I still was a vengeful person, and while my brain told me no, my heart led me to different depths. Before I knew it, my mouth was spewing words in every direction, and I couldn't control it. 

“Well, Don, I’m sorry you feel that way, but I’m pretty damn sure you stole the card for your girl Diana!” I shouted, raising Don's eyebrows. “All you’ve been talking about for the last couple of days is Diana this, Diana that. I’ll tell you what, I bet you’re tryna impress her with your gaming skills and wanted first place. Hate to break it to you, but we both know I’m the better gamer.”

As soon as I said that, I knew I’d gone too far. Don lost the expression of anger lingering on his face, and it was replaced by innate sadness. My words were truer than ever, spiteful and now regretful. I longed to reverse time, but it was too late. Don looked me in the eye again, as if to appreciate all the years of friendship we’d had. I turned around, closed the door of my house and peeked out the window. He didn’t look back. 


To this day, I don't know who stole my card. It wasn't my card to begin with. But what started with an unfair hate against Jem spiraled into stealing someone's card, inflating my ego, and losing a best friend. Quite honestly, I think Karma stole my card.



April 13, 2020 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.