A Zombie of a Storm

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Mystery Romance

It was finally morning. I had such a terrible night, but Mary was still sleeping soundly, like a Zombie. We were on our honeymoon in the Bahamas, in Paradise Village. The week we had was amazing. We danced our hearts out and ate the best meals you could imagine. Tonight we had mango salad and pasta with fresh tomato sauce. We had Sangria to drink and fresh fruit cup for dessert. We didn’t want it to end, but it started raining and that was when the nightmare began! 


After dinner, we walked back to our villa. We made passionate love like it was our last night on earth. We kept hearing the light rain outside. Mary fell asleep, but I was awake. I knew something was wrong, the air felt different. The rain was beating harder and harder on the grass rooftop and then, I saw strange flashes of light outside. It even scared me and nothing bothered me. In fact, I was a cop from Florida. I had seen the worst fights and most violent crimes. I decided to get up from the bed and walk to the porch. I quickly ran back inside, because the lightning flashed right before my eyes. I was trying to be quiet, because I didn’t want to wake up Mary. She slept through the storm, I guess it was from all of the Sangria we had.


The lighting was eerily bright. It was coming from the other side of the coast, near Florida where we lived. We were in for a terrible night! Finally, I fell asleep despite the loud thunderstorm. 


When I woke up, the villa was flooded. I looked outside and everything was destroyed. The storm flooded our villa, but outside was worse. The resort was completely ruined. There was nothing left of it. I let Mary sleep, because I thought she could wait to see the mess of the storm. I knew she’d be frantic. So as she slept, I started to salvage everything I could find that was left in our room. I rushed to gather our clothes although they were soaked from the rain. It was still raining, but not quite as badly as in the middle of the night. I then walked into the bathroom and couldn’t believe my eyes! 


As Mary was waking up, I stood motionless in front of the bathroom mirror. I was looking in the mirror, but I looked different. I almost didn’t recognize myself. Where did my soft brown hair go? It was thicker now and stuck up like spikes. It was much darker too, but even my body was different, it was more muscular, big and strong. I looked and felt like a Zombie. My heart was beating fast and I finally ran to Mary’s side. She quietly asked what happened outside, but I just held her. She seemed even smaller than usual, I guess because I felt so strong. Mary was a beautiful woman. She had long blonde hair that was  always swept off her face with a sparkly clip. I told her about the treacherous storm last night and how we had to get out of there somehow. She just stared at me, speechless. She was so upset about the storm that she didn’t notice how I’d changed. Her blue eyes looked dark and gloomy.


I hoped we would make it home. Home? I didn’t even know where that was at the moment, but I knew we must have been the only survivors. There was so much damage and destruction to the land. Once we left the villa, we kept walking. All we could see for miles were villas and cabins that were demolished. There were cars on the roads that were flipped over and palm trees that had fallen during the storm. There was no one around except the two of us. Everyone had disappeared. We just kept walking and holding hands. Ever since we started dating in university, we held hands. Every minute we had, we spent together. 


I told Mary to hurry, she was just walking so slowly. I didn’t want to worry her more, but I knew we had to get out of there, the next storm could be worse. It was so deserted. There was nothing around us except the remnants of last night’s storm. I was far ahead of Mary, so I had to turn back to pick her up. I actually swept her off her feet. Over one shoulder, I carried the few bags of things I could salvage and I had Mary over the other shoulder. It felt like I was carrying nothing but feathers. I was incredibly strong now. So I ran, I ran as fast as I could, like lightning. In about five minutes, I was across to the other side of the deserted land. 


Luckily, I saw a small speed boat ahead of us near the shore. We grabbed it and moved quickly across the water. We looked back in disbelief at the destruction of the land behind us. I finally glanced away from the land and looked into Mary’s beautiful eyes, but I saw something different. Something that wasn’t there before. Her blue eyes looked dark and blank, like she was staring into space. Hours later we made it back to Florida. 


The next few weeks went on as if nothing happened. We continued our regular lives. Mary worked at her design store and I went back to the police force. I began researching what happened in the Bahamas. I mean it was all over the news in Florida. I found out it was an isolated storm. Then I read how lightning can cause electrical damage and destruction. It finally occurred to me that we were in this electrical storm. This particular storm caused people to behave like zombies. So now I understood. We were meant to be in that storm. It was a test of our survival and of our strength as a couple.


Mary and I continued our lives together. We were in Zombie Land now. Her eyes eventually became solid blue and were dead. You could see right through her stare, but with this stare she could see for miles and miles. I on the other hand, was super fast. I ran in under five seconds to the corner and back to our house. No one knew our secret. They only wondered who the people were that looked like zombies.




September 26, 2020 00:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

17:53 Oct 01, 2020

You've left me wondering about that storm, about how many people were affected and what other effects it might have had, interesting idea! I'd like to point out a couple of things I noticed you might want to watch out for in future writings, hopefully it is of help. The first one is the verb tenses: I think there are some places where you're using the wrong one. You're telling the story in past simple and continuous (which is perfectly fine, it's quite common), which means when you talk about events previous to when the story is taking pla...

Reply

Jill Ann
19:39 Oct 01, 2020

I appreciate all of your advice. It will be very helpful for my writing. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.