0 comments

Fiction

The blackout occurred at 7 pm, in an instance the entire city of New York went dark. Eight million people are left in the dark with no power.

The city is at a standstill, people are rushing to get home in the darkness that is New York. Cops have been called to quell the crowds that have begun to form.

Liam and his two younger brothers Noah and Ethan are caught up in the crowd that is forming in Time Square. Liam tells his brothers to walk in the opposite direction away from the crowds. He tells them to hurry. Noah and Ethan begin to run, they almost make it out of the crowd when the people start to get closer. Noah and Ethan stop.

The crowd starts pushing Noah and Ethan forward. They are scared for their lives. Just as the crowd begins to attack the police Liam comes up from behind, he takes Noah and Ethan's hand, they push through the crowd.

Liam, Noah and Ethan make it safely out of the crowd. Liam finds temporary shelter in an alley, there they see the crowd overwhelm the cops. They begin to beat on the cops, some of the people are grabbing the cop's guns.

Liam sees more cops coming to help, these cops are carrying tear gas which they throw at the crowd. The cops keep on throwing more and more tear gas. Finally the crowd has begun to disperse. Liam sees this as an opportunity to leave.

Liam grabs a hold of Noah and Ethan's hand, they slowly move out of the alley and begin to walk as fast as possible.

"Liam, this is crazy." Noah tells Ethan

I know buddy. I'm not going to let anything happen to you guys."

The boys nod

Liam heads straight to Central Park. On each street Liam, Noah, and Ethan are walking through, they see people looting the stores. Liam tells his brothers walk, don't look. Noah and Ethan do as they are told.

Liam, Noah and Ethan are very close to Central Park when they see another crowd this one forming at the apple store. Liam stops and looks at the crowd. He tries to go around the crowd, he sees this one is smaller than the one in time square, but more determined to get what they want.

Liam takes Noah and Ethan around the crowd. Liam once again finds an alley to stay safe from the crowd. Liam, Noah and Ethan watch as the crowd begins to break the windows down. They see people pushing each other to get in the apple store and loot it. Fighting has begun amongst the looters.

This time Liam knows the cops are not going to come. He grabs Noah and Ethan's hand, he looks down at them, with a nod of their heads Noah and Ethan know they have to make a run for it.

Liam, Noah and Ethan run to the plaza which is down the block from where they are. They see people fighting each other for iPhones and tablets. Liam pulls Noah and Ethan to run. The people have spotted them and now they are coming after them.

"Run guys!"

Liam yells

Noah and Ethan ran faster, but Ethan tripped. Liam and Noah are ahead of him. Liam and Noah reaches the plaza. The doorman frantically opens the door. When they get into the plaza Liam notices that Ethan is not with them.

"Noah. Where is Ethan?"

Noah shrugs

Liam turns around, goes to the door and sees a crowd around someone on the ground. Liam notices its Ethan. Liam opens the door, the doorman stops him.

"My brother is out there."

Liam tells the doorman

The doorman hands Ethan a bat, and he tells Liam to be careful.

Liam nods

Noah watches as Liam heads outside to rescue Ethan.

Liam runs straight to the crowd. He swings the bat at anything that moves. One by one the bodies begin to fall. He sees Ethan is on the ground crying, with one last swing Liam hits the man who is about to kill Ethan. Bang he goes down. Liam crouches down next to Ethan.

"Buddy it's me Liam."

Ethan looks up and sees Liam. He hugs Liam.

"I thought I was going to die."

"I got you Ethan."

Liam takes Ethan to the plaza. The doorman opens the door for Liam and Ethan. Noah comes racing to Ethan and hugs him. The doorman hands Liam the first aid kit and a flash light. Liam looks at the doorman and says thank you.

Liam wipes off the blood on Ethan's face. He tells Noah and Ethan they are safe. When he is done helping Ethan Liam takes the boys and finds a place where they can hide.

"Stay here. Don't come out for nothing."

The boys nod

Liam goes back to the doorman. He sees the doorman has a worried look on his face.

"What's the matter?"

The doorman points outside

Liam looks outside at the crowd he pummeled with the bat. He looks at the last guy he hit, the one who was going to kill Ethan.

"Who is that guy?"

Liam asks the doorman

The doorman replies. "That is Ayden Marks, younger of Jackson Marks.

Liam shakes at the mention of the Mark's brother's name.

Liam knows the Marks brother's all too well. He had a run in with them a few days ago protecting Noah.

"Figures they would use the blackout to their advantage."

The doorman looks at Liam. "You know the Marks brother's?"

Liam nods

"I had a run in with them a few days ago."

Liam and the doorman see the crowd gather around Ayden Marks. They are trying to help him up, but a deep voice has them parting. Liam and the doorman see Jackson Marks.

Liam and the doorman see Ayden Marks pointing in their direction. Jackson Marks turns towards them. The doorman tells Liam to shut the flash lights off and head to his brother's. Liam goes.

Liam hears the doorman open the door, and hears the doorman telling Jackson Marks not to come in. Liam then hears the crowd yelling at the doorman and then nothing. It's all quiet.

"Liam. What's happening?" Noah asks

"Stay here. I'm going to find out."

Liam steps out of the hiding place. He goes to the front door. Liam sees the doorman isn't there. He moves closer to the door and sees the crowd beating the doorman. Liam spots Jackson Marks staring at him. Liam runs back to Noah and Ethan. He tells them to get up. Noah and Ethan get up and follow Liam.

Liam hears the door opening. He knows Jackson Marks is coming.

"Where are we going?" Ethan asks

"To hide from Jackson Marks."

Liam hears Jackson Marks coming closer and closer. He hands Noah the flash light.

"Start running."

Noah and Ethan look at Liam with a worry look on their faces.

"I'll be right behind you."

Noah and Ethan nod

Noah and Ethan start running. Liam turns around and standing before him is Jackson Marks. Liam sees Jackson marks didn't come alone. The crowd he is with has surrounded Liam.

"Any last words." Jackson asks Liam

Liam just stares at Jackson Marks.

As the crowd descends on Liam the power comes back on. Jackson Marks tells the people to stop. They stop and back away from Liam. Jackson Marks tells them to leave.

"This is your lucky day." Jackson Marks tells Liam

Jackson Marks and the crowd leave.

Noah and Ethan run up to Liam.

"Are you okay." Noah asks

Liam nods

One week after the blackout, all is back to normal. Officials still don't understand why and how the blackout happened. Officials suspect the Marks brother's had something to do with the blackout, but they have no evidence.

The mystery of the blackout remains unsolved.

May 05, 2021 21:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.