5 comments

General

Sara

I cannot believe today is actually here – It’s MOVING DAY!  Saving since college, my dream of owning my own home is finally a reality! I cannot believe I did this! It’s the perfect condo with a great balcony that I am going to decorate perfectly. Mom and Dad will be so impressed, if they ever get around to visiting. The last time I saw them was graduation. The time before that was when I came home for Christmas. Mom would love the natural light that streams in from these bay windows. If I make a PERFECT window seat on one of them, maybe Dad will sit with me, and we can share morning coffee on a lazy Sunday reading the paper like we used to when I was a kid.

 

No one believed me when I said that I would be the first to own my own home.  But I had to. Just like everything else, I have to show that “I’ve got this.”  Jim has been so supportive helping me move. Since we hooked up over Spring Break, things have been a little weird, but he definitely came through. He and Jennifer were so understanding coming to every open house with me.  They are the best; the only two that really know and understand me. I don’t know what I would have done without my friends these last four years. 


Crap! I’ve got to check on the appliance delivery, they should have been here by now. I’m starting to get scared that this is not going to go the way I planned. The appliances HAVE to be here today so I can start planning my house warming party. What if something went wrong?


 “No! Don’t put the table there! It has to go over against the opposite wall.” Ugh! I love my friends, but they really have no design skills whatsoever! Once today is done, I’m going to have the entire squad over for brunch. It will be my way to thank them for always being there for me. Now I just have to get these appliances delivered on time.



Jim (Sara’s friend from college)

This chick has more crap than anyone I’ve ever seen! Talk about a spoiled brat! And, she is spending the entire time on the phone and talking about buying “aesthetically perfect pillows.”  What the hell have I gotten myself into?  Maybe she could pick up a box to two or help move this mattress instead!


Sara used to be such a great girl. When Jen introduced us that fall, I thought I had met “the one.” She was not only pretty, but smart and fun with the biggest smile on her face that would light up a room. Spring Break last year, she told me about her life growing up – wealthy family, shopping every weekend with Daddy’s credit card, her new white BMW at 16 – you know the type. What I didn’t realize was how sad she felt. Underneath it all was a girl that didn’t really know who she was; she shared how scared she was about the future. She was real. Not this perfect person with a perfect life, but a real person with real fears and worries. She shared with me why she feels the need to be so perfect. I tried to tell her that she didn’t need to put on a show; she was perfect just being herself.  She truly is perfect in the most imperfect way. We connected on a level that I never thought possible. But, the next day, it all changed. Now, there is this weird awkwardness. 


“No! Don’t put the table there! It has to go over against the opposite wall.” Are you kidding me? Get off your damn phone and move it yourself! I’m so done! Why do I always let girls take advantage of me like this?



Stan and Emile (college sweethearts)

When are Jim and Sara going to finally get together? Look at how cute they are! Her smile is so bright when he walks past, and he cannot take his eyes off of her. It would be so nice to have a couple to hang out with. The five of us were fine as a group in college, but it’s time to start getting on with our lives. Sara is the first one to get her own house. We are definitely falling behind, but that girl has always been ahead of the curve. At school, she was always the first to present, the first to sign up to help the local community, the first to jump in with that giant smile to greet new students. Parent’s weekend was the only time you could see a tiny break in her perfect world, but it was never for very long. Sara just joined our families for dinner and activities when her parents didn’t show.


We are a little jealous though. This condo is amazing! All the natural light makes it feel so airy. We need to get our act together. The baby is coming in February, and our one bedroom apartment is just not going to cut it. Maybe Sara can help us find a place. She is so good at everything she does. It’s intimidating until you get to know her. And then you realize how deeply she cares for other people always wanting them to be happy. She is just amazingly perfect.


“No! Don’t put the table there! It has to go over against the opposite wall.” That’s it Sara. Take charge, girl! You got this!



Jennifer (college roommate)

Ok, seriously? I’m a sweaty mess moving her boxes up to this second floor, and she’s sitting on the damn phone! Who the hell is she talking to anyway? All of her friends are here! 


I made such a mistake introducing Jim to Sara during Fall Rush. He is so perfect. But, he only has eyes for Sara. She gets everything she wants ALL THE TIME! I mean look at this place! I bet her Daddy bought it for her, and Mommy will probably hire an interior decorator to make it “perfect;” just like the rest of Sara’s life. No one knows all of the nights I sat with tissues and listened to her sob over how lonely she felt. No one was there the night after her and Jim hooked up and she was frantic worried that she “totally messed up everything.” No one heard her leave countless messages reminding her parents about Parent’s Weekend, and then working behind the scenes to make sure she was not left out. Sara is an amazing person and I feel really sorry for her that her parents were never around, but the drama is overwhelming! If things aren’t absolutely perfect , she has a complete and total meltdown. I love her, but I do NOT love the drama that comes with her.


“No! Don’t put the table there! It has to go over against the opposite wall.” Ut-oh, I better do some damage control or Jim is going to put a hole in the wall. He’s too good for her.

May 08, 2020 15:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Terri Thompson
14:51 May 14, 2020

Really enjoyed getting to view the same scene through different lenses. Very thought provoking.

Reply

15:50 May 14, 2020

Thanks Terri. I always appreciate your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lacie Nairn
05:35 May 14, 2020

The way you wrote Sara was so perfect! It had that edge of infuriating needed for her character. I loved the different viewpoints and how each additional viewpoint enhanced the overall scene.

Reply

13:51 May 14, 2020

OMG! Thank you! That is exactly what I was going for, and I am so happy it came through for you. Much love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lacie Nairn
05:35 May 14, 2020

The way you wrote Sara was so perfect! It had that edge of infuriating needed for her character. I loved the different viewpoints and how each additional viewpoint enhanced the overall scene.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.