The bad child

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

As I wipe the sweat off my face. The shadowy figure leaned against the tree falls slightly. My eyebrows raise slightly as I pick up the shovel.

I see the chest of the blonde man take a deep shallow breathe. I raise the shovel , the figures head is dropped slightly. As I approach I take the spade end of the shovel and lift his head slowly.

His head slowly falls backwards his eyes closed slightly. I tilt my head as I glanced down at him. His crystal blue eyes watching me, a almost blood curling grunt came from him.

"Ah I see. Left me to clean up another mess?" I shoke my head side to side.

A taller man comes out from the other side. " Come on scar just this last time?"

I look at him slowly, " Kyle , you said with the last one." I said as I dig the shovel into the ground.

"I know I know but look at him. He was asking for it."

The poor kids lip was busted open, he looked sickly and his hair was a slight blonde color.

"Kyle why is he here?" I squinted my eyes at the kid leaning on the shovel.

He was bobbing against the tree when Kyle bends down and pushes him. "Kyle ?" I asked more sternly.

"Alright scar, he's yours." He smirked as he looked up at me. I shook my head, I looked at the kid and his eyes looked like prey.

"Fine. But! This time is the last time!" I sigh and look at the boy. "Last time kyle."

As I walk through the woods the guy is following, slowly as if trying to get away. "What's ur name?" I ask trying to get some kind of footing.

"...Tate..." One word awnser? Really that's it? My work is gonna take longer.

"Why were you with Kyle?" I go on asking questions. He looks at his hands bound by a Ziptie. Tired of playing cat an mouse I stop and he runs into my back.

"Let's be clear here. I'm what you call a leader figure." I say as bend down and pull out my boot knife.

" I'm not a saviour nor am I fundraiser understand?" I cut the Ziptie. "If u want freedom go! Don't think of coming back am I clear?" I push him once and he looks at his hands stunned.

Seeing this I start walking again. I don't have time to train another list soul who will run on me. I hear a extra pair of heavy footsteps behind me.

"Miss...?" He try's to remember my name and I roll my eyes." It's scarlet but to you from now on it's boss." I say as the clearing opens up. " And we are here." He stiffens as he looks at the group of guys playing cards and laughing some girls joking with them.

"Welcome to the land of the bad child." I usher him toward the door. "This is my home , well now it's home for you to. You never answered my question before Tate." I sit at the dinning room table and he follows me.

"I met Kyle while I was running..." I raise my eyebrows at this sentence.

"Running from what?" I asked as he shivers a bit.

" Well you see Kyle and me use to hang over on the corner of ....that's not what you ment is it?" I sigh and offer him a seat he gladly accept.

"I was running from my dad....he had some debt and used me as leverage."

That alone made me realize why he looked this way. I shook away my thoughts." Well these woods are privately owned and the grounds are ours to roam. BUT ....no drugs none understand me?" My firmness came out almost bitterly.

He nodded his head slowly." Alright you'll have to bunk with Tyler and teddy u won't mind do you?" He shakes his head no. Obedient...hmmm...." How far into school have you gotten?" I ask as I get up and start to prepare a sandwich. Knowing full well he's hungry. He keeps his head down low and staring at the ground. The sound of me setting the sandwich infront of him makes him jump a bit. Obedient and skittish well that's a start. Now what to do?

As soon as I question myself Tyler walked in laughing. " Hey boss,...uh...new guy?" He questioned.

" Yes Tyler he's the new guy please be nice he'll be bunking with you an teddy." He plopped on the chair next Tate.

"What's your name?how old are you?why is your hair like that?are you a virgin?" Hearing that last question I shook my head. "Alright I'm going to my room if you need me let me know....be nice Tyler!" I call behind me.

As soon as I said that I heard a huff. I made my way to the door and pushed it open me and deliah share one room. Her side was happy and ....pink. while my side was the complete opposite of her. My side was filled with books to the brim, Shelf after self. I'm a bookworm and I'm okay with that. I'm what you call a bad child. I never listen to my parents which is how I ended up here. This facility is mine, my parents do anything to keep me away.

You see I'm a business women and my business is illegal. Take a chance and make a mistake. Get caught you get sent to me. I'm supposed to help bring them into a better "place" but for the parents. I make there problems go away. They join me in my "business", yes we do illegal stuff but we bring them to peace. We give them a family, a home. The longer we stay together the more trouble we get into. My business is a cover up for operations.

Im a leader but in family I'll always be the bad child. It's my nickname used since I could walk. The name has stuck creating the path of me.

My parents favored my brother more, a male heir. I was not favored and broke out in a rebellion. For them to get me to back down and leave my brother alone, I got this facility. In the middle of the woods no one can bother us. My facility is a cabin made to fit a large family, my family owned it but we were so small. The cabin became my homestead in highschool with a maid for company.

Being alone and ahead of everyone else in the educational background, I enrolled in college and began my business. The businesses are booming both legal and non-legal. This kid his story is indeed has peaked my interest.

April 14, 2020 09:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.