Amaranthine

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Getting hit by a truck hurt like hell.


What started out as a typical day turned into something inconceivable. The moment I woke up, my body felt heavy and almost alien to me. As I looked in the mirror I found dark circles underneath my eyes and my skin was sickly pale. My copper-colored hair was dull but it was more unruly than usual. I tried my best to tame it with my brush before entering the bathroom.


I was debating on going back to bed but I had to get to the university and submit my term paper before the professor failed me. I quickly showered against my will and dressed for the day. The hot water did nothing to energize me. I yawned and stretched as I descended the staircase. I smelled the pancakes even before I saw them stacked high on the table. My mother had her back to me but she knew I was there.


"Good morning, Morgan. I prepared your favorite," she said, still busy with flipping more pancakes. "Has your father left yet?"


I spied a familiar pair of brown leather shoes near the front door. "No. he's still here," I replied.


My mother spun on her heel with another plate of pancakes in hand. "Goodness. That man will be the death of me. He was pestering me last night insisting that I wake him early and I do just that, but what does he do? He grumbles and hides under the covers."


At that moment, we heard thunderous steps from the top of the stairs. Soon enough my father appeared with a messy mop of hair and his tie hanging crooked around his neck. "What time is it?" he asked, clearly out of breath.


"It's nearly eight o'clock, you stubborn man." my mother sounded angry but she instinctively reached for his necktie and fixed it. "Here," she said, handing him a brown paper bag. "I've packed your lunch. Now get to work."


My father looked at her apologetically and kissed my mother on the cheek. "What would I do without you?" Without a moment of hesitation, he slipped on his shoes and ran out of the door.


"Honestly, it's a miracle that he doesn't get fired or reprimanded at all. What about you dear?" She joined me at the table.


"What? Oh, I'm sorry," My eyes were heavy and I was trying really hard to stay awake. "I'm not really hungry, mother." I stood up and left before I could hear her protest.


I leaned against the wooden door for a minute or two savoring the sunshine on my face. Our neighbors were all busy hurrying here and there. Melvin, who delivered the morning paper rode by on his bicycle and threw the rolled-up newspaper at our porch, narrowly missing my head.


"Sorry, Morgan!" he shouted.


This was going to be a long day. 


It was noisy at university when I arrived. People were running to class carrying heavy books in hands and bumping into each other without a second glance. I made my way through the sea of students and found myself in the classroom shortly after. My head was throbbing and I was sweating rather profusely when I took a seat. The girl in the next chair asked me if I was feeling okay, or I think she did. I couldn't tell if I was hallucinating or not.


The professor arrived and the class started. The room went dark and a beam of light shone overhead. Black and white images were flashed on the screen but I couldn't remember what they were about.


Half of the day breezed by and I was still in a sorry state. I finally decided to visit the infirmary. The nurse took one look at me and clicked her tongue.


"You're as pale as a sheet, missy. Why didn't you just stay home?"


"Needed...to give...term paper," I whispered, licking my cracked lips.


The nurse shook her head and gave me a glass of water. "I'm sure your teacher would have understood the circumstances. You are not fit to be walking around nor be out of bed even. I'm sending you home. Is there someone who can pick you up?"


My vision was swimming and I could see three identical nurses looking at me with their brows wrinkled in concern. She pushed me down onto one of the beds and placed a damp towel on my burning forehead. "You stay put while I ring up your parents."


"No, don't." I tried to grab her arm but she was already too far away. I closed my eyes and tried to rest but something was tugging at me in the back of my mind. Every time I tried to tune it out, it only got louder. There was a voice calling me.


"Come," it said.


My eyes flew open and for a couple of seconds, I was staring blankly at the ceiling.


"Come," it whispered again.


Something warm encircled my wrist and a wide, strong hand touched my back. It helped me sit up and I blinked studying my surroundings, but I was alone.


"Hello? Is anyone there?"


No one answered.


It was one in the afternoon and everyone should be in class. The nurse hadn't returned so I assumed she was still trying to contact my parents. Not wanting to worry them, I stood up and slowly went for the door. I pushed against it with all the energy I had left and everything went blank.


I had no idea what happened next but when I came to my senses I was walking along an old stone bridge that was covered with green moss. The place was familiar. I had been here once when our family took an out of town trip. I was far from the residential area and the nearest house was a kilometer away. My feet were aching and I was even more tired than before. The cool wind blew against my skin which sent chills down my spine. I held the sides of my head and sat on my heels on the ground. 


"What is happening?" I cried.


"Come," the voice in my head called again.


My head snapped up and a figure was standing on the opposite side of the bridge. Long, red hair was covering their face. I could not tell if it was a man or a woman but I saw their lips move.


No other person was around. My hands were beginning to shake as I stood up. "Are you talking to me?" I asked.


The person raised their arm and pointed at me and said something again but I could not hear it no matter how I strained my ears to listen.


"What are you saying?" I shouted, taking a step forward. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end. "Who are you?"


The stranger smiled. "Come closer."


My whole body tensed. The voice that responded sounded otherworldly. I wanted to turn around and run but I was rooted on the spot. I felt a sharp pain in my palms and saw that I had drawn blood by clenching them so tightly that my nails had pierced the skin. The metallic scent of my blood wafted into my nose and I felt...alive. I closed my eyes and swayed slowly side to side, consumed by euphoria.


The figure across the road was still there watching my every move with their hand still outstretched. "Come to me," it whispered.


