Diabolically Divisive and Diabetes Divine

Written in response to: Write a story in which a character eats something that they shouldn’t have eaten.... view prompt

0 comments

Christian Friendship Teens & Young Adult

Sugar highs.

Sugar lows.


Artificially.

Pure cane.


The Diabolical Sweet Tooth.


Throw caution to the wind.

Just dig in.

This time of year, especially, can be a time of great indulgence. Great indulgences.


Great highs.

Great lows.


And through it all.

Sugar is there.

To make it all better…

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Present and unaccounted for.


Sugar can wreak a havoc.

On the system.

Systemically.

Too much sugar in the blood can lead to serious health problems. (mc)


The mysterious way in which some folks can down a box of dots or juju bees while others cannot even look at a sugar cube is one of life’s cruelest happenings. Cruelest mysteries. We may never know the culprit of the highs and lows. Yet. We keep trying to find out how the mood swings, slings and arrows keep the blood flow flowing. Either straight and narrow. Or. All over the place.


The monitor of all monitors— must come to the rescue of


Yourself.


Modern medicine makes it possible to navigate the choices of monitoring.


If and when you qualify.


Burdensome though they may be.

A host of reactive occurrences occur due to high sugar, due to low sugar.


To name just a few:


High.

Low.

Sweating.

Shakiness.

Weakness.

Hunger.

Dizziness.

Headache.

Blurred vision.

Heart palpitations.

Irritability.

Slurred speech.

Drowsiness.

Confusion.

Fainting.

Seizures. (mc)


Glucose. Another word for sugar is best when monitored, however methods may vary as to which are best, the best monitors.


Dot.


Was one such monitor. A sweet bevy of an enticement, Dot worked the room like no one could imagine. Like no one could believe. Drawing in folks with the sweetness of her drawl and the cotton candy of her shape. Fluffy, sugary, granular with just enough grainy to mix well with others, the other sugary, confectionary mixers.


And Dot came at a cheap price.

In fact. The cheapest.


Free.


Empty.


The problem. The sneaky problem….. Dot’s contribution to many diseases.


As free sugar consumption grew in the latter part of the 20th century, research began to examine whether a diet of Dots, a diet high in free sugar, especially refined, was damaging to human health. Excessive hanging out with Dot proved to be associated with obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, tooth decay.


Wow.

The key.

Everything in moderation.

The problem.

Sugar and Dot are everywhere.


Around the 15th century, when sugar was introduced in Madeira and the Canary Islandsand the area settled. At this time, an all consuming passion for sugar swept through society because it was more easily available. sugar was considered to have valuable medicinal properties. As a “warm” food under prevailing categories, being helpful to the stomach, to cure cold diseases, and soothe lung complaints.(wk)


The Sugar Trail!


In 1492, Christopher Columbus collected sugar cane samples in the Canary Islands and introduced it to the New World. (wk)


Yummy!! Yes!!


Sugar was a luxury in Europe until the early 19th century, when it became more widely available, due to the rise of beet sugar in Prussia, and later in France under Napoleon. (wk)


Did you know?


Beet sugar was a German invention. Yummy!! Andreas Sigismund Marggraf announced the discovery of sugar in beets and devised a method using alcohol to extract it.


Yummy!


By the 19th century, sugar became widely popular and was present in almost every household. This resulted in major economic and social changes. World consumption increased more than 100 times from 1850 to 2000, led by Britain, where it increased from about 2 pounds per head per year in 1650 to 90 pounds by the early 20th century.


Sugar was, until the late 19th century, purchased in loaves, which had to be cut using implements called sugar nips. Later, granulated sugar was more usually sold in bags. The sugar cube was produced in the 19th century.


Sugar was rationed during World War I, though it was said that “no previous war in history has been fought so largely on sugar and so little on alcohol”. More sharply during World War II rationing of sugar led to the use of various artificial sweeteners.(wk)


With the good comes the bad.

Or.

With the bad comes the good.

Dot works the room at dizzying speed.


The influence of sugar runs wide and deep. The ultimate influencer of medical research sugar research sought to influence public health’s recommendations. Dot lurking in the corner as the research takes hold.


Not surprisingly, the result of research on the health effects of sugary food and drink differ significantly, depending upon whether the researcher has financial ties to the food and drink industry. There should be no connection of influence.


If only life were so simple.

Money talks.

Sugar talks.

Dot works the room.

The health risks of both pure cane and artificial sweeteners are wide and far reaching.


Health risks including obesity, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes. overconsumption of sugar can lower alertness and increase fatigue within an hour of consumption.


Wow.

The power of sugar.


In addition, tooth decay is the result of sugars high consumption.


Empty calories.


Not surprisingly, the manufacturers of sugar products, try to throw doubt in the minds of consumers by disputing the evidence of potential health problems associated with over consumption.


It is a dance.

A dance of the sugar plum fairy?


This time of year, the Yuletide season, is a boom for the sugar industry. The best we can do is watch our intake and be alert. Dot is always offering a tray of goodies.


Otherwise we may crash and burn right along with the sugar rush.

What is pure enjoyment to one person may land another person into a coma of high and sugary twinkles.


Everything in moderation.


The best news of all.

The body knows.

The body keeps the score.

The body has the muscle memory to warn us of impending doom.

It is the little voice inside our heads that tells us whether to keep going, yield, or stop.


The ultimate shut off valve.

The personal shut off indicator switch

Listen carefully. To your gut.

Before Dot takes up residence.

Otherwise what goes down may come up.🤕🤮


Enjoy the upcoming holidays.


Stay safe and sound!

And

Watch out for the safety of one another.

Dot is as large as a cube and as small as a pinch of pixie dust.













December 10, 2023 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.