0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

It had rained like it was the coming of the apocalypse. All waterways were flooded. So were all streets and roads. Men and women had to move about in boats to help the needy. The rain had now stopped and relief work was on. The chief minister of the ruling party called a meeting of all concerned to review the situation. The CM said “Our people have suffered a lot due to the rains and are looking to us to ease their problems. See this map on the board before you. The satellite town marked T40 was worst affected and I had sent teams to help. I now need to know the feelings of those who had suffered. I have in mind Moses the special officer in the ministry to go and assess the relief that has been provided. Any suggestions?”

The only woman cabinet minister said “I propose that a female officer also be deputed to independently assess the relief. I can depute Lily who works in my ministry.” The proposals were approved.

Moses was a tall bearded man with a bald head and big moustache. He was about 40. He was known to be a man who smiled rarely unless when the higher ups said something for levity. He was known to be a blunt matter of fact person used to calling a spade a spade.

Lily was about 26 slightly rotund and with a friendly demeanor. She had then gift of the gab with ready wit.

The two officers duly moved and joined duty in T40.

Hearing about the posting of Lily and Moses, Citizen One of T40 said in a chat “What they say is the two have different temperaments. It seems he is a sincere type but she only gossips. Moses is a widower and Lily is unmarried. You know what can happen when they get together!”

Citizen two of T40 said “I’ve info about Lily. It seems she is liable to land others into trouble. She is a favorite of our lady minister and we don’t know what instructions our minister has given her. I don’t know about Moses.”

Citizen one said “From what you say Lily and Moses may not give a unanimous verdict. Let us see what happens.”

Moses and Lily arrived separately and camped in quarters provided by the town authorities. Soon they were on duty at the office where help was being rendered to the rain hit. The two sat in separate rooms.

A lame grandma came and was helped into the room occupied by Moses. He wished her cordially and said “Grandma, I understand you’ve suffered due to the recent rains.”

“Yes sir. Last month I lost my son due to electrocution and my 2 grandchildren also died one by drowning and the other in a wall collapse.”

“I suppose you escaped injury.”

She said “I could’ve died of starvation as no food reached us after we took refuge in the third floor of our house for nearly two days. Also my foot was twisted and I’m in pain and limp.”

“Why have you come here this day?”

“To consult the doctor but he hasn’t come. He was supposed to be here at 9. The time is nearing ten.”

Moses made a phone call and said “Grandma, the doctor had met with a road accident on his way here on his scooter. But he will be here in 10 minutes. Otherwise how do you rate the overall treatment meted out to you?”

“The doctor was kind, treated me and gave me medicines free of charge. Overall I feel better but my sorrow persists.”

Moses said “These tragedies happen and are called acts of God. We have to find consolation.”

Seeing she was in tears and unable to speak Moses gave her a small packet of juice and said “Please have this. Then you can meet my colleague Lily.”

She immediately drank the juice and left the room saying “The doctor has arrived. Thanks.”

 Moses came out of his room and saw an old man coming in on crutches. Going to him Moses said “Grandpa please sit here outside. What brings you here?”

“My eye glasses broke when I fell on the flooded road. The arm support of my left crutch also became loose. I was told to come this day.”

Moses enquired and himself brought the repaired glasses to the old man. Moses tightened the arm rest on the crutch. He ordered a tender coconut and gave it to the old man to drink.

The old man said “This country needs more people like you. You have my wishes and blessings.”

“Thank you. Please go to the lady in that room.”

Next a man with an eye patch on one eye came in. Moses seated him and asked “What did the rain do to you?”

The man said “My house was flooded and I jumped out to the street. I hit barbed wire fencing and injured one eye. The doctor here said I’ll only have one eye hereafter.”

“Why have you come here today?”

“I came as I was told I would be given eye glasses for the one eye. The doctor has put in eye drops and has asked me to wait.”

“Please meet the lady in that room.”

Lily reported: The same persons who went to Moses came and reported to me also. I learnt through them that Moses bribed the patients when they said they were satisfied. His method of questioning was wrong. I have recorded further instances of such behavior. He was only trying to earn a good name for himself. I had no ulterior motive in speaking to people affected by the colossal rain. Of course there are rumors that he is planning to enter politics and also to take voluntary retirement to stand for next year’s election. Moses is a widower and I was very careful in dealings with him as he could even seize the chance to dishonor me.

Moses wrote: On day one I gave an old crippled lady who was overcome by grief and unable to speak, a box of juice I had brought for myself. She immediately drank it. I gave a lame old man a tender coconut which I order for myself with my lunch. Nothing further was given. After talking to nearly 60 patients I got the feeling they were by and large happy with the treatment extended. I have no desire to enter politics but I have ideas of entering the church later to serve people. I wish Madam Lily all the best despite her wrong conclusions about me.

The CM was a wise man. He knew the lady minister who had sent in Lily was planning on unseating ḥim and taking his place. She had sent Lily surely to decry treatment meted out to the rain hit. He would be extra vigilant! He gave Moses an extra increment and a flattering confidential report.

END

January 29, 2023 01:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.