Without hesitation, I took three, long strides before I was thrown into the air. The first thing I saw was the headlights of a truck. Time had slowed down and from my periphery, I could see my arm bent at a weird angle. Broken pieces of glass were floating in the air like snowflakes. All of a sudden I hit the ground with a loud thud. I couldn't feel my legs and I could barely move my left arm. The stench of blood was stronger now. I tasted it on my tongue.


I started thinking about death. Specifically, my impending death. I was alone, under a bridge, and half-submerged in water. I heard the screeching tires or the truck grow distant as it sped away. The driver must have been too afraid to face the consequences of what he had done. I tried to take a gulp of air but it hurt too much. My parents suddenly came into mind. They might be looking for me. I did, after all, leave university after apparently escaping from the nurse.


"Are you in pain, little one?" a voice asked.


I was surprised to hear another voice. I craned my neck and saw a handsome man with straight, black hair standing over me. He was very tall and was wearing a suit. I had not heard him approach and I suddenly remembered, where was the other person with me on the bridge?


"Someone...?" I whispered.


The man kneeled down and bent closer. "What is it?"


"Someone...was with m-me."


He frowned. "I think you are mistaken, my dear. You were alone."


A feeling of icy cold washed over me and tears began streaming down my cheeks. Slowly I shook my head. "Don't...don't want to die."


"Hush." the man said in a soft voice. "Don't worry, little one." He tucked my hair behind my ear and kissed me on the forehead. "Everything will be alright."


I looked into his blood-red eyes and watched as he opened his mouth. His canines elongated and in a blink of an eye, my neck began to burn. The man was biting me. I could hear him sucking and moaning appreciatively. I gasped and pulled the stranger's hair but he was not budging.


"Stop!" I screamed with my last ounce of strength.


With every gulp that he made the world went dimmer and dimmer until it all faded to black.


I felt my body swaying side to side and I was back on the bridge. But the person across from me didn't have red hair but black. He grinned devilishly showing his bloody fangs. I screamed and gradually, my eyes began to focus. I was looking up at a rocky ceiling and the walls around me were wet and moss-covered.


"Close your eyes." Again I was face to face with my attacker but his eyes were now honey-colored and gentle. He was carrying me in his arms with no effort at all.


I pushed against his chest. "Where are you taking me? Put me down."


"Shush. Stop squirming lest I drop you on the ground," he looked at me sternly and strange enough my body seemed to follow. "We'll be there soon," he said.


I wanted to fight him but I was immobile as a statue. I resigned to frowning and looking away from him. I could have sworn he was laughing at me. I tried staying conscious in case he tried to bite me again but eventually, I gave in and let my body go limp.


After what seemed like an eternity, I woke up and felt soft, velvety fabric against my palms. I was on a massive canopied bed draped with sheer, lilac curtains. The walls were made of large stones and the only door was big and wooden. It looked very old but the rest of the furniture was as grand and new as the bed. I forced myself to get up and I ached all over. I noticed that my shoes and socks were gone. I flinched and remembered my broken limbs expecting to see protruding bones and bruises but they were all fine. I wiggled my fingers and toes still not believing what had happened.


Suddenly the door swung open and in came a person with long white hair. I almost thought it was a woman until he spoke in a deep and rich voice. "I am pleased to see that you are finally awake. Allow me to introduce myself," He took a graceful bow. "I am Lamier. Master of the Inner Coven." His skin was like porcelain and his eyes were bright silver.


"I'm sorry. The inner what?' I asked.


"I am sure this is a lot to take in. You, my dear, are now one of us," Lamier said.


"I still don't understand. What is this place?"


"This is the Inner Coven, your new home," Lamier smiled. "Maybe a familiar face will help you adjust." he waved his hand and another person came out of the shadows. The black-haired man.


"You! What did you do to me?" I clutched the bed sheets tightly and looked around the room planning my escape.


"Please, I do not wish to hurt you" Lamier held up a hand stopping me. "We are in a highly secure fortress and everyone here is under my command. You cannot escape." he then turned his attention to the man at his side. "This is Gustav, he is your sire. From now on, you will listen to him and do his bidding."


I wrinkled my nose. "What am I his slave?" I spat out, shocked.


"No no, you misunderstand. Think of him as a father-figure. He will never mean you any harm. In fact, he did save you from your unfortunate predicament, am I right?"


Memories of the crash, the pain, and the blood came rushing through my head. I screamed in agony and pushed my head into the mattress. My body felt hot and my sweat was dripping on the sheets.


"Do not fight it, child. Let it happen." Lamier called out. "It will be over soon and you will truly be a child of the night."


I turned and rolled on the bed like a madwoman. I was howling and panting. Saliva was dripping from my open mouth. "Make...it...stop!" My voice sounded different and guttural. Almost like a growl. I felt my nails digging into the mattress scratching and tearing the fabric to shreds. Lamier and Gustav were calmly standing at a distance studying me. Neither of them blinked.


My clenched fists were flailing wildly, hitting anything it came in contact with. I got up and scratched the bedposts and pulled at the curtains. With a final scream, I fell face-first into the mess of feathers and cloth.


I heard soft footsteps from the side of my head and Gustav's amber eyes came into view. He looked at me up and down and touched my wrist, feeling for my pulse. He flinched and turned to Lamier. His lips were moving but I couldn't hear anything.


I never thought it was possible but Lamier became even whiter. Within a second the Master Vampire was also looking down at me. He placed a hand to my cheek and bit his lip. "You are right. She did not transform."

May 31, 2020 08:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.