Homeward Bound, Blessings Found

Submitted into Contest #31 in response to: Write a short story about someone heading home from work.... view prompt

0 comments

General

"Dinner is waiting on the stove when you get to my house," my wife said over the phone. "I hope you like it, it's a jambalaya that I made with a bunch of random shit. All kinds of vegetables, even threw some sausage and shrimp in there."

"It sounds lovely," I said with a chuckle. "Well I'm just leaving the office so I'll be there in about twenty minutes."

"Okay babe. I love you."

"I love you too."

My music retook control of the Bluetooth pairing and began playing.

"Lord God, I thank You so much for this woman. She is one of the most amazing things that has happened to me on this earth thus far. I know I get on her nerves and she tortures mine sometimes, but I know deep down it's because what we have is real. No matter what we've gone through together we've always managed to keep in perspective that this is a forever thing."

The wheels of my Camaro tugged at the asphalt road, pulling me closer and closer to my destination; my Garden of Eden.

"I pray," I continued, "that You show me how to keep her, how to treat her the way You would have me treat Your daughter. That's what she is, and You decided to introduce us. So I take it in high honor to take care of her fully and completely. She is my Queen."

A flash of lightning streaked across the evening sky, illuminating the clouds for miles. A few moments later a crack of thunder shook the windows of my Camaro.

"I receive that she knows I love her," I continued my prayer, "and that every act I have ever committed was to demonstrate that love. I receive that she knows I will not leave her over petty nonsense, and I also receive that she will not hurt me. And though You have given her unto me, My Father, I know that there will always be a piece of her that I'm waiting on her to give. But I know that spot is reserved for You. Thank You for leading me to and saving her. Amen."

"Promise" by Ben Howard was playing throughout the duration of my prayer. My earthly eye became realigned with reality and I was at once supremely focused on the road in front of me. The lightning flashed across the sky again, seconds later thunder shattered the airwaves. As the droplets of rain began to pour on the convertible cover of my Camaro, I sunk back into my seat. The soothing strumming of the guitar in the speakers created an angelic frequency, in which I could rest forever.

A thought came to me about work. As I sped past multiple eating establishments on the boulevard it made me think of two things: how lucrative finding a piece of property on a boulevard like this would be, and how I don't ever have to worry about eating at one of these fat inducing restaurants. But I was more focused on the first thought, about work. I was closing a deal at that time on a commercial building in downtown Houston; it was dual apartment and business office space. And it was located on the busiest street in downtown. Plus it had a café and a five star restaurant in the lobby. As I pondered that piece of gorgeous realty I couldn't help but think of attempting to purchase similar ones here in Greensboro.

I was about five minutes away from the love of my life and her miracle concoction. I always loved when she would cook like that, she would create the most delectable meals. Sometimes she is even able to recreate them, to my utter happiness, because most of the time there weren't leftovers.

I pulled up to the stoplight that led to her house's street. We had decided that it be best for us to live separately. This way we can each really have our own space. We also have everything separate as far as finances and such, though we do help each other out if need be, we're both very blessed. But we understood at the beginning of this that a true love doesn't need titles. It doesn't need representation by way of an expensive ring, a house in the suburbs together where you leave and come back to the same house each evening so everyone knows. We learned that real love doesn't compromise commitment to your partner simply because you can't see what the other person is doing every hour of every day. People need space, people need the freedom to be people. And trust has to play a supreme part; and even more so, faith.

As I pulled into the driveway of her beautiful home I stepped out of the car with an utter love for God and for all that he had given me. Walking up to the brick house (pun intended) I fumbled for the right key so I could go inside. There was a pleasant aroma that filled the air. I closed the door and hung up my keys and coat, kicked off my shoes.

I walked into the kitchen and saw the pot full of the miracle concoction. I shimmied to the cabinet and grabbed a bowl. Then I fixed myself a glass of iced tea with lemon. I went to sit down at the kitchen table to begin my feast, when I heard my wife call from upstairs.

"I'll be down in a second babe!"

I didn't call back because I had a face full of food. The sound of high heeled footsteps began coming down the stairs. I assumed my wife was doing some kind of flirty gesture. But I heard what were steps in between steps, it sounded like there were two people coming down. I actually began to get worried.

She rounded the corner completely naked; she placed her back against the frame of the door.

"Hey," she said with a flirty look and smile. "how's it taste?"

"It's delicious actually. I wonder what dessert is."

"I think you'll love it," she said smiling again.

She reached her hand around the corner and pulled her friend from behind the wall, and she was naked as well. This friend had been wanting to be married for awhile, from what my wife told me. She had made jokes about having her friend join our marriage before. Being a man I didn't shy away from when she would mention it - never know if she could be serious - but I still hadn't really considered it a possibility.

"Whoa, uh, I," I stammered. "Uh, is this." I turned to look to my left, then darted my eyes back to them. "Is this real? Like this isn't a joke? It's a joke, right? Or a test?"

"While you're trying to figure it out," my wife said, "we'll be upstairs waiting for you to finish eating."

"Don't get too full," her friend said, "we need you to still have your appetite. We've got whipped cream," she said, leaning forward with her hands on her knees.

With that the two of them began giggling - my wife grabbed her friend by the hand and drug her out of the room and I heard the pitter patter of their heels going up the stairs.

I sat back for a few moments and began smiling. I looked up and gave a swift and powerful "Thank You" to God, hands clasped together and smile on my face. I scooped one more spoonful from my bowl, and left it right there on the table as I darted upstairs.

March 03, 2020 18:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.