Desperate Measures

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Desperate Remedies'.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

Oscar was Oscar, no one could change him? once he decided on a method of doing something. Stuborn as a mule? Over the years others had come to accept him for who he had become.

The word came to mind methodical as a boy his books lined up in a straight line on a shelf above his bed. His treasured telescope upon his neat writing desk. Where he studied insects how they bred and multipled. Watching every movement through the telescope. Was this the sign of a murder or eccentric youth.

So many hours in his room, not like other boys. No pranks or mishaps, his parents worried over the time he spent in his room. He was an attractive lad, with striking blue eyes and blond hair. Good at sports never mixed after soccer practice always in his room. They had to remind him about meal times. Going to bed he was so wrapped up in his own private world and thoughts.

A pass to Cambridge in his late teens, had all his studying paid off? His parents, Walter and Ivy, thought oh, with his flashing smile he will meet a nice girl. So he did Sue a trainee teacher, he met in a small quaint cafe in Cambridge. They got on well living together, sharing flat. His parents raised their glasses. They had normal son? Not a swot. He had a life beyond his literature.

With poise, intelligence and charm, Oscar with Sue, made a nice couple. Often seen driving in a smart Trumph red sports car, bought by Oscars parents. Oscar would not marry Sue until he qualfied as dentist. Visions of owning his own practice came to mind.

So, they waited another seven years before marriage. Sue longed for children not until the practice is up and running. Sue began to think that Oscar was too practical about life. She had other offers while Oscar studied she saw friends. Knowing he took her for granted.

Where would it all lead now they were married. A decade later than their friends now Oscar wanted to wait before starting a family. It ached to see others in tow with their children, Who knew Oscar and Sue from their college days. "A womans thing you will get over it?" Oscar had remarked smiling down at her with his fine ivory teeth. It did not do to argue with Oscar, Sue held her breath.

He had an habbit of looking vunerable while studying occassionally sucking on his thumb. A rare habit for a man in his thirties, maybe thats why she stayed? Who wanted to potter about in a relic of an old house, with a constant ring of the door bell people coming for treatment. Now he did weekend surgeries cutting down their time together.

Bank holiday, Sue thought she would russel up a casserole and they would share a bottle of fine expensive vintage wine. Later going for a river side walk together. Where was Oscar going?

He was out all day coming back with a soaked hankerchief. He looked different had he been attacked? No Oscar was a selfish man? Pulling out his ivories all of them without telling her. Reason being, so that he would not bite on his thumb or finger nails.

Well Sue had finally had enough, wasted years of living with a selfish man. "Oh, youre going". He had said. No thoughts about her welfare just a handsome cheque in the post.

Sue had met Brian a motor mechanic after her divorce from Oscar. Three gorgious children had followed. Sue enjoyed traveling with Brian and the kids in an old camper van weekends, Their cottage was bursting at the seams with the children, dog and cat. Sue felt happy, teaching partime, to spend more time with her family.

Oscar still rambled about in his large mansion . A dentist without teeth, did he care? He only seemed to think about crisp twenty pound notes and the odd trip to Thailand.

The moral to this story being , you can not have your cake and eat it. Things may look perfect, when there not? Particularly if you cannot find the time for the feelings of those close to you.

Did Oscar know or care that his relationship with his wife was falling apart? Certainly he did not suffer or fret over it. Or wish to save it. Did he care about missing out on family life? When he could buy it abroad at a price.

Rumour being that he paid money out to a son in Thailand who he hardly ever saw. Again possibly by choice. The boy would be well educated, optimistic he would make time for others and their feelings. Becoming a wealthy man, one day maybe a better man than his own father?

Maybe Oscar knew his faults and it was an act of pretence, by showing that he did not care. Would he change becoming a better grand -parent if his own son had a family. So many un answered questions. All down to someone taking others too much for granted . Then getting caught in the parent trap. Did his sons mother see Oscar as a meal ticket or was she educated enough to resolve the situcation by accepting it.

Who knows ? Only time will tell. Or did she decide to make the best of a one night stand by presenting Oscar with his son. Oscar being Oscar probably checked out D.N.A . Possibly arranging his sons life as a business transaction through his accountant.

Oscar being the sort of man who always had an alter ego and motive to his own advantage. No one can programme fate. The boy could grow up adoring a father he as never hardly seen. While couples who cannot have children of their own suffer the loss. Its all down to the gods a pattern of life we do not expect.

A path worth traveling along whos to say or why? Some thing to think about the whys and errors and surprizes of life. Do we choose who we fall in love with or meet by chance, an animal instinct of survival.

April 26, 2024 23:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.